Pedals for track bike - suggestions?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Pedals for track bike - suggestions?

Postby high_tea » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm

I've just built myself a track bike and I'm wondering what to do about pedals. I have a pair of Keo Classics (?) on my road bike and I'd like to use the same shoes. Swapping the pedals between the two is going to get old very quicky. I'm not too bothered about weight and whatnot and don't want to spend a heap of money. I see Exustars on torpedo7 for $50 that supposedly use the same cleats - has anyone used these (or other reasonably-priced, Look-compatible pedals) on the track?

Thanks
high_tea

by BNA » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 pm

BNA

Re: Pedals for track bike - suggestions?

Postby Chaderotti » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:02 pm

I wouldn't risk 'cheap' pedals on the track. I'm using Shimano 105's on the track with the tension screw tightened all the way down, has never let go.
In saying that, you're best bet would be getting another pair of Look pedals. I wouldn't imagine the spring on cheaper pedals to be all that flash?
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird
Chaderotti

Postby toppity » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 am

I'm not going to help much but I've gone from Look style pedals to Keywin with track adaptors for track this year. I have them on my road bike as well (nil adaptors). They are light (sub 200 grams) and, unless you start shearing pins with sideways movement, you are locked in permanent like. They are available for around $140 (for the Ti ones) from overseas which includes pedals, cleats and adaptors.

But they are not look compatable.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby high_tea » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm

toppity wrote:I'm not going to help much but I've gone from Look style pedals to Keywin with track adaptors for track this year. I have them on my road bike as well (nil adaptors). They are light (sub 200 grams) and, unless you start shearing pins with sideways movement, you are locked in permanent like. They are available for around $140 (for the Ti ones) from overseas which includes pedals, cleats and adaptors.

Yeah, I've never tried Keywins but they sound good. Trouble is, I'd be up for a pair for my roadie as well. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking. Did your Looks work ok on the track?
high_tea

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 pm

high_tea wrote:I've just built myself a track bike and I'm wondering what to do about pedals. I have a pair of Keo Classics (?) on my road bike and I'd like to use the same shoes. Swapping the pedals between the two is going to get old very quicky. I'm not too bothered about weight and whatnot and don't want to spend a heap of money. I see Exustars on torpedo7 for $50 that supposedly use the same cleats - has anyone used these (or other reasonably-priced, Look-compatible pedals) on the track?

Thanks

The Exausters do not use the same cleat, they use the older Look Delta, which is not compatible with your current cleats.

I suggest you get another set of Keo's, whatever one allows for the highest preload and then attach double kerin straps, unless you want to pay for another pair of shoes.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toppity » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:47 am

high_tea wrote:
toppity wrote:I'm not going to help much but I've gone from Look style pedals to Keywin with track adaptors for track this year. I have them on my road bike as well (nil adaptors). They are light (sub 200 grams) and, unless you start shearing pins with sideways movement, you are locked in permanent like. They are available for around $140 (for the Ti ones) from overseas which includes pedals, cleats and adaptors.

Yeah, I've never tried Keywins but they sound good. Trouble is, I'd be up for a pair for my roadie as well. Why did you switch if you don't mind me asking. Did your Looks work ok on the track?

I bought them because they have the track adaptors and are very light (The Ti ones are under 200 grams for the pair) and the CrMo ones are still only 250 grams. Even having to buy two pairs isn't that expensive. The link below is to a Canadian shop that sells them on ebay (these are the cheaper version). I've bought both my Ti ones from them and he has been excellent, absolutley no problems. Track adaptors are an additional US$20

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Keywin-CRM-Pedal ... 43a032fb7d

With the dollar so strong these are a bargin. The only thing you have to think about is the offset. They are avaibale in 5 settings (i think) and the setting determines how far the pedal is away from the crank arm. They also have a very low profile cleat which is also super light, so they are esy to get around on. If you buy two pair you end up with a spare pair of cleats as well. They screw into the standard look pedal mount on your shoes.

I can't think of too much wrong with them to be honest. The only think that comes to mind (and it's only minor) is that they don't always hang in a great position to get into them. Minor stuff though when considering them for the track.
toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:49 am

sorry, forgot about the "Look pedal on track" part of the question. My Look pedals were o.k. on the track. With the Keywins + track adaptors you can never pull out, and that gives me heaps more confidence.
toppity

Postby rustychisel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:06 am

I'd go with toppity's advise, TBH.

The one thing you DO NOT want with pedals on the track is an unexpected pullout, which is why all serious trackies use straps as well.

I've never pulled out of my Keywins (4 pairs and counting), road or track.
rustychisel

Postby KenGS » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 pm

Chaderotti wrote:I wouldn't risk 'cheap' pedals on the track. I'm using Shimano 105's on the track with the tension screw tightened all the way down, has never let go

--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby toppity » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:29 am

^^ :D
toppity

Return to Buying a bike / parts