Hub Dynamos in Australia

Aushiker

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 am

rifraf wrote:I rate the Xiaomi batteries and now own three of them though I've yet to experiment with charging them via the dyno-hub.
Good to know. I have ordered an Anker charging block. Will sort out a short power cable later and will now order a battery.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:22 pm

rifraf wrote:Its not a good sign that I'm already imagining the possibilities of colour combinations.
I like the polished silver but like the thought of black highlights.
How could you possibly resist?
rifraf wrote:I'm looking forward to eyeballing your setup. I was trying to imagine where you might be keeping your battery amongst your varied options of "gas tank" type bag, chaff or frame bag.
It's in my top tube bag along with my camera, and is connected to both the charging port and the input port on the Beacon. I only use on trips though, don't bother around town
rifraf wrote:Oh and where are you hosting your pics :?: :idea: I'd given up for a while after a certain sites attempt at extortion. :evil:

Some are on Imgur, others are on Google Photos.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:19 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:Its not a good sign that I'm already imagining the possibilities of colour combinations.
I like the polished silver but like the thought of black highlights.
How could you possibly resist?
rifraf wrote:I'm looking forward to eyeballing your setup. I was trying to imagine where you might be keeping your battery amongst your varied options of "gas tank" type bag, chaff or frame bag.
It's in my top tube bag along with my camera, and is connected to both the charging port and the input port on the Beacon. I only use on trips though, don't bother around town
rifraf wrote:Oh and where are you hosting your pics :?: :idea: I'd given up for a while after a certain sites attempt at extortion. :evil:

Some are on Imgur, others are on Google Photos.
Hi RonK,

thanks for the update.

They are an attractive and interesting headlight.

As for resisting, they don't actually appear to do anything different to my E-werk/Edelux combo although I like the idea of the Beacons added horsepower in the lumins department.

Currently I'm going to hold off as I'm keen to try to escape from WA's February weather to a tour locale of cooler clime and thus thinking the money better spent on air fare tickets than nice shiny toys just now.

Having just bought a new gps and watch, the pennies are in shorter supply this close to xmas.

Other justifications include my suspicion that the gorgeous Beacon might just weigh more than my current combo, which baring a need to replace a rusty usb outlet cable (now done), has given me no cause for complaint.

That justification might come to naught though when I take into account the E-werk cache battery - hmmmmmm

I make sure I'm camped well before dark whilst touring and currently don't ride after dark much where I live due to the apparent abundance of skill lacking car drivers in my neck of the woods so suspect all those wonderful lumens might be a little redundant for my use.

It sure is purdy though and has a sirens song to an old magpie like myself with it ability to mix n match colour scheme with polished metal and anodised black which would offer a nice bit of bling to my black Ogre.

The forth in from the right is an approximation of what I was referring to as "highlights", though I was thinking of the main body in polished metal and just the front ring in black.

I shall revisit the decision in the new year.

Thanks for the update on the photo hosting, I shall do some homework in this area in time.

I haven't decided yet, but currently leaning towards a gas-tank type bag the same as Andrews for my battery.

I suspect the yellow would be a decent fit with my yellow/black Ortliebs.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Any tips for getting rid of micro scratches all over the headlight lens?
I must have wiped the lens when covered in dirt which scratched it to the shizer.
Only thing I can thing of is like a car headlight, sand back the surface with a very fine sandpaper and respray with UV clear paint?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Crawf wrote:Any tips for getting rid of micro scratches all over the headlight lens?
I must have wiped the lens when covered in dirt which scratched it to the shizer.
Only thing I can thing of is like a car headlight, sand back the surface with a very fine sandpaper and respray with UV clear paint?
Sounds like a If its a plastic lens - toothpaste, some cloth and time on your hands is usually enough to polish out the scratches

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 pm

My Anker PowerPort Speed 5 arrived to day. Intial impressions are pretty positive. Weight is good given what it is (feels lighter than my older five port charger) and the form factor is not too bad. I can see this working out okay bikepacking.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:My Anker PowerPort Speed 5 arrived to day. Intial impressions are pretty positive. Weight is good given what it is (feels lighter than my older five port charger) and the form factor is not too bad. I can see this working out okay bikepacking.
I don’t remember what power cord was supplied with my Anker charger, but you can get one with a flat power plug that is light and compact.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:50 pm

RonK wrote: I don’t remember what power cord was supplied with my Anker charger, but you can get one with a flat power plug that is light and compact.
Something like this ...

