RB Bell

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

RB Bell

Postby chamitha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Anyone using or used this bell?

http://www.rbbell.com/

I like the design but not sure if the beeping sound will alert pads to an approaching bike given most are familiar with the traditional "ding" of bicycle bells.
chamitha

by BNA » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:49 pm

BNA

Re: RB Bell

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:49 pm

I have an Air Zound, and on bike paths I find often that peds don't register it until I am right up their clacker despite the 115db. Then they jump sky-high.

Maybe they think it's a car horn or something?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby chamitha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:I have an Air Zound, and on bike paths I find often that peds don't register it until I am right up their clacker despite the 115db. Then they jump sky-high.

Maybe they think it's a car horn or something?

Exactly what I was thinking. As I said I think people are more familiar with relating the bell sound to a bike but most other sounds are ignored as they are on a path. Bummer!
chamitha

Postby ray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:13 pm

chamitha wrote:Anyone using or used this bell?

http://www.rbbell.com/

I like the design but not sure if the beeping sound will alert pads to an approaching bike given most are familiar with the traditional "ding" of bicycle bells.

Has anyone actually heard how this bell sounds? There is not a audio file on their site and nothing on youtube that I could find so it make you wonder if it is worth purchasing....
ray

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm

There's a youtube vid on the front page of chamitha's link. The sound is actually alright, I think. It's different enough that peds should go WT? :shock: and look behind them, and it won;t get confused for a car horn. Of course, you'd only know after you bought one.

Would work well for me on the mtb but interested to know what you'd do on a drop bar.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:11 pm

This might be an audible warning device worth looking at. Vic peds are deaf to ting bells.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

The secret to getting past peds to ensure you are going fast enough that any sudden movements are easy to ignore because you'll be past them. My experience with the AZ is that while it can defeat the iPod, it's hard to mount it in a position that allows you to use it in an emergency situation. I tend to have my hands on brakes instead of horns. The AZ seems better suited to the moments where you would blast a car horn when driving - bad reversing decisions, for example. You can see it going to happen, but need to be heard over someone else's engine noise.

Just stick with the bell on the path, and you've got a voice. Learn to use and abuse it. :idea:
Xplora

Postby RobertFrith » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 pm

A battery to run a bell seems overly complicated.
RobertFrith

Postby ray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:There's a youtube vid on the front page of chamitha's link. The sound is actually alright, I think. It's different enough that peds should go WT? :shock: and look behind them, and it won;t get confused for a car horn. Of course, you'd only know after you bought one.

Would work well for me on the mtb but interested to know what you'd do on a drop bar.

My bad - when I looked at bells a few months ago that youtube video was definitely not there. Thanks.
ray

Postby rkelsen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Can it integrate with Di2?
rkelsen

Postby chamitha » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:10 pm

My bad - when I looked at bells a few months ago that youtube video was definitely not there. Thanks.

I second that. I did have a look a few months back and found it odd the bell wasn't rung in the vid. That seems to have been remedied now. I do recall one of the vids or blurbs stating that it does fit on road bikes with drops as well.
chamitha

Postby Ross » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:47 am

rkelsen wrote:Can it integrate with Di2?

Yes but the Campy EPS version isn't due out until later in the year
Ross

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 am

I wouldn't mind actually having some sort of megaphone/air horn for the bike, something that will allow me to personalise my interaction with fellow path users. Seen anything like this?

The RB Bell has the wrong sound effect but they make the point that it is safer as you don't have to take a hand off the bars to operate their bell, I guess a megaphone might not be so useful in that light. Something like the RB but programable, maybe several buttons for savoured messages escalating from diplomatic to a booming 'move it or you're about to become retread'. You could call this device the MoFo Messager. Somebody make one.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 am

Xplora wrote:My experience with the AZ is that while it can defeat the iPod, it's hard to mount it in a position that allows you to use it in an emergency situation. I tend to have my hands on brakes instead of horns. The AZ seems better suited to the moments where you would blast a car horn when driving - bad reversing decisions, for example. You can see it going to happen, but need to be heard over someone else's engine noise.

