Faster soul racing wheels?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Faster soul racing wheels?

Postby Wayfarer » Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 am

Hey guys, I've been working alot lately, and have been eyeballing some Soul wheels. My mate recommended them to me, and I take his opinion heavily, but I'm unsure what really works between the S 4.0 and S3.0
http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php? ... &Itemid=12
and
http://www.bikesoul.com/2009/index.php? ... &Itemid=11

Realistically, the main difference is the aero one is 160grams heavier, because of a 10mm deeper rim. Does 10mm make more of a difference than 160 grams, or am I better off shaving the weight off? I mostly race triathlons, including ones with awesome hills.
Cheers in advance for your opinions and insight!
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

by BNA » Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 am

BNA

Re: Faster soul racing wheels?

Postby usernameforme » Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 am

from my experience with aero wheels, its more to do with the shape of the rim than the rim depth... also some deeper wheels will give a harsh ride. personally, i think that aero trumps light weight, but that's just me
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? - Sun Tzu

Postby Zynster » Wed May 02, 2012 11:41 am

Go the S4. The S3 are cheaper wheel and I've read some not so good things about their reliability.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross
Zynster

Postby NhiTrac » Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 pm

I believe the S4.0 uses better hubs and bearings than the S3.0s

Personally, I would avoid SOUL unless they had a contact in Australia that you could deal with... I purchased a set of S4.0s from Sean (owner) and have had three spoke breaks on the rear non drive side.

Customer service and support from this point on was just downhill (initially suggested that I caused it by riding in the wet, and didn't maintain them properly - this was within six months of ownership :roll: ). Long story short, in his last correspondence to me he went on about his hectic personal life being the reason for his unprofessional and abrupt responses. That was the last straw for me. I purchased his product, not his life story.

I am still using the S.40s today though I spent about $120 having the non drive side relaced with DT Swiss spokes. When these wheels give way (or when I have some spare cash) I'll be changing them for something local.

Apologies, didn't mean to turn this into an anti SOUL post, though I thought I'd give a fellow BNA member a heads up about it. Should you do purchase a set of wheels from him, I hope you have better luck than I did.

Cheers
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby Wayfarer » Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys, you've brought alot to the table I didn't realise before.. Harshness of ride means nothing to me, I'm about 60kg's :lol:
It looks like their customer service is about as good as an insurance company after a crash.. Not great. Maybe I'll shop around a bit more then make up my mind; I'm not in any hurry by any stretch.
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby usernameforme » Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 pm

i'm about 60kg too, i find that anything deeper than 30mm gets me blown around the road on anything but a calm day :| perhaps pro-lite bracciano or shimano rs80s are worth a look? edge slr-300 are also nice... so many options :roll:
Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? - Sun Tzu

Postby steve-waters » Mon May 07, 2012 9:31 am

What about some TWE hand built AL wheels? Greg would be able to build you a very nice set.

If looking Pro-Lite why not goes next level up look at these, love the hubs http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=83.

1. TWE for sure
2. Pro-lite

Both options supporting local guys and industry
Roadie: BeOne Black, SRAM Force, TWE 50mm full carbon clinchers, Vértebrae ceramic cable housings
MTB: Chin29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels
ex-MTB now commuter: Cannondale F900 (CAAD 4), Headshok, TWE wheels, XT and Elixr CR
steve-waters

Return to Buying a bike / parts