Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

HarryCallahan

Re: Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK

Postby HarryCallahan » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 pm

bracko wrote: the major question is why worry about the paint job, just concentrate on destroying your riding buddies :P
Hey look I currently ride a 10 year old Learsport so it's not like I'm overly brand conscious. They've even got the URL on it, I don't want a URL on my bike! It works as a company name but not as bike decoration. Might get one anyway.

(BTW I guess this company is at the old Learsport shop, they were in Bayswater too and the site www.learsport.com.au re-directs to Cycling Express. I think they were Taiwanese, are probably still there behind the scenes somewhere)

bracko

Postby bracko » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:51 pm

they're the same guys that started the azzurri brand... read the "about us" on the website. (I also believe that Learsport are Azzurri, so yes, you're right... but I'm not 100%)

NB... really liking this bike now I've got it fitted out with a computer, cages and other bling, it's a shame i have to get on my old bike to ride to work every day.

flyby

Postby flyby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:47 am

first order with CE today, nice ordering process and free postage.

3 items
* 1 the same price as wiggle
* 1 $2 more expensive
* 1 $9 cheaper

can't complain!

my initial feedback would be this: often I go to place an order for a single item - in this case a basic 3T stem. I then bulk the order out with regular 'churn-through' items such as clif bars/gels, chamois creme, inner tubes etc and I might chuck in something I know I'll inevitably need even though it's an infrequent use item like bar tape or tyres. I'll also dip into the clothing for gloves/warmers/socks - to get to the free postage.

IMHO CE are excellent in components but need to improve those other areas to provide enough of the stuff we really don't need but buy on impulse to bulk out the order.

Really looking forward to seeing how quickly my order comes from within Australia for the first time and glad to be supporting an Australian business who clearly understand how the real world operates and have adapted to it. Keep up the good work!

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 am

I submitted my first order from Cycling Express on the 25th of October, and I ordered some stuff from wiggle at the same time. The wiggle stuff arrived on the 1st of November, I'm still waiting for the Cycling express stuff to get here. The website was easy to use and the prices were good which is all great, but if it's going to take longer to get here than from the uk then what's the point? I figured it would be much quicker if it was coming from within Australia.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

flyby

Postby flyby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:04 am

nescius wrote:I submitted my first order from Cycling Express on the 25th of October, and I ordered some stuff from wiggle at the same time. The wiggle stuff arrived on the 1st of November, I'm still waiting for the Cycling express stuff to get here. The website was easy to use and the prices were good which is all great, but if it's going to take longer to get here than from the uk then what's the point? I figured it would be much quicker if it was coming from within Australia.
Especially with a name like Cycling Express haha. I'll let you know when mine arrives, I'd be expecting a Monday order to arrive by Friday. Won't be too fussed if it doesn't, but I think it's a fair expectation. Very common overseas for next day delivery. As I said above very happy with the process so far.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

nescius wrote:I submitted my first order from Cycling Express on the 25th of October, and I ordered some stuff from wiggle at the same time. The wiggle stuff arrived on the 1st of November, I'm still waiting for the Cycling express stuff to get here. The website was easy to use and the prices were good which is all great, but if it's going to take longer to get here than from the uk then what's the point? I figured it would be much quicker if it was coming from within Australia.
I placed an order on the 24th that I'm still waiting for. I was thinking of giving them a call today. With all the hum about their bikes and the seemingly long queue up for delivery, I just assumed they'd spread themselves a bit thin. It's my second order, the first was to my door in 4 days.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:37 am

brawlo wrote:
I placed an order on the 24th that I'm still waiting for. I was thinking of giving them a call today. With all the hum about their bikes and the seemingly long queue up for delivery, I just assumed they'd spread themselves a bit thin. It's my second order, the first was to my door in 4 days.
Have you been billed and notified of the order? The 24th was 2 weeks ago! I might cancel my pending order if thats the sort of wait I'll be expecting. Back to the UK stores.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:47 am

No personal experience but have heard similar from friends.
Ribble, Wiggle, PBK etc will continue to get my $.

l45er

Postby l45er » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 am

Another first time Cycling Express purchaser here. Order placed last Wednesday, yet to be shipped. Item was listed as in stock.

From my contact with them apparently they have been 'a bit under staffed lately' as there is a 'virus going around the office'.

Disappointed - could have ordered from O/S and it would have been here by now.

flyby

Postby flyby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:26 pm

l45er wrote:Another first time Cycling Express purchaser here. Order placed last Wednesday, yet to be shipped. Item was listed as in stock.

From my contact with them apparently they have been 'a bit under staffed lately' as there is a 'virus going around the office'.

Disappointed - could have ordered from O/S and it would have been here by now.
The 'virus' going around the office was probably the Melbourne Cup.

Do they send you a despatch confirmation email? Tracking number? Just wondering how this works. Will post when I hear anything for my order placed yesterday.

frodo

Postby frodo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Must agree I ordered on 31/10/11, just got email stating shipped today ?? 8 days later .
Yes its great they price match uk pricing etc.
But will have to improve shipping process - to keep business. If i had ordered same stuff from wiggle I would have had it by now.
Trek Domane 4.5
Giant TCR 1

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 pm

My first order with Cycling Express was good.
Second order on Tuesday arrived on Friday so timing was perfect however my SPD SL pedals somehow arrived as Deore SPD pedals instead.
I phoned through however was informed that internet orders are looked after Mon - Fri.

