Follow the heart or use my brain

BJ

Follow the heart or use my brain

Postby BJ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi all,

Thanks and apprecitation in advance.

I now find myself without a pushie and would like to head back to the Darkside.

My dilema is this; I would like a MTB, Giant Alias is a particular bike that I have shown interest in. However I think I have a tendancy towards visions of granduer, and my well meaning plans to take such a bike out to the hills and throw it along with my self down a hillside somewhere.

Then the realism sets in, you see I am a Dad of 2 boys, my eldest loves the idea of sitting in a seat strapped to a bicycle while poor ol' dad does the leg work. Also said bike would be more of a commuter to work and home etc.

Given a MTB traditionally is heavy and I by no means plan to invest in any bike over $1k couple of hundred either way would be acceptable, but def no more. To get something lighter, I am thinking a Hybrid, or flat bar roadie of some descript.

Is a hybrid frame based on a MTB frame that could in time become the eqivelant of a bike as mentioned above should the day come that I can deliver myself unto the Mountain...or am I dreaming. Any ideas?

Apologies for the long post, but I gave myself creative licence.

Cheers

BJ

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:20 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:39 pm

G'day BJ,

Welcome aboard.

I'd also recommend the mountain bike. With road-going slicks, it will easily provide a "weekend-with-the-kids" bike for getting around the local paved tracks. Swap the tyres out for some decent off-road knobbies and you're out there, ready to endanger your income and health! :)

A hybrid bike won't be much lighter and you'll be essentially stuck with a road or bike path bike.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:40 pm

I have a Giant Alias, it's a solid entry level MTB and a bit heavy at 14kg, but I think the new ones might be a bit lighter. A lot (~2.7kg) of that is in the decent but low end Dart 2 fork.

The stock Hutchinson Scorpion tyres I got are lousy for road, rocks, and sand as they are soft compound and wear quickly. A set of slicks for road use would do well.

Most hybrids are not well suited for any serious off-road riding - they tend to be more comfort oriented in set up and will not be as strong. You can ride a trail on most hybrids but have to be somewhat more careful. Flat bar road definitely not for off road.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:41 pm

PS - don't worry about the length of your post. Richard will come in shortly and make a mockery of your brevity with another novel. He's probably already composing it as I type. :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

BJ

Postby BJ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:54 pm

Thankyou all for the replies, again the spark for a MTB has arised.

Cheers

BJ

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi Bj,

Go with the heart, get the MTB. It gives you so many more options as Graeme points out. If your keen to do some off roading its the only real way to go.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Forget hybrids ...

If you are intending to commute, it might be worth checking if they have lugs to mount a rack.

Depending on the type of off-road trails ... a cyclo-cross bike might do it for you. However, they are not cheap ... and may not fit into the 1K budget.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Kalgrm wrote:PS - don't worry about the length of your post. Richard will come in shortly and make a mockery of your brevity with another novel. He's probably already composing it as I type. :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
Funny how that was the first thing that sprung into my mind too :lol: .
Go the mountain bike...sorry if you want to go to the darkide a hybrid isn't really going to cut it :twisted:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Yeah, it must be an epic saga - he still hasn't posted it yet! ;)
---------------------

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm trying to work out why he's talking about the darkside but then starts talking about mtbs. Maybe he's planning to go fixed gear mountain biking 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm

What Kalgrm said first up!

Get the mtb and put slicks on it for everyday use. Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap wheel set so you don't have to fiddle with tyres and tubes when you want to go and play off road?

My original rigid mtb has done way more km on road than off (including several thousand km touring and travelling) and since I started taking my daughter on the bike is about the only one I get a chance to ride.

Steph

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 am

G'Day BJ, welcome outside :wink:

Go the MTB mate, they're way more versatile when you're starting off, the roadie will prolly come later :shock:

Giant build a top bike, I've got two :D ... but (Golden Rule) you've gotta try them out before you buy, make sure they feel "right" under your bum, a poorly fitting bike is a huge turn off.

Good luck with the hunt.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:36 pm

Hey BJ,

+1 more vote for the MTB, I ride a MTB nearly everyday, from bashing up to the shop, cutting some grass/dirt around the place or riding the 40km to work twice a week.

If you get some slicks it will make the ride alot smoother, but you can also use them on dirt if you get a good set (continentals are good).

Also for the young one they do the childseats which mount onto the bike by the wheel lugs. The seat slides onto a rack so when you want the seat off you hit a few things and it slides off, perfect to put your bag or whatever on for your trip to work.

Just my opinion.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

BJ

Postby BJ » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks again to all. Some good points an advice.

BJ