Looking for a good hybrid bike under $500

Mach 1

Looking for a good hybrid bike under $500

Postby Mach 1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi guys, looking at buying a hybrid bike for myself and wife. Will be mainly cruising to shops, train station and school. Looked at giant cypress dx, progear cx400 and esperia cross fire. We like the cushion seats, upright position and front suspension. But keen to look at more brands and want advise to narrow our search. Any ideas?

kljubic

Re: Looking for a good hybrid bike under $500

Postby kljubic » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi

I had been riding my mountain bike 25km to work and back and was tossing up buying road tyres or cheap hybrid... I ended up getting a Merida speeder t1 Flat bar road bike...rrp $749 but looked around for cheapest price and got it for $599...2012 model...last years model was cheaper and may be a option for you.

The difference between a flat bar road bike and a hybrid - i was told was a hybrid is closer to a mountain bike, shocies in front fork and heavier then the flat bar bikes where as the flat bar road bike is closer to a road bike, generally lighter frame and no shockies but have the flat handle bars ....since buying i have only had a couple opportunities to take it for a ride...damn this rain.. but really comfy and quite a bit faster than my old mountain bike.
I hope this helps

Mach 1

Postby Mach 1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks for the advise Kljubic, I will try it. But I have tried other flat bar bikes and am not comfy with the slight leaning position due to lower back issues. I would prefer the upright position so if there are any further suggestions please let me know.

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Mach,

How did you go? Would love to know what bike yourself and your wife ended up getting. I have only just recently gotten back on a bike (24km bike ride, first ride since l was 12, I'm now 25) and l have purchased (lay-by'd) a cypress! I am looking forward to riding it =)