how do you hide your purchases from your partner?

Andrew09

Re: how do you hide your purchases from your partner?

Postby Andrew09 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

How do you hide your purchases from your partner? That's easy. One time I bought my wife a surprise annniversary/birthday present and needed a good hiding spot. Somewhere she'll never look. I hid it where we keep the vacuum cleaner. She never found it! ha ha ha........

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 pm

I dont need to. She ENCOURAGES me to purchase bike stuff (hence Parlee Z3 coming soon) as she has caught the bug as well.
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:13 pm

If one needs to hide bike purchases from their partner they are with the wrong partner lol!

That goes for viag too!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Thread resurrection to say I've talked a big game earlier in the thread but currently am hiding a couple substantial purchases in the garage very effectively :oops: Just hoping a few drum cymbals get sold before the credit card comes in :shock:

hudnut

Postby hudnut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:31 pm

LOL.

I think I *may* have sold a bike, so I've mentally already reassigned that to a powertap G3.
As long as she doesn't notice the bike gone I should be right. It is usually camoflaged among the others so I think I'm sweet.

On the other hand, a hotrod mate of mine is having an uncomfortable trip home after visiting here tonight.
His fiance wanted to know why I have a Cadillac V8 engine in MY shed, when I don't own a suitable car for it but HE does, and surely HE wouldn't buy one and hide it in MY shed when HE is telling HER they can't afford to get married yet.

Oops.

:)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Major opps hudnut! :lol:

Me - messy bike room, everything delivered to work...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:38 pm

I've changed work locations and don't have the new work location set up in paypal. Going to have to get stuff sent there though. The last unauthorised purchase of cycling gear just had to arrive via courier in the middle of an argument :cry:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DoubleSpeeded

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:46 pm

jules21 wrote:yesterday i came home with a new helmet, a lidar 910 (which i'm pretty happy with so far). cunningly, i purchased it in the same colour as my old helmet (a 9 yr. old Met - i think i've earned an upgrade, never mind that i also own a Bell Sweep, which is my roadie helmet).

she had a second look as she let me in the front door, but she didn't say anything (she usually has a gripe if she spots me in new gear). i was laughing on the inside - she didn't pick it.

as we're getting married soon, has anyone got any further tips/tricks i can take on board? :)
Missus and i have separate accounts...

i have spent over 10k so far on bicycles (not to mention other things as hobbies)...and more to come.. its my $$$...

start early and draw the line... otherwise later on its gonna be hard after marriage. It better this way... and this way, i wont go bonkers at the times she buys $600 hand bags from Prada or Gucci...and $600 Christian Dior Sunnies...

vice versa, she wont have the rights to whinge when i have spent 4k worth of Zipp wheels or 3k worth of Trust Turbocharger kit for the car.

but thats your choice and your wifes views.. if she can accept that

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:I've changed work locations and don't have the new work location set up in paypal. Going to have to get stuff sent there though. The last unauthorised purchase of cycling gear just had to arrive via courier in the middle of an argument :cry:
BWAHAHAHHAHA

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:08 pm

I let my partner see the rrp on the tarmac when I bought it. My excuse was the bb30 crank and Quarq I bought woulsnt fit the R3. She didn't care.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 4

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 pm

This thread is always good for a laugh .... you guys are hilarious ! :lol:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:21 pm

My wife's eyes bulged when I said that the four figures I should get from cymbal sales was already allocated to wheels... but I explained the money is all covered... didn't mention that I already had the wheels and the quarq went unmentioned. That's easy to hide :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:42 am

Been having more and more problems getting stuff delivered at home (signature required etc) so they are now sent to Mrs JasonC's work :shock:
too many dramas getting stuff delivered to my work - I struggle with work stuff let alone personal stuff
hiding: zero chance

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 am

Bought a set of Zeros to replace my wheels.
Bought a white Specialized helmet to replace my black Met.
Bought a set of AyUps to replace my chinese branded light.
Bought another set of AyUps.
Bought a Supernova Airstream to replace the AyUps.
Bought an Exposure Joystick to replace my Light & Motion Vis 360.

All the above over a period of one and a bit years. Not even a squeak. Though the best one yet...

Bought a ThrustMaster Warthog to replace my Saitek X-52 and she said, "it looks different".

I said, "No?"

She said, "oh ok"

:mrgreen:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 am

CX bike discovered. :oops:

Conversation last weekend.

Me: I'm off racing the State Championships.
SO: Road?
Me: No
SO:Track?
Me: No.
SO:MTB?
Me: No....... CX........
SO: On which bike???
Me: The CX bike.........
Silence
SO: Which bike is that???

Had been a N=N process as I pulled apart my winter bike which I had retired and the CX bike was bought very cheaply second hand so wasn't taken too badly... And I am pretty sure she is knows more about the coming and going of bikes and bits than she lets on. Plus given she knows how much I like riding and racing, a little discretionary spending is okay.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 pm

As with most, I get the majority of my stuff sent to work, and smuggle it home in my pannier.

But it's also important to get some stuff delivered home.

She doesn't know exactly what's in all the boxes and parcels that arrive... just that there is a non-zero amount of stuff coming in. So when she notices some new things (or more likely, hears me mention new things when talking to other bike nerd mates), she puts two and two together and figures she knows where that thing came from.

She jokes sometimes that she's on good conversation terms with our parcel postie, because I'm always getting bike stuff delivered. Of course, she doesn't know that she sees less than half of it :lol:

I'm still claiming a win, though, for my custom Ti frame. She knew nothing of it until my daughter pulled an unusual shaped parcel from behind the tree last Christmas and said "It's another one for you, Dad, from... Santa!". I took a punt that we wouldn't be having any conversations about Santa's existence and/or titanium fabrication skills in front of the 5 year old on Christmas morning ;-)

tim

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 pm

Managed to get the divorce proof coating onto the wheels AND the powermeter. She pushed on my assertion that the wheels would be a grand, because "that can mean 1500". I said I hoped they would be a bit cheaper than that, but mentioned the power meter and said quickly that it was all revenue neutral. :lol:

Thankfully, don't need any cassettes or other extras because I've managed to get the Tiagra 12-30 onto the beater which now does baby trailer duty as well. 34/30 is enough for pulling 45kgs extra up 5-8% it seems LOL 11-23 onto the aero wheels, 11-28 on the old wheel, and I put the bonty R3s onto the new wheels. Zero outlay equals zero angst!

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 pm

I love being single :D

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Just apply the same stratgy She uses with dresses & handbags

.........."Oh! That old thing? bought it in the sales, ages ago!"
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:43 pm

You don't try and hide it - you buy it and tell her after you have bought it....

I have found over many years that it is far easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.... or .... when she does see it and asks where did that come from you say 'this old thing I have had it for ages...." :shock: :D
OI onya bike!!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 pm

My wife has better eyes than I do (for seeing, rather than just being pretty) and she knows that alloy rims aren't the same as carbon rims LOL

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am

Had a good one last night. Opening my latest order (which was over $300 worth), I pull out a cassette and Mrs JasonC yells "$300 FOR THAT?????"
I explained there was more in the box than that.

situation averted

skull

Postby skull » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 am

Haha.

I had to smooth over some shoes that should hopefully arrive next week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:44 am

jasonc wrote:I explained there was more in the box than that.

situation averted
You asked the seller to use a big box so there was plenty of air as well? Clever... :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:57 am

jasonc wrote:Had a good one last night. Opening my latest order (which was over $300 worth), I pull out a cassette and Mrs JasonC yells "$300 FOR THAT?????"
I explained there was more in the box than that.

situation averted

bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaha love it - was there something else in the box? ;)
OI onya bike!!!