Hub Dynamos in Australia

il padrone

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Just looking at the SON hubs they are available in red too. But only 32 and 36 holes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Change your rear hub to black or silver to suit a cheaper SP PD8 dynamo?

But then your going to be forking out for similar costs for say a Son 28 in red
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:40 pm

I kinda like the idea of the dynohub being a different colour - it shows that its no ordinary hub!

E

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:53 pm

il padrone wrote:Just looking at the SON hubs they are available in red too. But only 32 and 36 holes.
And damn expensiveto boot.

Might not have a choice in the end, as I don't want to fork out and additional $170+ for another rim.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm

The SON28 is a great hub dynamo. Sealed bearings, very low drag and by all accounts will give a very long service life (expect >50,000kms). The new version has even lower drag than the one I have, but I am happy to run the lights full-time because this provides conspicuity benefits and I just do not notice any drag. A few years ago when I had a 'senso' headlight that switched on as the light dropped, it would often come on a good bit before the streetlights and the only way I would notice was when a fellow rider would tell me my lights were on.

The SON28 dynahub is a good deal better than the Shimano in this regard. Not sure about the SP, but I'd guess it is also a bit better than that.

Once you've paid the $$$ you will not regret the purchase. When worrying about such costs for the bike I just look at what I would pay for parts and servicing for the car :o Then it all falls into perspective.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:
il padrone wrote:Just looking at the SON hubs they are available in red too. But only 32 and 36 holes.
And damn expensiveto boot.

Might not have a choice in the end, as I don't want to fork out and additional $170+ for another rim.
Michael another option if dosh is tight you don't need to build a wheel up it fits on your current wheel.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/23/sun ... wo-the-hub

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunup-Eco-DS-1R ... 417317e190

Ricky

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

il padrone wrote: ....

The SON28 dynahub is a good deal better than the Shimano in this regard. Not sure about the SP, but I'd guess it is also a bit better than that.

Once you've paid the $$$ you will not regret the purchase. When worrying about such costs for the bike I just look at what I would pay for parts and servicing for the car :o Then it all falls into perspective.
Still the 28 hole (lack of it) that kills that option as well.

And
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:

Michael another option if dosh is tight you don't need to build a wheel up it fits on your current wheel.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/23/sun ... wo-the-hub

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunup-Eco-DS-1R ... 417317e190

Ricky
My style filter kills that one even before I read it.

The funds are not really the issue, it's just that I don't want to spend the money if I don't HAVE to.

The SP hubs are available in 28 hole, and in red as well, but just not SP branded, and I don't need the additional lights that come with the 28 hole red version from exposure.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm

oooh oooh oooh may have found one !!!!!

GBP 71 delivered :P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 pm

do tell

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 pm

find_bruce wrote:do tell

Behold, the Holy Grail

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Front_Hub

Now, just waiting on the delivery time ....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:57 am

Well done that man, a good hub, right number of spoke holes, a great price & it matches his toenails :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:Well done that man, a good hub, right number of spoke holes, a great price & it matches his toenails :D
Thanks for the lead :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Found this interewsting (well, for me anyway) re some comparisons to the typical dynamo's on the market

http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/featu ... ynamos.pdf

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am

Hub has now left Ol Blighty, so I better get the spokes organised

RonK

Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:42 am

Espresso_ wrote:I kinda like the idea of the dynohub being a different colour - it shows that its no ordinary hub!
Yeah - just screams steal me! :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:14 am

RonK wrote:
Espresso_ wrote:I kinda like the idea of the dynohub being a different colour - it shows that its no ordinary hub!
Part of my purchase decision to get my dynamo hub and IGH in polished alloy was an attempt to not stand out.
I'm hoping that my wheels with their stainless spokes and unpainted rims look "run of the mill" to the uninitiated
and offer me a little protection.
I'm hoping my bike leans toward an old school aesthetic which lacks the appeal of bikes with a bigger bling factor.
Whilst it wont pass for vintage, it hopefully passes as a little boring which if I've achieved it, suits me fine.
I could be kidding myself but I'm afraid I think theres a lot of accuracy to RonKs tongue in cheek comment.

