Hub Dynamos in Australia

just4tehhalibut

Re: Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:27 am

I've just ordered a Shimano dynamo hub for the Bacchetta Giro20, since I'll not be using the dynamo wheel on this bike often I thought that I'd just try out the cheapish Shimano hubs to see what they're about. Ordered the DH-3D30 that is suited to 20" wheels and it is cheap at only €28 from Rose Versand UK. We'll see if I should have just stuck with a Schmidt SON 28 hub.

Noticed also that Starbike sells the same hub for €59 and you have to buy the overvoltage protection separately. Also the prices on the SON hubs has gone up. Looked at the SP hubs but what was on Ebay was only a couple of models, not the whole range, not the model I wanted. Still, the SP apparently is heavier than the cheaper Shimanos and has more drag when running the light. But then again the SP website is missing details of the 2011 versions of the hubs that are being sold on Ebay, looks like the pre-2011 models are being rebadged to other brands. Confusion that someone else can sort out.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:Noticed also that Starbike sells the same hub for €59 and you have to buy the overvoltage protection separately.
Not that it matters but Starbike prices are shown inclusive VAT of 19%. You need to deduct this (divide by 1.19) to get the price for Australia.

Rose also require a birth date to be given if using guest account or registering. That screams alarm bells to me.

When I try the price goes up for Australia (or are they now charging in Australian dollars but showing it as Euros?) and they don't seem to deduct the VAT or I missing that in the conversion.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi

SON have come out with a new version of the SON28 Deluxe, a wide body SON28 Deluxe.

Andrew

RonK

Hub Dynamos in Australia

Postby RonK » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Reading through the posted link, it's a wide body Son Deluxe, not to be confused with the Son 28.

The Son Deluxe is intended for use on bikes with small diameter wheels.

It's not clear there is a real need for wider flange spacings on small wheels.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:15 pm

RonK wrote:Reading through the posted link, it's a wide body Son Deluxe, not to be confused with the Son 28.

The Son Deluxe is intended for use on bikes with small diameter wheels.

It's not clear there is a real need for wider flange spacings on small wheels.
The latest SON hub such as one I recently purchased is called the SON28 Deluxe (well by Starbikes anyway as per my invoice) and this is the wide version of it. It is not as I understand it the small wheel hub as you suggest.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 am

Jury rigged test bench ...

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:34 pm

With Starbike no longer selling Rohloff hubs to Australian , I wonder how long before we can
no longer get acess to other items like the Son dynamo hubs due to this protection racket.
What happened to free trade? :twisted:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 pm

rifraf wrote:With Starbike no longer selling Rohloff hubs to Australian
Well you can email Rohloff and voice your dissatisfaction. If we don't let them know, then we cannot expect them to change thier policy until the sales dry-up. Mavic learnt the hard way.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Bike24 is now selling SON gear I just found this morning, and they have DT swiss spokes as well. Looks like they are moving in on starbikes territory, now if only they could pick up their shipping game....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:The latest SON hub such as one I recently purchased is called the SON28 Deluxe (well by Starbikes anyway as per my invoice) and this is the wide version of it. It is not as I understand it the small wheel hub as you suggest.
Since the Son web page is not translated from the German, the best source of information is from Son's US distributor, Peter White. Here is a link to Peter White's page on Son dynamos.

The page shows that the 2012 model Son 28 shares a similar rounded shape to the Son Delux, but is engraved with Son 28. It also shows that the Son Delux has engraved indentification, and the text mentions the forthcoming Son Delux Wide body.

The Son Deluxe is designed to produce sufficient output at the lower axle speeds of small wheels, and should only be used with larger diameter wheels if an LED headlight is also used, but commonsense suggests the Son 28 is the best choice for 700c wheels (particulary if you want to charge batteries). A Son 28 can be used with any size wheel. There does not appear to be a model Son 28 Delux. It's important for intending buyers to avoid confusion between the two models.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:25 am

Exposure, the lights people are getting into the dynamo market with a new repackaged dynamo and a new light.

More details in the source article at Road.cc

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am

I don't think this has been mentioned before but another light option, this time with built in USB charging option. It is the AXA Nano.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 25, 2012 10:05 am

and here is another one ...

More "details" at Ridermount.com

Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri May 25, 2012 10:21 am

Aushiker wrote:and here is another one ...

Andrew
What an interesting concept...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri May 25, 2012 11:19 am

Aushiker wrote:and here is another one ...

Andrew
Interesting, don't think will work on my trike tho, drum brake :(
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 25, 2012 11:37 am

Another dynamo option is from SP Dynamics. It's available in Aus from Kerry at www.klite.com.au. More information is here.

Doesn't appear to have a price listed on the website, but I have dealt with Kerry on a few matters and he is usially quick to respond.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Since I am sitting here in Darwin trying to get better I thought I would investigate building up a 26"dynamo wheel for my Giant XTC 2 which gets used now and then as a touring bike. I need a second front wheel anyway for the Extrawheel Voyager so might as well make this build a dynamo.

The Giant XTC 2 has Shimano M485 hydraulic w/6″ centre-lock rotors so I just need to make sure that what I get as a dynamo hub will alllow to switch over the disc (I assume that is all I need to do).

I was thinking of getting a Shimano Deore XT DH-T785 dynamo hub Centerlock which seems the better of the Shimano options, which I will build into a Mavic XM-719 rim. Hopefully all up less than $200. Sound okay for a fairly low usage touring wheel?

Also is anything else needed to allow for a Busch & Mueller light connection?

