Tips on buying a road bike for commuting to work

garyc1975

Tips on buying a road bike for commuting to work

Postby garyc1975 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Hi

I currently ride to work around 20km daily on a hybrid bike, but am now looking to step up onto a road bike.

I'm not sure what to go for and am getting blinded by the options.

I'm looking at starting to increase the distance of my road cycling, so would be grateful if I could get a few tips on brands of bike to look at. I cycle all year round to work come rain, hail or sunshine so would like to get a bike that can handle this.

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Thanks

garyc1975

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi Gary, there is no straight answer to your question as everyone is different and therefor there are different solutions for each of us.

Do some searching on this site, as there are quite a few who have asked the same question. Read thru and report back here some of the ideas you have come up with. With this additional info we can add our views and experiences.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

garyc1975

Postby garyc1975 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi

Have done my research and have got a narrow down to Malvern Star Bol D'or, Trek 1.7 or Avanti Giro as they are in the price range that I am looking to spend between $1,500 and $2,000.

Have also been looking at Cannondales, but haven't been able to get too much information on the prices of the 2009 models (any ideas of where I could).

Any opinions or recommendations would be good. Am going to be having a ride of these bikes in the next couple of weeks to see which feels good.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Gary, I'm in much the same situation as you (requirements and budget); I ruled out the MS because I'm not comfortable leaving a carbon fiber bike in the inadequate parking facilities at my work, and because I want reliability and comfort over performance in a commuter. The plan is that the next bike will be a dedicated speed machine 8)

Giant Defy 1 and Defy Alliance Sport are also both within your price range, and deserving of a test ride, as is the Cell Team.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm

cell bikes are sick as
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:42 am

May I recommend Cannondale CAAD 9-6 with Shimano tiagra gruppo if you are keeping your old bike as a rain bike. maybe too beut for a rain bike if you are getting rid of your old commuter bike.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 am

I have a Giant OCR1, full tiagra that I use as my commuter. I have 2500km so far and she is going great. Aluminium frame/carbon forks and tough wheels.

It had rack mounts on the frame (which is why I chose an aluminium frame) and I have put a bike rack and pannier bags on the back to make it easy to carry gear to work, clothes etc. I use SPD shoes that have the recessed cleat so I can still walk into the office to get changed.

Haven't had a problem and I am not fussed if it gets wet.

cheers
glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:54 am

garyc1975 wrote:Hi

Have also been looking at Cannondales, but haven't been able to get too much information on the prices of the 2009 models (any ideas of where I could).
Try this shop if in Sydney. www.komcyclery.com.au
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:56 pm

G'day

You mention commuting. Do you need to or intend to carry clothes, laptop etc to work and/or home? If so, then you will need to consider carrying options, such as backpack versus panniers. If you go with panniers then one thing to consider is whether you can mount them on your new piece of bling.

Regards
Andrew

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:05 pm

garyc1975 wrote:Hi

Have done my research and have got a narrow down to Malvern Star Bol D'or, Trek 1.7 or Avanti Giro as they are in the price range that I am looking to spend between $1,500 and $2,000.

Any opinions or recommendations would be good. Am going to be having a ride of these bikes in the next couple of weeks to see which feels good.
Panther Cycles at Penrith long woth the aforementioned KOM Cyclery at Neutral Bay are dealers of C'Dale.

Cheers,

Lou