Buying a new bike - Avanti Giro 4

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Buying a new bike - Avanti Giro 4

Postby galactictuan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey guys, I'm a longtime MTB rider. Just wanted some feedback/reviews from users on this forum.

Been shopping around and I'm thinking of getting the Avanti Giro 4 road bike which costs $1199 from my local Avanti retailer.

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/av590a110/title/avanti-giro-4

The bike got a 4-star review on bikeradar.
I was wondering if anyone else here has this bike also - and what do you think of the $1199 price for it?

It's Full 105 with an Ultegra Rear deraileur.

Any comments/replies are much appreciated, cheers! :)
galactictuan

by BNA » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 am

BNA

Re: Buying a new bike - Avanti Giro 4

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 am

galactictuan wrote:Hey guys, I'm a longtime MTB rider. Just wanted some feedback/reviews from users on this forum.

Been shopping around and I'm thinking of getting the Avanti Giro 4 road bike which costs $1199 from my local Avanti retailer.

http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/av590a110/title/avanti-giro-4

The bike got a 4-star review on bikeradar.
I was wondering if anyone else here has this bike also - and what do you think of the $1199 price for it?

It's Full 105 with an Ultegra Rear deraileur.

Any comments/replies are much appreciated, cheers! :)

Gday mate. I have a 2011 Giro 4. I am not sure if you are looking at a 2011 or 2012. The link you posted suggests a 2011.

The 2011 isn't full 105. Brake callipers and cranks arent 105.

If it is a 2011, the rims aren't exactly great. Shimano R500s I think. I had the rear replaced under warranty after breaking 6 spokes in the first 1200kms. I am however 95kgs. The front is getting re laced today with DT Swiss spokes as 2 of them have gone in the past week.

The tyres it came with were way too soft for my liking. Replaced them in the first 1000kms.

Apart from those things, I love it. I got mine in May last year and it cost me $1299, so it sounds like a ok deal. I would maybe push for a bigger discount. I don't know what comparable bikes of other brands are selling for though. It has just rolled over 6100kms and I am very happy with it. See my blog in my sig for some photos of where it has been ridden. I like by the beach and the roads aren't all that flash. The ride is pretty good for an aluminium frame. The CF seat stays and forks help. It comes with Shimano SPD-SL pedals, so you will need shoes to fit them.

Yell out of you have any other questions.
norbs

Postby galactictuan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am

norbs wrote:Yell out of you have any other questions.

Wow, thanks buddy! Appreciate it.

One other question, do you know the weight of the bike?

P.S. Love that photo of the bike at Paddocks, Pyree. :)
galactictuan

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:46 pm

galactictuan wrote:
norbs wrote:Yell out of you have any other questions.

Wow, thanks buddy! Appreciate it.

One other question, do you know the weight of the bike?

P.S. Love that photo of the bike at Paddocks, Pyree. :)

The bike before it got lumbered with lights and other crap was 8.5kg from memory. I cant be 100% on that, but it was nearly half the weight of the flat bad hybrid I was riding. Oh boy, you can tell the difference. :)
norbs

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Sorry to the OP for butting in but Norbs, does the Giro have rack mounts?

I maybe in the market for something to use as a commuter and as I don't like riding with a backpack I want something that has a capacity to carry a rack and paniers.

tia
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby norbs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:14 pm

marinmomma wrote:Sorry to the OP for butting in but Norbs, does the Giro have rack mounts?

I maybe in the market for something to use as a commuter and as I don't like riding with a backpack I want something that has a capacity to carry a rack and paniers.

tia

No. Having said that, I have been commuting on it for 10 months, and today I rode in sans backpack. I got organised and left clothes at work. It was liberating. I loved it.
norbs

Postby marinmomma » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks Norbs, scratch that one off the list of potential bikes....I've ridden to work with a backpack on before at my current work which is only 6-7ks from home and didn't enjoy it, it obsured my view when doing shoulder checks somewhat and hurt my shoulder/neck as well.

The new job is located in South Brisbane which will add about 10ks to the commute and there's a decent climb in the middle of the journey on the way home, too far to ride with a backpack, for me anyway!

Thanks again and too the OP good luck with the bike search
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby galactictuan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:04 pm

norbs wrote:The bike before it got lumbered with lights and other crap was 8.5kg from memory. I cant be 100% on that, but it was nearly half the weight of the flat bad hybrid I was riding. Oh boy, you can tell the difference. :)

Thanks for the info norbs.

If i can haggle to get the bike down to $1000, then I will get it, if not, I might get something else -- something that looks a little more aggressive.
galactictuan

Return to Buying a bike / parts