Hub Dynamos in Australia

Tim

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Aushiker wrote: If I get the Supernova I will have a Shimano, a SON and Supernova dynamos so a chance to do a bit of comparison :)
Andrew, I'll be interested to see the results over time. My Shimano dynamo is doing well but its still quite new.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Tim wrote:
eeksll wrote: Looking at the exploded diagram wandering if only having the single set of bearings is a disadvantage. Also wandering if it is the reason any time I stand and ride (to get over a hill) I get disc rotor rub.
I thought the same thing when I looked at the diagram for my Shimano Dynohub. After a bit of research I found out there are in fact two sets of bearings like a normal hub. Its just that Shimano don't consider them user serviceable hence no inclusion on the exploded diagram. They are serviceable but a fairly fiddly and delicate job. There is a soldered on wire that runs in a groove along the axle that exits at the plastic connector. Apparently it is easy to break the soldered connection when opening the drive side bearings up and render the whole unit kapput.
thanks for the info, in case I decide to do some servicing. Hoping I have no reason to pull it apart for a very long time though.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:35 am

For those interested, this eBay seller was recommended in a thread over at MTBR. The seller has a 700c rim with a Sanyo dynamo going for US$85. Nice price to get into dynamo lightening.

Andrew
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:02 am

Aushiker wrote:If I get the Supernova I will have a Shimano, a SON and Supernova dynamos so a chance to do a bit of comparison
Geez, I was worried that we'd miss your famous 1% contribution while you were travelling. :D I have SON, SRAM, Shimano and about to try one of those SP hubs if you want a bit of cross-testing.
More to the point I've just built up a spare 700C front wheel with the SRAM dynamo hub, wired this to a B+M Cyo senso headlight and B+M Seculite taillight. The headlight is McGyvered to a spare bracket that NiteRider sells for the Minewt lights, easily wraps around a handlebar and clamped with those rubber o-ring bands (http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=30100). The taillight I did something similar but had to actually machine and attack with a file a small block of aluminium to make an adaption of the NiteRider mount, used the other spare rubber o-ring from the NiteRider kit, have this set to mount on seatstays or rack. Basically I can move this across to other bikes, such as when I want to use my roadracer for an Audax, or loan it to a friend pre-wired. Under $200 cost easily.
Lots of people I know say they might try a dynamo light setup one day, here's an easy way to try it out. It only takes a minute to install.

Edit: Supernova actually makes an o-ring handlebar mount that would work, might be suitable for McGyvering for a taillight as well, for about $18 each plus postage. I'm not that classy. http://www.roseversand.com/product/detail/aid:489133

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:44 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
Aushiker wrote:I have SON, SRAM, Shimano and about to try one of those SP hubs if you want a bit of cross-testing.
Differently interested in your feedback on the various hubs. I was just looking at those Shutter Precision (SP) hubs last night. Is the Supernova one an actual SP hub? The price on the SP hubs is quite friendly :)

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:03 am

Aushiker wrote:The price on the SP hubs is quite friendly :)

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
(Hope your mending so you can soon return to your dream tour :!: )
Because of Sons 5 year warranty, I'm yet to be convinced of the economics of buying
"any" model hub that may be half the price but less than half the warranty. :shock:
Although I certainly understand the attraction of handing out less "folding".
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:21 pm

rifraf wrote:Because of Sons 5 year warranty, I'm yet to be convinced of the economics of buying
"any" model hub that may be half the price but less than half the warranty.
I understand where you are coming from but for my 26" build, the dynamo is not going to get a huge amount of usage so I will really not get the value of the SON five year warranty. For the commuter that is a different matter and I will now rethink my choice there.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Doing a bit more research and it seems that http://www.klite.com.au/ are the distributors in Australia for SP dynamos. Going by a June 2012 posting on their Facebook page they are selling the SP PD-8 for US$130 which is very competitive with the eBay price.

Also for those interested ... there are a couple of test videos comparing an SP dynamo with a SON dynamo.

Andrew
Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for the help earlier

I'm going to go for a SonDeluxe hub in an effort to buy right the first time.

A couple of questions though before I "lock it in Eddy"

I'm going to use it on my Oppy Road Bike but should I go for the disc version so I can migrate it to future builds? (Tout Terrain frame = :D )

Second question - I don't roll with panniers. However I like the look of some of the B&M rear lights made for panniers. I should imagine that a mount could be made to rig one up say under the seat. Anything wrong with this train of thought? Should I just go with the B&M Seculite Plus?
2012 Oppy A4

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:24 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I'm going to use it on my Oppy Road Bike but should I go for the disc version so I can migrate it to future builds? (Tout Terrain frame = :D )
Not 100% certain on this but have seen this approach suggested elsewhere so guess it is okay. I assume all it means is you are carrying is a little more weight given the need for the disc mount. The wheel spacings are the same no?.
Second question - I don't roll with panniers. However I like the look of some of the B&M rear lights made for panniers. I should imagine that a mount could be made to rig one up say under the seat. Anything wrong with this train of thought? Should I just go with the B&M Seculite Plus?
I assume you are referring to racks and not panniers :) I can only comment from the perspective of my Busch and Muller Toplight Line Plus and as you can see in the photo is only designed for rack mounting. I suspect you would have a bit of work to come up with a means of mounting it on the seat post. I also assume the rack only mount Busch and Muller lights are of a similar design to the Toplight in terms of the mount.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Thanks for the help earlier

b] though before I "lock it in Eddy"