Thanks
Andrew

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:22 pm

No, IME they come with a connector for the dynohub end. My last couple of B&M lights had the wire permanently attached, so it was just a matter of snapping the connector (which is in 2 pieces and looks a bit like Lego) onto the stripped ends.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Please point me in the right direction to get an affordable but decent, (read the sweet spot) dynohub wheelset for a road bike (Malvern Star Oppy). I got some quote for $700(ish) including front and rear lights :shock:

Thanks in advance
2012 Oppy A4

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Please point me in the right direction to get an affordable but decent, (read the sweet spot) dynohub wheelset for a road bike (Malvern Star Oppy). I got some quote for $700(ish) including front and rear lights :shock:

Thanks in advance
Check out bike24.com
( https://www.bike24.net/1.php?content=8; ... 98;mid=298)
and/or starbike.com
(http://www.starbike.com/p/SON-28-dynamo-hub-1939-en).
I bought a Son Delux front hub and had it built up into a wheel in the states.
Before you think "Too Dear" consider that only the Son dynamo hubs have a five year warranty.
In my way of thinking its false economy to pay half the price but only get one fifth the warranty.
Kapesh?
199 Eu is approx equal to 233.10 $Au.

Then its a matter of choosing spokes and rims that you want.
I got mine supplied and built by wheelbuilder.com and was extremely happy with the price
and service.
I cant offer the build price as a comparison as my wheels are 20" 406's and I needed my
spokes (cx-rays) custom shortened ($3.20 each).
From memory I supplied the hubs and they made the spokes and supplied the rims.
With postage my 36 spoke wheels were approx $700au for the pair.
So perhaps think along the lines of $233 (hub) plus $350 Au (rim, spokes and build) delivered.
Hope this helps.
PS. Once you've paid the money the pain of it is over for many a year.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:03 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Please point me in the right direction to get an affordable but decent, (read the sweet spot) dynohub wheelset for a road bike (Malvern Star Oppy). I got some quote for $700(ish) including front and rear lights :shock:
For a good bit less than that price you should be able to get a complete Schmidt SON28 wheel made up, complete with B&M IQ Cyo headlight and B&M Topline plus. Go to Starbike and get a quote. A friend of mine had a Shimano Alfine dynohub built into a wheel and shipped to him for something under $150.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:10 pm

il padrone wrote: For a good bit less than that price you should be able to get a complete Schmidt SON28 wheel made up, complete with B&M IQ Cyo headlight and B&M Topline plus. Go to Starbike and get a quote. A friend of mine had a Shimano Alfine dynohub built into a wheel and shipped to him for something under $150.
Quite right, he did ask for the sweet spot.
My example is probably the best price for the top end.
At least the sites I offered should still have the best prices for the current batch of
available hubs as well as you suggested, IP, ready to go wheels.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:16 am

Aushiker wrote:Since I am sitting here in Darwin trying to get better I thought I would investigate building up a 26"dynamo wheel for my Giant XTC 2 which gets used now and then as a touring bike. I need a second front wheel anyway for the Extrawheel Voyager so might as well make this build a dynamo.

The Giant XTC 2 has Shimano M485 hydraulic w/6″ centre-lock rotors so I just need to make sure that what I get as a dynamo hub will alllow to switch over the disc (I assume that is all I need to do).

I was thinking of getting a Deore XT DH-T785 dynamo hub Centerlock which seems the better of the Shimano options, which I will build into a Mavic XM-719 rim. Hopefully all up less than $200. Sound okay for a fairly low usage touring wheel?

Also is anything else needed to allow for a Busch & Mueller light connection?

Thanks
Andrew
no, you should not. That 2 dotted lego grey looking piece on the right is the connector. The 2 wires that come off the B&M headlight go into those 2 "holes", they dont really look like holes because the hole have been filled in with some sort of wax. The tech docs show how its done.

Looking at the exploded diagram wandering if only having the single set of bearings is a disadvantage. Also wandering if it is the reason any time I stand and ride (to get over a hill) I get disc rotor rub.

the only other "gotcha" I can think of is a center lock disc rotor is needed or a center lock/6 bolt adapter. I went the adapter and noticed that the actual hub did not come with a lockring, mine came with the adapter (not sure if this comes with the rotor or not). Surprisingly enough the lock ring uses the same tool as the cassette lock ring tool :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I just ordered a Shimano Deore XT DH-T785 dynamo hub Centerlock black 36H, Mavic XM 719 Disc 36H, DT Swiss Competition spokes, rim tape and wheel build from http://starbike.com for 178.32 Euro delivered.

Now thinking about about a build with a Supernova Infinity S dynamo hub 32H and Supernova lights for my commuter as my new winter commute starts in the dark and finishes in the dark (around two hours each way) and keeping the batteries charged up is becoming a pain. The wheel build (Mavic Open Pro 32h CD) works out at $287.45 ex http://starbike.com.

If I get the Supernova I will have a Shimano, a SON and Supernova dynamos so a chance to do a bit of comparison :)

Andrew

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm

eeksll wrote: Looking at the exploded diagram wandering if only having the single set of bearings is a disadvantage. Also wandering if it is the reason any time I stand and ride (to get over a hill) I get disc rotor rub.
I thought the same thing when I looked at the diagram for my Shimano Dynohub. After a bit of research I found out there are in fact two sets of bearings like a normal hub. Its just that Shimano don't consider them user serviceable hence no inclusion on the exploded diagram. They are serviceable but a fairly fiddly and delicate job. There is a soldered on wire that runs in a groove along the axle that exits at the plastic connector. Apparently it is easy to break the soldered connection when opening the drive side bearings up and render the whole unit kapput.