Dont get me wrong, as I can appreciate bling.
Cant wait to see your pics of the finished product. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:51 am

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
Part of my purchase decision to get my dynamo hub and IGH in polished alloy was an attempt to not stand out.
I'm hoping that my wheels with their stainless spokes and unpainted rims look "run of the mill" to the uninitiated
and offer me a little protection.
I'm hoping my bike leans toward an old school aesthetic which lacks the appeal of bikes with a bigger bling factor.
Whilst it wont pass for vintage, it hopefully passes as a little boring which if I've achieved it, suits me fine.
I could be kidding myself but I'm afraid I think theres a lot of accuracy to RonKs tongue in cheek comment.

Dont get me wrong, as I can appreciate bling.
Cant wait to see your pics of the finished product. :)
Lol no chance, that's gonna be so bling and shiny :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
And to think I was driving past someone on a bike and I picked out the dynamo hub and it was silver. No hiding from the experienced eye!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Generally when people look at my shopping bike the shiny SON hub gets noticed right away and I get asked "Is that a motor?". Inconspicuous not.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:15 pm

I am thinking black hub, black spokes, black rim, black tyres for my next build. That should do the trick :)

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm

I've just transplanted my Edelux and E-werk with cache battery from the Moulton to the Ogre over the weekend.
Everything is doing what it should as I've used it to charge both my cell phone as well as my Edge 800.
The Edelux is currently attached to the Ogres right hand side V-brake mount as I've yet to determine a final resting place for it.
I no longer have to worry if my new Son28 (in the 700c Ogre build) works ok as I now know its fine.
I thought I might have had some issues but fine tuning my front BB7 has taken up far more of my time and energy than the electrics which is usually a job I avoid. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Crawf wrote: Lol no chance, that's gonna be so bling and shiny :)
Baalzamon wrote: And to think I was driving past someone on a bike and I picked out the dynamo hub and it was silver. No hiding from the experienced eye!
just4tehhalibut wrote:Generally when people look at my shopping bike the shiny SON hub gets noticed right away and I get asked "Is that a motor?". Inconspicuous not.
Its official - I've been kidding myself :!: :P :P :lol: :lol:
I'm off to the garage to add another lock to the bike.
Hmmmm more paranoia, just what I need - now wheres my tinfoil helmet :roll: :wink:
Aushiker wrote:I am thinking black hub, black spokes, black rim, black tyres for my next build. That should do the trick :)

Andrew
This is where I must have gone wrong - not tricky enough.
Sounds good Andrew.
Exactly which bike will your next dynamo hub be going on? :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:52 pm

rifraf wrote:I thought I might have had some issues but fine tuning my front BB7 has taken up far more of my time and energy than the electrics which is usually a job I avoid. :D
Just ordered a BB7 set for my Giant XTC 2 ... may need to call on your expertise :)

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:I thought I might have had some issues but fine tuning my front BB7 has taken up far more of my time and energy than the electrics which is usually a job I avoid. :D
Just ordered a BB7 set for my Giant XTC 2 ... may need to call on your expertise :)

Andrew
I've a couple of web pages I'll dig out and forward to you that I worked from. :)
Happy to come round to drink your coffee and make meaningless suggestions and get in the way. :wink:

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:00 pm

The 'extreme' series of SP hubs that I mentioned last year is now on Ebay, this is the PD-8X hub that comes in 15mm axle plus adaptors for QR and available adaptors for 135mm axles (fat bikes), touted as 6% more efficient than the previous PD-8 model.

If you want a 135mm specific dyno hub for your fattie I saw that there is a SON 28 135 model on the Peter White website. Looks like only a QR version and when I checked the Schmidt website there is no mention of this model.

What is mentioned on Schmidt's is an upgrade for the SON XS (for narrow 74 OLD folder bike hubs) and the new SON XS 100 (100 OLD, normal hubs). Besides a very different shell, choice of colours and lighter the spokes are mounted in slots, direct pull. You can even buy 20H or 24H versions although I noticed that SJS Cycles and probably a few others are only stocking 28H and 32H.

There's an arms race going on with the dyno headlight and hub manufacturers.