Commuter upgrade time - help please!

miss min

Postby miss min » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for posting pics. I am a little bemused as I test rode an 07 model and ordered my 08 model from interstate. I was quite surprised to find it's more a royal blue than the colour your bike is. Mine is darker and I actually like the colour of yours (which is the same as what's on the website and in the catalogues much better). I am confused as to why my bike is a different colour from yours and what's on the web and catalogue. Any ideas?
reverb wrote:
Blybo wrote:OMGosh... somebody took my advise :lol:

Well done. We need pics and a ride report.
Well, apologies for the tardiness, but I'll finally make good on that request.

Pictures are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reverb/set ... 747159708/

As for a ride report, well suffice to say I'm very happy with it. Before I purchased I got the 12-25 switched out for a 11-26, and the 36-46 changed for 34-50. This much wider spread of ratios suits my unlearned non-skillful riding style much better. The granny sprockets on both get a workout on my biggest climbs, and once or twice down hill I've actually hit top gear, but typically I'll only get maybe to the 15 on the rear in usual riding.

So, the bike is far more capable than me, but it's nice to have something to work up to.

I missed the suspension for all of about the first week, but since them I'm used to it - I just take gutters far more slowly, avoiding them when possible. I put quite a bit of weight on one side of the rear in a pannier, and that causes the rear to jump around over bumps which is a bit disconcerting - might have to investigate getting a second bag just to distribute the weight a little.
I'm now totally addicted to the drop bars, although I love the secondary brake levers especially in city traffic. When I get back on the old MTB, which is now relegated to dog walking (running actually) duty, my wrists get sore pretty quickly and feel waaay to far apart.

So it just shows that you get used to new things pretty quickly.

Next will be a set of road wheels for non-commuting duty, and also enough parts to fix my old proper MTB (see first post) up to working spec again.

Thanks all for your help, let me know if you want to find out more about anything.

reverb

Postby reverb » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:39 pm

miss min wrote:Thanks for posting pics. I am a little bemused as I test rode an 07 model and ordered my 08 model from interstate. I was quite surprised to find it's more a royal blue than the colour your bike is. Mine is darker and I actually like the colour of yours (which is the same as what's on the website and in the catalogues much better). I am confused as to why my bike is a different colour from yours and what's on the web and catalogue. Any ideas?
Sorry, I've got nothing. I've only ever seen the blue the same as mine. It's a bit worrying that yours is different - are you sure of the reputation of the dealer? The 08 frame is Kona in-house, very different to the 07 and earlier from my reading. Not a naughty respray or something when nobody was looking?

I've seen and ridden the bright green one (07 ?) as well, and actually liked the look of it.

miss min

Postby miss min » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:03 pm

Funnily enough I just looked at some pics I took of my bike earlier in the day and in the photos it does look the same colour as yours and as the website. Can you describe the colour of your bike to me. Is it a royal blue colour, or lighter? Do you think it looks the same as in your pics, or darker in real life. *she says at the risk of sounding obsessed*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7738164@N0 ... otostream/

reverb

Postby reverb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:42 am

miss min wrote:Funnily enough I just looked at some pics I took of my bike earlier in the day and in the photos it does look the same colour as yours and as the website. Can you describe the colour of your bike to me. Is it a royal blue colour, or lighter? Do you think it looks the same as in your pics, or darker in real life. *she says at the risk of sounding obsessed*

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7738164(AT ... otostream/
OK, I've checked those pictures and I'd say we're colour safe :)

Perhaps it just photographs different to how you perceive it in real-life? Also my photos were post-processed slightly which may have changed how they look.

Since I'm merely male I won't comment on the royalness of the blue (but can check with The Boss if you like!), however it's pretty close to the blue used on this forum for the header bars now that I think about it.

Anyway, glad to have another JTS rider here, how are you liking yours?

bc

Postby bc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Congrats on the bike, I'm now officially jealous! :D My Dr Dew has been very good for me, but just occasionally I'd like to stretch out a bit more and get out of the wind. Have been thinking about a JTS as a possible second bike/replacement.

Haven't seen the Reelights before - are they as good as they sound on the web site?

reverb

Postby reverb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:24 pm

bc wrote:Congrats on the bike, I'm now officially jealous! :D My Dr Dew has been very good for me, but just occasionally I'd like to stretch out a bit more and get out of the wind. Have been thinking about a JTS as a possible second bike/replacement.

Haven't seen the Reelights before - are they as good as they sound on the web site?
Yeah, bloody brilliant. The magnets are good and strong, although as I noted the supplied attachment brackets don't fit on my flat spokes.
As for the lighting I certainly feel safer having it flash all the time and get plenty of people noticing, which as far as I'm concerned is what it's all about.

There is a newer version which has a capacitor inside so that it flashes for a few minutes after you stop, but mine are the older ones without this.

You might be hard pressed to find a JTS now, several retailers I spoke to said Kona were pretty much sold out of their Australian allocation and would have to wait until the next year's models, the shop I got mine from (CBD) had three and I got the second-last.

miss min

Postby miss min » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Reverb if you can check with the boss I would appreciate it ;) Just tell me what Pantone colour you think it is. :P I wonder why Kona doesn't try and ensure their bike catalogues and website are more colour true.

If peoples are looking for a JTS I got mine from Maladjusted for just over $1300, so it's worth a try there. Their Kona bikes are 20% off at the mo.