Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 pm

agree with above wrt the C50s and C75s.... ugly as.... like the crank personally, altho i took mine out only to put in a quarq, otherwise i'd still be running the DA crank....
Image
Dr_Mutley
 
Posts: 2153
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159

by BNA » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 pm

BNA
 

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 pm

sblack wrote:
Ross wrote:There wouldn't be much call for it as most of the Di2 sales would be for roadies/racer, most of whom are weight concious and therefore wouldn't contemplate a dynamo, they are more for commuters or tourers
Then why have they made Alfine Di2?


Obviously for commuters and tourers, haven't seen any in real life though. Most commuters/tourers seem more budget concious than your average roadie and don't seem to succumb to "upgraditis" as much so it would be interesting to see how many Di2 Alfine hubs are sold (either in Australia or worldwide).

I would of thought an OEM MTB version would of been developed before a hub version. Maybe the electronics are too fragile for MTBs.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Ross wrote:Obviously for commuters and tourers, haven't seen any in real life though. Most commuters/tourers seem more budget concious than your average roadie and don't seem to succumb to "upgraditis" as much so it would be interesting to see how many Di2 Alfine hubs are sold (either in Australia or worldwide).


don't worry - commuters get upgraditis too, but yes, we are more budget conscious. Currently more interested in the road bike/disc brake trend than electronic gear changes.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5759
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:Shimano continues to be the winner in the "we make the ugliest crank competition" Take that Shimano!!


Only if you're stuck in the 1930s Campy mindset of what a crankset should look like!!!


This
Image

Looks like a fully sik rim on a boganmobile

Or this

Image

Understated and gracefull.

Honestly, no contest. 8)


Without doubt DR. No matter how good the gear might be, that crankset is an absolute dealbreaker for me, what's with the huge unsupported arc opposite the crank?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25643
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby zozza » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:52 am

Its not just the crankset that would look perfectly at home on a bike in BigW or Kmart :roll:

Whats with the Rear Derailleur? Looks like Shimano are using the same designers who Toyota use to shape the front bumper on a camry?

Image

:mrgreen:
User avatar
zozza
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:43 am

I'll take it... It will look hot in the cold this winter on my cx bike :-) .
Well you won't see it after the first lap after i get some mud on it, but it will feel good!.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14351
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby TDC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:what's with the huge unsupported arc opposite the crank?

Shaun


That was covered in the article. Has to do with where the loadings occur in the pedal stroke.

Big advantage of this crank is being able to use compact through to standard chain rings with the same spider.
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Parrott » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:53 pm

TDC wrote:
That was covered in the article. Has to do with where the loadings occur in the pedal stroke.

Big advantage of this crank is being able to use compact through to standard chain rings with the same spider.


Found it on the fairwheels link on the previous page, thanks. Glad it's not a styling thing and has an engineering basis behind it. Function over form, doesn't look so bad when you understand there are advantages in the design.

Thanks to their continued refinement of super stiff hollow forged chainrings, Shimano could eliminate one of the spider arms and go to a 4 arm arrangement. The placement of the 4 arms aligns with the power delivery of the rider’s pedal stroke, with the gap placed at the ‘dead spot’. And the stiffer rings are able to handle the longer spans of unsupported ring. The 4 arm design does away with different spiders for compact and standard and replaces them with a proprietary bolt circle for all configurations. Chainring options will be 50/34, 52/36, 52/38, 53/39, 54/42, and 55/42.
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Parrott wrote:Glad it's not a styling thing and has an engineering basis behind it.
...
The 4 arm design does away with different spiders for compact and standard and replaces them with a proprietary bolt circle for all configurations.

Is it me, or is Shimano the Microsoft of the cycling world? They want to continue dominating the market, so always have an "engineering" reason for their proprietary (and patented) designs.
User avatar
rkelsen
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby TDC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:39 pm

I think it's you. So far I haven't had to reboot any of my Shimano equipped bikes mid ride :lol:
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm

TDC wrote:I think it's you. So far I haven't had to reboot any of my Shimano equipped bikes mid ride :lol:

i don't remember my bike getting the sasser virus either
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5759
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby open roader » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Functioning aside, my 20 cents says it's a significant cosmetic improvement on the initial Di2 but still looks screams 'RoboCop'.

