So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Elvisidal

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby Elvisidal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:42 am

Mububban wrote:This guy has done a few videos on his Walmart Mongoose dual suspension MTB:

quick bump but what level are the Mongoose bikes we get here?

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 am

Elvisidal wrote:
Mububban wrote:This guy has done a few videos on his Walmart Mongoose dual suspension MTB:

quick bump but what level are the Mongoose bikes we get here?

mongoose seem to have a 2 tier selection.
entry level(crappy department store models)

and

mid (pro models)

Elvisidal

Postby Elvisidal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Yeah I gathered that I meant what's available here in Australian stores?
I have a Fireball and 29 meteore 'sport' but both were gumtree buys 2-300 suit my needs

koshari

Postby koshari » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:08 am

Elvisidal wrote:Yeah I gathered that I meant what's available here in Australian stores?
I have a Fireball and 29 meteore 'sport' but both were gumtree buys 2-300 suit my needs

its hard to state because the lines in the big box stores tend to chop and change pretty frequently, it would appear that mobs like Big W tend to alternate between repco, probike, mongoose, haro etc. they dont seem to consistently stock the same lines,

googling the models can sometimes score a hit on a back catalog which advertised the said bike but specs and details are generally rare.

I would say the fireball and meteore would have been a bike shop bought models going by the images google returns, 3 piece crank, discs double walled wheels and ally frame,middle range sram,shimano components etc where as the department store models are generally are steel stems, cranks, frames, rims with tourney complementary.

The meteore is pretty much a 29er version of a 26" tyax i have.

i know that historically the mongoose mid/pro range have been imported by the same mob that imports GT and sold through "Bicycle Center" outlets, wouldnt suprise me if your models have a sticker on the frame indicating it was sold by a LBS.

http://monzaimports.com.au/cycling/?page_id=24

So in summary, no it looks like you have missed out on a "genuine" Big W bike and scored quality appointed "real" bikes instead :-)

Having said that some of their recent "progear" branded bikes appear to be approaching acceptable quality, however their pricing looks exxy to me for tourney equipped bikes, Reid and others sell similar pricepoints with claris and altus level complementary.

Elvisidal

Postby Elvisidal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:20 am

I was just curious as I've been looking at making the fireball single speed and seen a lot of stuff about Walmart versions in the USA
I'm riding a diamond back bmx I liberated from a footpath garbage dump the other day :lol: aside from needing a critically bigger seat and wider handlebars being back on 20s after 30 years was fun ....

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:05 am

good find with the DB BMX, i been looking out for a 21" bmx frame and just nothing about....

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:04 pm

The current Big W Mothers Day catalogue has two womens bicycles for sale.

Repco Haven MTB $99

Repco Traveller Cruiser $159