Just stick with the bell on the path, and you've got a voice. Learn to use and abuse it. :idea:

That's my experience too. I bought one after nearly being cleaned up twice on the same commute in situations where I would have used the AZ. Haven't used it since. There was once I would have used it but I was too busy braking/swerving to use it. I haven't used it on iZombies yet though I've been sorely tempted a few times. I have a bell on the bike too which suffices for most pedestrian interaction, and use my voice for the rest.
Ozkaban

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Xplora wrote:My experience with the AZ is that while it can defeat the iPod, it's hard to mount it in a position that allows you to use it in an emergency situation. I tend to have my hands on brakes instead of horns. The AZ seems better suited to the moments where you would blast a car horn when driving - bad reversing decisions, for example. You can see it going to happen, but need to be heard over someone else's engine noise.

That's my experience too. I bought one after nearly being cleaned up twice on the same commute in situations where I would have used the AZ. Haven't used it since. There was once I would have used it but I was too busy braking/swerving to use it. I haven't used it on iZombies yet though I've been sorely tempted a few times. I have a bell on the bike too which suffices for most pedestrian interaction, and use my voice for the rest.

I use my voice first, if no response, then I use the AZ.

and it terms of mounting issues with brifters, you can always create a remote trigger - just need a valve switch and a tube with some ends (yes it's on my list of things to do)
jasonc

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I've just bought a hornit (the rabid parakeet). It is LOUD when you test fire it inside the lounge at home :roll: :lol: . But it's the chirping sound that is unusual. It doesn't go ding like regular bells but i have that and a bell. My hornit was actually aimed for cars but i expect i'll use it on dingbat pedestrians in time too. (I pass one bus stop on a major route where people obviously see their bus coming and run straight across in front of cyclists (including myself). the parakeet could be useful in those circumstances to give them a buzz to make them at least think first. :twisted: Of course I would always give the usual ding first, but over traffic and ipods, it just doesn't seem to register a lot of the time.
cp123

Postby MrToad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I bought one of these from Ivanhoe Cycles ($15). For that price I thought I'd give it a go. A bit disappointed, not loud at all. In fact I'm pretty sure I could fart louder than this. Having said that it is handy for crowded situations such as riding through south bank on a Sunday arvo. A continuous blast does seem to scatter the crowds but as a replacement or the ping bell... no way.
Also it doesn't fit the carbon bars on my road bike.
MrToad

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 am

MrToad wrote:I bought one of these from Ivanhoe Cycles ($15). For that price I thought I'd give it a go. A bit disappointed, not loud at all. In fact I'm pretty sure I could fart louder than this. Having said that it is handy for crowded situations such as riding through south bank on a Sunday arvo. A continuous blast does seem to scatter the crowds but as a replacement or the ping bell... no way.

A bit too difficult to fart in that manner?
jasonc

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:38 am

jasonc wrote:
MrToad wrote:I bought one of these from Ivanhoe Cycles ($15). For that price I thought I'd give it a go. A bit disappointed, not loud at all. In fact I'm pretty sure I could fart louder than this. Having said that it is handy for crowded situations such as riding through south bank on a Sunday arvo. A continuous blast does seem to scatter the crowds but as a replacement or the ping bell... no way.

A bit too difficult to fart in that manner?

You need to include more legumes in your diet :mrgreen:
Xplora

Postby TTar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like a phone in the video -- can't see that having the desired effect...

Also, unless MrToad's flatulence is particularly thunderous, the bell is probably not all that loud -- there's lots of similar "toys" in the two dollar shops that would work just as well.

We need to do sound level checks with a decibel meter on this -- MrToad's rear end, I mean.
Sent from my fortified compound
TTar

Return to Buying a bike / parts