I'm going to go for a SonDeluxe hub in an effort to buy right the first time.
Dynamo hubs are great.
Have you considered the new Son28?
I use a Sondelux but I have 20" wheels which the hub was originally designed for.
The Sondelux will be fine for bigger wheels with a led headlight but the output "may" not be enough to utilise an E-Werk (completely) or similar due to the wheels rotating slower than originally designed for.
I mention this as you may not want to charge a gps, cell phone etc. at the moment but perhaps
you may change your mind down the track.
Just a thought.
Last edited by rifraf on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:33 pm

I was thinking that this would work to mount it under the seat (like the saddle bag) (Picture from Peter White Cycles)

2012 Oppy A4

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 pm

That's much nicer than what I've done, which was bolt about three different battery light mounts together. Might have to get me one...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I was thinking that this would work to mount it under the seat (like the saddle bag) (Picture from Peter White Cycles)
Wasn't aware of those. Could work. I guess depends on your saddle.

BTW I agree with Rifraf. I would go the Son28.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Seculite Plus is a slightly older model of tail-light, just a single (but bright) LED, 1W if I recall. It is a very neat set up if you want to run a tail-light but not pannier rack. Just fits neatly to the mudguards - I taped the double-pole cable inside the mudguard with 1" gaffer tape.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 pm

il padrone wrote:Seculite Plus is a slightly older model of tail-light, just a single (but bright) LED, 1W if I recall. It is a very neat set up if you want to run a tail-light but not pannier rack. Just fits neatly to the mudguards - I taped the double-pole cable inside the mudguard with 1" gaffer tape.
Another option is the Spanninga Pixeo Xs which can be mounted on a seatpost or a mudguard.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 am

Or Supernova E3 pro light with rear E3 lights than can be put on rack or on seatpost.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:19 am

Baalzamon wrote:Or Supernova E3 pro light with rear E3 lights than can be put on rack or on seatpost.
Very expensive but. BTW can the rear E3 be used with other front lights?

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 am

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Or Supernova E3 pro light with rear E3 lights than can be put on rack or on seatpost.
Very expensive but. BTW can the rear E3 be used with other front lights?

Andrew
If the light at front can feed it 6V DC then yep it should be ok

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
Dynamo hubs are great.
Have you considered the new Son28?
I use a Sondelux but I have 20" wheels which the hub was originally designed for.
The Sondelux will be fine for bigger wheels with a led headlight but the output "may" not be enough to utilise an E-Werk (completely) or similar due to the wheels rotating slower than originally designed for.
I mention this as you may not want to charge a gps, cell phone etc. at the moment but perhaps
you may change your mind down the track.
Just a thought.

Aushiker wrote:
BTW I agree with Rifraf. I would go the Son28.

Andrew

Thanks Gents

I've redone my wish list and I'm close to placing the order

Those E3 tail lights don't strike me as being visible from the side of the bike. Happy to be wrong
2012 Oppy A4

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
Those E3 tail lights don't strike me as being visible from the side of the bike. Happy to be wrong
Not many battery lights do either. Mars 4.0. I've never seen the E3 tail light in action but I've been told it's crazy bright.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:45 am

KonaCommuter wrote: Those E3 tail lights don't strike me as being visible from the side of the bike. Happy to be wrong
Yes, quite so. I'm not impressed with mine - side visibility is poor, and I don't think a steady light is as noticeable as a flashing light. I'm not sure it is so bright either, but of course cannot see while I'm moving. It's definitely not particularly bright while stopped at intersections, and could easily be lost in the background. I mounted a Cateye TL-LD 1100 as well which is much brighter, flashes, and has side-facing LED's.
I suggest you save having the wiring clutter on the frame and use a battery powered flashing taillight like the TL-LD 1100.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:48 am

RonK wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:
I suggest you save having the wiring clutter on the frame and use a battery powered flashing taillight.
I'll second this opinion as its the route I took.
I do keep a spare set of batteries in my saddlebag but I've not been caught short yet. :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:25 pm

RonK wrote: Yes, quite so. I'm not impressed with mine - side visibility is poor, and I don't think a steady light is as noticeable as a flashing light. I'm not sure it is so bright either, but of course cannot see while I'm moving. It's definitely not particularly bright while stopped at intersections,
This has been bugging me too, I really can't tell how bright they are because you have to be moving. They are extraordinarily small so this is why I have doubts on brightness. I'll have to get the missus to drive behind me with a video cam, sounds silly but I just want see it myself.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:42 pm

KonaCommuter wrote: Those E3 tail lights don't strike me as being visible from the side of the bike. Happy to be wrong
The LED's do protrude, so some side illumination would be visible - how bright is the big question?