I'm still trying to suss if the new Di2 11sp. will be retro compatible with current DA 10 speed in so far as freehub / cassettes go.... a-la-Campag......? Surely........? :?
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
User avatar
open roader
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby TDC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Robo-cop was awesome
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby open roader » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Image
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
User avatar
open roader
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby HLC » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Meanwhile, in Italy:

Image
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:31 pm

open roader wrote:I'm still trying to suss if the new Di2 11sp. will be retro compatible with current DA 10 speed in so far as freehub / cassettes go.... a-la-Campag......? Surely........? :?


I've got twenty bucks that says NO. Make stuff backward compatible and people will buy spares not upgrades.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25643
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am

open roader wrote:Functioning aside, my 20 cents says it's a significant cosmetic improvement on the initial Di2 but still looks screams 'RoboCop'.

I'm still trying to suss if the new Di2 11sp. will be retro compatible with current DA 10 speed in so far as freehub / cassettes go.... a-la-Campag......? Surely........? :?


Yes you can put 10 speed cassette on new DA wheels

VeloNews wrote:Remember that you must use one of Shimano’s new wheels (or a Mavic wheel) to run the new 11-speed groups. The new wheels are, however, backwards compatible. You can run a 10-speed cassette on the newest offerings with use of a 2.85mm spacer.


VeloNews wrote:The new cogs are the same width as the 10-speed versions; they’re simply closer together. Chains, therefore, also retain the same width rollers. Only the outer plates of the chain are thinner. The outer plates are also now solid, instead of relieved like on Shimano’s current chains. Also gone is the need to orient the chain directionally.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby chickenlips » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:37 am

Unfortunately the Minister of Finance (aka She Who Must be Obeyed) will not let me do a complete upgrade (something about cost, waste of money etc)

Ok, so I've got a Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2010). Does this mean I can run a new 11 speed cassette and
new chain with my Ultegra 6700 10 speed system?

Regards to all............................
chickenlips
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 11:46 am

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby TDC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:30 am

No, I dont think so. Your shifters will still be indexed for 10 speed.
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 am

chickenlips wrote:Ok, so I've got a Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2010). Does this mean I can run a new 11 speed cassette and
new chain with my Ultegra 6700 10 speed system?

Regards to all............................

my reading is the new wheels are 10-speed (backwards compatible), but the old wheels are not 11-speed compatible.

hang on - don't mavics run an extra 1mm spacer????
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5759
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Parrott » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:46 am

Bike Radar article on new Dura Ace 9000 mechanical groupset
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby Parrott » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:10 pm

jasonc wrote:
chickenlips wrote:Ok, so I've got a Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2010). Does this mean I can run a new 11 speed cassette and
new chain with my Ultegra 6700 10 speed system?

Regards to all............................

my reading is the new wheels are 10-speed (backwards compatible), but the old wheels are not 11-speed compatible.

hang on - don't mavics run an extra 1mm spacer????


Mine also which is a major PITA :x

My existing wheels will be useless for a new 11 speed groupo if I buy one
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby jasonc » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Parrott wrote:
jasonc wrote:
chickenlips wrote:Ok, so I've got a Mavic Ksyrium Elites (2010). Does this mean I can run a new 11 speed cassette and
new chain with my Ultegra 6700 10 speed system?

Regards to all............................

my reading is the new wheels are 10-speed (backwards compatible), but the old wheels are not 11-speed compatible.

hang on - don't mavics run an extra 1mm spacer????


Mine also which is a major PITA :x

My existing wheels will be useless for a new 11 speed groupo if I buy one


looks like we'll see some cheap wheels on the market with people upgrading....
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5759
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Postby Deusirae » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:11 pm

biker jk wrote:Take that Campy EPS!

I see nothing which lessens the appeal of Campagnolo's EPS system.

The posts in this thread don't seem to understand that Campagnolo EPS buyers could not care less what Shimano has done or will do. They are buying Campagnolo EPS because it has the Campagnolo imprimatur on it. Nothing else will suffice and nothing else is necessary.
Deusirae
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: Dura-Ace Di2 9070, Take that Campy EPS!

Postby TDC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Deusirae wrote:Nothing else will suffice and nothing else is necessary.


are you for real? :roll:
TDC
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

PreviousNext

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit