Setting up a workshop

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:23 am

You'd think I was blonde! I have been sitting here thinking "what is this cable tensioning tool?" "I dont have one." Now I have seen a pic, I know I have one. I call it a third hand tool.

And Europa, no I cannot do them in my sleep. You would be faster than me! I might have heaps of bikes but I am still learning as I go. You never stop learning with such a broad range of bikes/styles and components.

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am

Karen, what are doing there on your computer at 7:20am? Shouldn't you be at the RedKite Man ride, the one you alerted everyone to? :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:46 am

Sogood you are a dobber! I couldnt make it this morning unfortunately.

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:48 am

Well, I showed up, Bill from our club also did... And then the star of the show didn't! :roll:

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 am

Merrick didnt show? What happened?

Karen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:16 am

cludence wrote:Merrick didnt show? What happened?
No, "star" as referring to you! :P

cludence

Postby cludence » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:20 am

I'm not a star. Just a mad bike nut.

I would have been there if not for a gas problem here. Currently sitting here waiting whilst the plumber fixes it. He is also a bike nut so has been eyeing off my bikes.

Sorry you went and I wasnt there. I will make it up to you as I am due to head over to Tempe in the next few weeks to say hi and watch you guys train.

Karen.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 am

Aushiker wrote:
europa wrote:The cable tensioning tool not only makes setting up cables a doddle but is great for tightening zip ties.
Hi Richard

Is this the sort of thing you are referring to:

This one is pricey, around $45 ex c r c but I guess there are reasonable cheaper brands around the place.

Regards
Andrew
That's the beast. Mine's an unbranded variant that I got from a lbs for around $20. One of those "should I, shouldn't I ... oh why didn't I get one years ago" purchases :D

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 am

europa wrote:That's the beast. Mine's an unbranded variant that I got from a lbs for around $20. One of those "should I, shouldn't I ... oh why didn't I get one years ago" purchases :D
When do you need this 3rd-hand tool? I've now built three road bikes and have not found a need for a tool like this. Squeeze the brakes/FD/RD with one hand while the other tightens the securing bolt was all that's required. Guess the only situation where this may come in handy is if there's no tension adjusters along the cable. Or are they more critical with some of the MTB setups?

So I have not bought it nor have it on my purchase radar.
Last edited by sogood on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 am

I thought it was a 4th hand tool :shock:

The 3rd hand is used to hold the brake blocks against the rim, a $5, 150mm one handed bar clamp from Bunnies does the trick. :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 am

Mine get used for zip ties a loooot, but I'm a chronic over tightener of the things - this tool needs a real gentle hand because of the power it offers.

When adjusting brakes, sure, you can guess the brake setting and then use up all your barrel adjustment getting it right. I use the tool to get the cable close to right with the adjusters wound right in, then fine tune them with the adjusters so that as the cable stretches and the brake blocks wear, all you have to do is wind the adjuster out. Minor point perhaps but I have never believed in adjusters for gross adjustments.

When fitting a cable for the first time, especially with new outers, this tool makes it very easy to pull all the slack out of the cable and to seat the cables properly BEFORE clamping the cable. The alternative is to do your best, clamp the cable, squeeze the brakes a few times, then (maybe) unclamp the cable and pull it tighter. This tool reduces the number of times you have to clamp the cable, usually to just once.

It just makes cable fittings a lot easier and more straight forward. Sure, you don't NEED one, but there are a lot of things in life you don't need but which help to make the job a bit more enjoyable.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 am

europa wrote:It just makes cable fittings a lot easier and more straight forward. Sure, you don't NEED one, but there are a lot of things in life you don't need but which help to make the job a bit more enjoyable.
Hence not a critical tool for someone starting out.

For the brakes, I find that if I back out of the adjuster and hold the pads tight against the rim and tighten, the little bit of slack would just open the calipers a little and close to perfect. A few turns of the adjuster was the most I had to do. At one stage I was thinking about it but then I figured out the trick.

The only tricky one in my experience is the FD when done without a 3rd hand. But a little finess can similarly get the job done.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 am

europa wrote:It just makes cable fittings a lot easier and more straight forward. Sure, you don't NEED one, but there are a lot of things in life you don't need but which help to make the job a bit more enjoyable.
I also find that they make things easier. With a partially functioning right hand, I need the extra help. Also some MTBs and my tourer require a special set up.

I took the cable barrel adjusters out. I thought it would make the bike lighter :shock: It never had them in the first place. :D

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 pm

sogood wrote:
Hence not a critical tool for someone starting out.

For the brakes, I find that if I back out of the adjuster and hold the pads tight against the rim and tighten, the little bit of slack would just open the calipers a little and close to perfect. A few turns of the adjuster was the most I had to do. At one stage I was thinking about it but then I figured out the trick.

The only tricky one in my experience is the FD when done without a 3rd hand. But a little finess can similarly get the job done.
I concur, I only use the cable tensioning tool for the FD. Especially useful when one of my bikes dont have a the FD barrel adjuster to dial in the tension. Never use it for the brakes ... its just squeeze the brakes, and then use the adjuster to do the fine adjustment.