Cycling Express - New online shop to compete with UK....

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 am

bracko wrote: they will eventually get batter, but I'm a bit surprised that a fairly niche market like cycling is so hostile to someone in Australia setting up a shop like this. CE is a good thing, i'd much rather buy from an Australian store.

The problem is, the market is already very well serviced by many other established players.

CE started well (I'll still use them again) but seem to suffering some issues.

Hope they sort them.

Yes, we are a VERY picky bunch :P
MichaelB

by BNA » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm

BNA

Postby CommuRider » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Goodwill to CE (esp when the CE regular was on here) will only last so long before people switch to Wiggle etc. No excuses not to provide the same level of service as Wiggle. And as an internet site, queries should be handled more efficiently over email than phone. Makes sense....except when it is an Aussie retailer it seems.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:30 am

I've received courtesy calls about my orders in the past ... was I happy with shorter length Presta valves on some tubes, and amusingly, did I realize that gels were $3 each, not for a box of ten as the website might have suggested!

There are obviously consistency issues in a new venture. I'll keep using them, other people might be less forgiving. I think that being able to ring them locally if there's a problem - heck, even drop into Bayswater or wherever they are, if it comes to that - must count for something.
clackers

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:39 am

CommuRider wrote:Goodwill to CE (esp when the CE regular was on here) will only last so long before people switch to Wiggle etc. No excuses not to provide the same level of service as Wiggle. And as an internet site, queries should be handled more efficiently over email than phone. Makes sense....except when it is an Aussie retailer it seems.

This!!

And it is bad business for CE to let customers believe an item is stock when ordering, when in fact its not and needs to be ordered from the supplier, and could take several weeks for the customer to receive it. Sort of defeats the purpose of being as cheap as wiggle etc if it takes 3 times as long to receive the item :roll:
Drunkmonkey

Postby bostonceltics » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:44 am

HI guys, we've been trying hard to fix the issue of the in-stock out of stock thing and think we should have it completely sorted soon. The problems were mostly caused by items in the retail store selling at a similar time/day to items in the online store.

On the topic of emails being answered or not answered, I personally have been monitoring the [email protected] email address almost 24 hours a day where 90% of all email are sent and don't think I've missed a single email yet. We also answer the phone between 9am and 6pm at all times and don't have any kind of answering service so you will always get onto someone immediately without ever having to wait (FYI, wiggle doesn't even have a phone number). If you have any queries about orders please send them to [email protected] or call us on (03) 9738 1633.

I had some feedback from Chris (the forum owner) about what we can do to improve the service which we will take on board. He was mostly representing you as members which was good of him. He also mentioned that we did not reply to an email he sent. I had a look for the email and found that the spam blocker had put it in the spam folder because it was sent from the email address info@... In terms of emails not being answered I have answered every email at all hours of the day sent to [email protected] , not always within 5 minutes as that just isn't possible but as quickly as I can. We have also done the same for the [email protected] email address.

The total emails we have replied to are now are in the tens of thousands. We deal with wiggle on a regular basis (probably a lot more than most) and have experienced many of the same issues being reported dealing with them. I can provide at least 15 emails of orders not being fulfilled/dispatched when they say they are in stock, same goes for CRC, it happens everywhere unfortunately. That said we are trying extremely hard (many of us are working 80 hours weeks) to get everything ironed out and working better and I think we are constantly improving.

On Monday December 21 we received 310 orders, we got 200 orders out that actual day - the service is definitely improving and will continue to improve. Most nights we are here until 10pm at night picking and packing orders.

Cheers - Sam.
bostonceltics

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:06 am

Hi Sam,

Cheers for the response and update. I hope that the success keeps going, and I'll certainly keep looking, as for the two orders that I have put in (online store and for a pushie), the service has been good and price has been great (even price matching where a request wasn't even made !!).

Slow post is a fact with Australia, and stock issues are not CE sopecific.

I have noted for Wiggle et al, if an item comes as a parcel, it is much quicker than if by mail.

Keep up the good work guys, you are mostly succeeding :mrgreen:

Might even drop by when in Melbourne just before Xmas to see what pressies I can buy myself ... :D
MichaelB

Postby Crawf » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:09 am

Any chance you guys will stock Hutchinson Tubeless road tyres, a bit of a pain to get most of the bits needed from you, but then you don't sell any tyres and have to go elsewhere.
Crawf

Postby flyby » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:17 am

bostonceltics wrote:HI guys, we've been trying hard to fix the issue of the in-stock out of stock thing and think we should have it completely sorted soon. The problems were mostly caused by items in the retail store selling at a similar time/day to items in the online store.

Good stuff. Why do you deal with Wiggle a lot?
flyby

Postby CommuRider » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:38 pm

bostonceltics wrote:The total emails we have replied to are now are in the tens of thousands. We deal with wiggle on a regular basis (probably a lot more than most) and have experienced many of the same issues being reported dealing with them. I can provide at least 15 emails of orders not being fulfilled/dispatched when they say they are in stock, same goes for CRC, it happens everywhere unfortunately. That said we are trying extremely hard (many of us are working 80 hours weeks) to get everything ironed out and working better and I think we are constantly improving.Cheers - Sam.

Thanks Sam for the updates. You haven't been here for awhile and in your absence, problems have been reported. Your presence here is pretty important in helping to continue the goodwill towards CE. Especially if you want to continue attracting customers AWAY from Wiggle et al :)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:40 pm

Crawf wrote:Any chance you guys will stock Hutchinson Tubeless road tyres, a bit of a pain to get most of the bits needed from you, but then you don't sell any tyres and have to go elsewhere.