This eBay seller sells a 500mm cable which should do the trick.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Similar, but the plug on mine is even smaller.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Dynamo lovers, I'm clearing out my dynamo gear and have some good kit for sale in the FS forum.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Crawf wrote:Dynamo lovers, I'm clearing out my dynamo gear and have some good kit for sale in the FS forum.
Hiya Crawf,

what are you gonna try next :?:

Cheers

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

Battery lights because there is less hassle :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:00 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Battery lights because there is less hassle :)
What hassle is there once your set up?

I consider my dynamo set up a fit and forget.

Its been on my bike since 2012 and I think all I've done is change once the position of the headlight.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 am

rifraf wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Battery lights because there is less hassle :)
What hassle is there once your set up?

Its been on my bike since 2012 and I think all I've done is change once the position of the headlight.
Electrical wires and bicycles have been a combination that I haven't had much luck with over the years.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:26 am

singlespeedscott wrote: Electrical wires and bicycles have been a combination that I haven't had much luck with over the years.
With the level of investment to get set up, I can understand your pain if the results were problematic.

I've read of some people having difficulties when their wiring diagram utilises the frame as part of the circuit, but know its not everyone who does this that experiences the problems.

I've not had any real problems to date so can't offer any wisdom on your issues.

I did get some corrosion issues on a couple of connections which put paid to my circuitry but upon examination, was reasonably obvious what was affecting continuous current and mirroring Australian cricket representatives, some judicious application of some sandpaper saved the day.

My cache battery gave up the ghost and the replacement doesn't appear to store as much power as its predecessor but my issues have been for the most part minor irritants.

Best of luck with your battery lights.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm

For me, the biggest win with the Dynamo lights, apart when the dynamo itself failed (well, the bearings did) is that I don't have to worry that part way through a ride at night, "will they last till I get back ?".

Mind you, I never really had any real problems with my Chinese lights either.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 pm

rifraf wrote:
+ 1
Andrew

Jubas

Postby Jubas » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am

Super useful thread - thanks for all of the contributions!

I've just ordered a shimano dynamo hub for a 650b wheelbuild that I'm putting together. It's very much on a budget, so was a toss-up between Shimano and SP. I went for the former as it was slightly cheaper and user-serviceable. It's a 12mm hub and there seemed to be some issues with the SP dynamo hubs with that configuration - and I'd rather not have to send it back to the factory if I was unlucky.

I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for tracking down second hand lights? There was one posted on BNA a while back, but it seems to be fairly rare. Other there other AU forums that I might track down?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:48 am

I got to try out the K-Lite Ultra MTB version on my commute today.

Wow is all I can say. I have been using an Exposure Revo since the end of 2016 and this is so much better, and way better than the AXA 70luxx I had fitted, which is really not suited to a completely dark commute in the country. Great light for the city though.

I am now saving to buy my own one.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:08 am

Mugglechops wrote:I got to try out the K-Lite Ultra MTB version on my commute today.

1300 lumens and $325. No details of battery pack, or is it dynamo run (hence in this thread ?)

Presuming the latter (as there are no details on the link), what dyno's can power it ?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:16 am

Yeah it's dyno powered. He does one for ebikes that are battery powered.

I assumed it can be powered by any of the common dyno hubs.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I got to try out the K-Lite Ultra MTB version on my commute today.

1300 lumens and $325. No details of battery pack, or is it dynamo run (hence in this thread ?)

Presuming the latter (as there are no details on the link), what dyno's can power it ?
Believe dynamo powered going off http://www.bikepacking.com/news/klite-bikepacker-ultra/
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 am

Hey Muggles,

A couple of questions on the KLite

a) Is the cable exit swappable to the other side?
b) Is there a mode selector for different light outputs?
c) How flexy is the cable?

Cheers!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:12 am

a) You can mount the light the other way up which puts the cable on the other side.
b) The light is automatic. It increases brigthness with your speed.
c) The cable can be as flexy as you want as you can just build your own.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Believe dynamo powered going off http://www.bikepacking.com/news/klite-bikepacker-ultra/
Cool !!