Campag running low on PBK

MountGower

Campag running low on PBK

Postby MountGower » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Does anyone have the goss on why PBK is virtually out of Campag?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Lack of interest from discerning riders?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

SLH

Postby SLH » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Lack of interest from discerning riders?

Shaun
What's the story there Shaun?

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:38 pm

The story is as it is with everyone else. The day he actually uses it for the first time, he'll never look back.

For the record, he is actually joking.

othy

Postby othy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

MountGower wrote:For the record, he is actually joking.
No pun intended?

SLH

Postby SLH » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

MountGower wrote:The story is as it is with everyone else. The day he actually uses it for the first time, he'll never look back.

I must be tired after parent/teacher interviews. I'm shamed by not picking that up, as I live by the sarcasm rule. :)

I notice that total cycling has some in stock, and at a nice price.

Out of interest how would you rate the "chorus" groupset?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:07 pm

i think the inference is that campag is about to update it's line...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:07 pm

MountGower wrote:The story is as it is with everyone else. The day he actually uses it for the first time, he'll never look back.

It's got Sora shifters :roll: not till I grow a longer thumb.

End of "season" is a big possibility methinks.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:38 pm

Frank P wrote:Out of interest how would you rate the "chorus" groupset?
It's the most durable of all Campy groups. It's the group that is as refined as Record but without the extra weight savings through Ti parts.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 am

I got Chorus in 1995 (first year it had Ergo) and its still running strong - though supporting 8-speed is beginning to become a bit of a hassle. Excellent groupset and when I upgrade it will be Campagnolo again for sure (I hope I can afford Chorus again). A big plus is the ablity to rebuild your ergo levers when something gives/wears out, which I've done. I gather that with Shimano you'd be up for new levers.

Different strokes for diffrent folks, but Campag does it for me.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:45 am

Jean wrote:I gather that with Shimano you'd be up for new levers.
Not any more apparently. You can now get an internals cartridge for $60 that replaces all of the pawls, ratchets, washers and springs that make up an STI shifter.

Will find out how well it works, I know someone who recently broke his left shifter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:51 am

G-spring seemed to be the only component that requires replacing in the Campy Ergo lever. Based on net feedback, everything else just seemed to last till it meets its maker.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:22 pm

I've heard (very informally) that certain manufacturers are being more 'selective' in who they are supplying. There was a strong inference that online stores were receiving a lower priority in the supply chain than bricks and mortar stores.
ps. Campagnolo parts are hard enough to get from real stores in Canberra at the moment, so making things tougher for the online guys doesn't seem to be making parts easier to come by. :?
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Bnej wrote: ... can now get an internals cartridge for $60 that replaces all of the pawls, ratchets, washers and springs that make up an STI shifter ...
How soon can you let us know?
I've got a 9-speed 105 groupset that I'm not using, but really it's just the shifters that aren't working. If the kits work, it would be a good option for getting my 12-year old on a reasonable road bike.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:57 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
Bnej wrote: ... can now get an internals cartridge for $60 that replaces all of the pawls, ratchets, washers and springs that make up an STI shifter ...
How soon can you let us know?
I've got a 9-speed 105 groupset that I'm not using, but really it's just the shifters that aren't working. If the kits work, it would be a good option for getting my 12-year old on a reasonable road bike.
Not too long I think. It's a friend's Madone 4.5 which needs it, so unless he decides to replace the whole shifter I think he'll get the repair done.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, apparently it replaces all of the internals in one piece, so just the lever & body remain. I am not sure of compatibility though.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:40 am

I've heard (very informally) that certain manufacturers are being more 'selective' in who they are supplying. There was a strong inference that online stores were receiving a lower priority in the supply chain than bricks and mortar stores.
Though I doubt Campag is going broke I'd have thought that any opportunitty to get further in this Shimano dominated world would be a good thing. Places like PBK make Campag much more acceptable to your average rider who thought they could only afford Shimano.

Having been in small business I'm sympathetic to the LBS trying to compete with the likes of PBK, but I feel a lot less sympathy for monopolistic importers who charge like wounded bulls. One recently quoted me >$50 for a set of replacement old style ergo (pointy top) lever covers. Given you can buy the new style ones OS for about $15 and a set of Shimano ones for about $20 locally, this is ridiculous.