Have already asked that :D
MichaelB

Postby winstonw » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Regarding Australia Post parcel delivery, I was talking with the employee of the delivery contractor a few weeks ago.
From memory she told me she grosses around $1.20 per parcel delivered to the address, or back to delivery centre for holding.
It is tough to make a minimum hourly wage in this job, and often new or student migrants are enticed into the work.

Employees of contractors these days are often not that skilled in organizing delivery routes, nor do they have a van large enough to reduce multiple pickups from the delivery centre.

It's a sorry situation, magnified by top AP executives pulling in ever larger salaries and bonuses for introducing cost cutting measures like this.

After the employee told me this, I could understand better why sometimes the AP delivery guy doesn't ring my doorbell, but just knocks quickly, and is often gone before I walk to the front door.
winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:37 pm

bostonceltics wrote:The total emails we have replied to are now are in the tens of thousands.

Sam, if you are answering that many emails, then you obviously have serious cash flow, and can scale your business model and staff numbers appropriately to ensure quality of service and website maintenance regarding whether items are in stock or not.

Where are the guys working on the business, rather than in the business?
winstonw

Postby bostonceltics » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:55 pm

flyby wrote:first order with CE today, nice ordering process and free postage.

3 items
* 1 the same price as wiggle
* 1 $2 more expensive
* 1 $9 cheaper

can't complain!

my initial feedback would be this: often I go to place an order for a single item - in this case a basic 3T stem. I then bulk the order out with regular 'churn-through' items such as clif bars/gels, chamois creme, inner tubes etc and I might chuck in something I know I'll inevitably need even though it's an infrequent use item like bar tape or tyres. I'll also dip into the clothing for gloves/warmers/socks - to get to the free postage.

IMHO CE are excellent in components but need to improve those other areas to provide enough of the stuff we really don't need but buy on impulse to bulk out the order.

Really looking forward to seeing how quickly my order comes from within Australia for the first time and glad to be supporting an Australian business who clearly understand how the real world operates and have adapted to it. Keep up the good work!

This is a great email, I really agree with you here - we're trying hard to pick up new suppliers and more products like those you suggest (It's a pity about the political nature of the Australian bike industry...).

Anyway, we've got quite a few things in the pipeline that should be on the site soon.

Cheers on the feedback.
bostonceltics

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:39 pm

winstonw wrote:
bostonceltics wrote:The total emails we have replied to are now are in the tens of thousands.

Sam, if you are answering that many emails, then you obviously have serious cash flow, and can scale your business model and staff numbers appropriately to ensure quality of service and website maintenance regarding whether items are in stock or not.

Where are the guys working on the business, rather than in the business?

If they can't keep up with 200 orders, it looks like there's not enough people in the business either..
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby bostonceltics » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:45 pm

You have misread my comments, there was no mention of not being able to keep up with orders, what I said was that 200 orders that were placed that day were shipped out that day. On CRC and Wiggle you have to pay extra to get that kind of service. :D Could be worth re-reading what I wrote beforehand. Cheers.

Wayfarer wrote:If they can't keep up with 200 orders, it looks like there's not enough people in the business either..
bostonceltics

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the follow-up Sam.
I did have a good chat and it's a good thing to have an open dialogue.

In forums (all forums) there tends to be a lot of discussion on issues and problems which is not really representation - so probably a reminder that the bit Great Shopping Experiences shouldn't be forgotten as a way of posting the good and smooth running transactions with any retailer - for the benefit of others.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK....

Postby Redbull » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Problem is, it's not the 200 shipped that hurt, it's the ones not shipped for weeks without notification that showtime me.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Cycling Express - New AUS online shop to compete with UK....

Postby snowmaan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Good one CE
I will always buy from them over wiggle or another OS company to keep it local and don't mind a bit of a delay of I have to while they get the business scaled up

Why you would buy from Wiggle now over them I have no idea
Got 1x Trek Madone 4.5 2010, and a casual Scot Hybrid 2008 or so, can't remember model (was about $800 new on special)
Commute to work 16km each way 3 days a week
Still struggle with leg / kneee strength
Want to rebuild an old bike to it's former glory
snowmaan

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am

Another successful order from CyclingExpress arrived at my office this morning. Placed the order Monday 21st, order dispatched Wednesday 23rd and here in Toowoomba on Monday 28th. I am quite happy about that. :)
moreegolfer

Postby MarkG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 am

Can anyone tell me what "dispatched within 5-7 days" means?
I assume that means it's not in stock, and once I order it, they (the shop) order it from the distributor?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby bracko » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:49 pm

MarkG wrote:Can anyone tell me what "dispatched within 5-7 days" means?
I assume that means it's not in stock, and once I order it, they (the shop) order it from the distributor?

pick up the phone and ask?
bracko

Postby MarkG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 pm

I thought I would enquire on here first, with any one else who had this question, smart guy..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby brawlo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I emailed that one some time ago. Apperently it's not in stock and that's how long it SHOULD take them to get it in stock from their supplier.
brawlo

Postby sir_camel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Ordered the 2XU Bib special last Tuesday and they arrived today. Only problem was I wasn't here. Pretty happy with that.
sir_camel

Postby Crawf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:16 pm

Well I've given up on CE, I've had 3 orders and on each there has been an issue.
On all occasions without exaggeration, I could have gotten the parts from the UK waaaay sooner.
My most recent order placed on 11/11 is still not fulfilled. Called twice already about the incorrect part and just can't be ass'd calling a 3rd time to get the runaround again, no response on email about it either, and its not exactly a hard request.
3 times bitten. Back to the UK.
Also, no use in having a price comparison page if you don't bother replying to that either.
Crawf

PreviousNext

Return to Buying a bike / parts