Was planning for a road ride this weekend though have been foiled again - oh well, will get on the MTB instead.
Cycling is in my BNA

miml

Postby miml » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Unpleasant experience with their customer service. Always low in Stock. Unless your buying a Bike.

Not Happy Jan.

I will give them one last shot , then im off to other shops.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:56 pm

I've had one minor hiccup with an order from them , but on contacting them the were friendly and sorted it straight away.
Have probably made 5 orders with them , including a Bike , and have had no more problems than the favoured Pommy outlets.

Also have rung them once to inquire about sizing of apparel , more than helpful.

That is the only thing that I think they need to improve on the CE website , some sizing charts to go with the clothing they sell.

snowmaan

Postby snowmaan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Had a good experience with them today on the phone, very helpful and patient
I will always buy from a company like this if I can, over an overseas company and can cope with a little time or extra cost if needed
CellSS200 hybrid, had a Trek Madone 4.5 but had an altercation with a courier van. Looking for a nice ride soon

nescius

Postby nescius » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I sent an email last thursday asking what was going on, and got a call on Friday explaining that one item was out of stock and they were waiting for it to arrive. I finally got an email today saying that my order had been despatched. Hopefully it'll arrive in the next day or two, unfortunately it's a bit late because the bulk of the order consisted of things that were going to be used for the Shepparton half ironman yesterday.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 am

Small update. In my second order I was sent the wrong item. I called them though after 'internet' hours and it was suggested I call back on Monday. Usually I would call though wanted to see what email support was like so mailed on Saturday, with a follow-up late Tuesday though with no response.

So I called up today (Thursday) - and it seems that it can be immediately resolved with the correct item sent out today (will it arrive in time for the weekend?). Some shops are pretty good with email, and I encourage good and quick email support however as a customer, it pays to call on the phone.

As a tip, for international purchases, for overseas calls you can use skype - call costs are quite low and you can load up eg. $10 credit. It saves the hassle of a calling card.
Cycling is in my BNA

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Update: order placed 24/10 - received 17/11.

Called last week to see what was going on. Order No. ....um I'll just have to check the warehouse, I'll call you back...... Bars out of stock, supplier shows as having them in now so should be dispatched soon. We should have called you......Well YES that would have been nice.......

flyby

Postby flyby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Update:

Ordered 7/11/11, waited a week (nothing) emailed twice, no replies, called yesterday, sorted (problem with supplier) and arrived today (17/11/11).

Fairly certain that if I hadn't called it wouldn't have come today, and firmly believe I shouldn't have to call to make delivery happen within 10 days from within Australia. All items were listed as 'in stock'. Good prices and delivery accurate to my order.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 pm

Seems that we can say that telephone support is good and otherwise everything else is in place, but when there are issues, then the email support needs to be quicker and probably internal tracking to highlight issues / conflicts in order fulfillment. Learning from what the international big players are doing well and doing poorly, the customer service part of the transaction is a pretty important part.
Cycling is in my BNA

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 am

i think the general point thus far in the thread is to actually pick up the phone and check if parts aren't shipped within the time that the website says they are.

the last order i had 12g co2 bulbs holding up my delivery, a 2min phone call and they were changed to 16g with the order shipping that day... it's not hard.

while they are cheap they aren't going to (yet, hopefully) hold the stock that wiggle et.al. hold....

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am

bracko wrote:i think the general point thus far in the thread is to actually pick up the phone and check if parts aren't shipped within the time that the website says they are.

the last order i had 12g co2 bulbs holding up my delivery, a 2min phone call and they were changed to 16g with the order shipping that day... it's not hard.

while they are cheap they aren't going to (yet, hopefully) hold the stock that wiggle et.al. hold....
If you need to follow up with phone calls if/when your order doesnt arrive - then you are better off using wiggle/pbk/c r c imo.

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:53 am

Yup bitten here too ... ordered a saddle ... 2 listed in store ... never arrived
called spoke with them and was told they havent actually got any and would have to wait ... hang on you already took my money ..
So now refunded , bitten and won't be going back
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

flyby

Postby flyby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 pm

bostonceltics wrote:It is very rare we don't reply to an email for even 24 hours let alone 8 days (we try to reply to emails within an hour). I can take a screen shot of our email accounts if anyone has any doubts about this.
Where has that bostonceltics guy gone anyway? Keep up the momentum mate, you're onto a very good thing but lately you are destroying all your goodwill. Step it up now into Christmas and you might still become the Australian wiggle.

bracko

Postby bracko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
If you need to follow up with phone calls if/when your order doesnt arrive - then you are better off using wiggle/pbk/c r c imo.

I think you have to appreciate that any store starting up isn't going to hold the inventory that global distributors do. They have done one thing that LBS's can't do and that's actually match the price of said global distributors that have significant buying power over almost every other store globally and certainly located in Australia.

they will eventually get batter, but I'm a bit surprised that a fairly niche market like cycling is so hostile to someone in Australia setting up a shop like this. CE is a good thing, i'd much rather buy from an Australian store.