Cables cables cables!

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Cables cables cables!

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi all,

So this evening I was forced to take a spoon of cement on the M5 with 25km to go, when my cable snapped forcing the rear derailleur into the lowest cog :shock:

Anyway I made it home OK though with a higher average heart rate :lol:

I'm going to replace all the inner cables as well as the outer sleeve as they haven't been replaced for about 7,000km+. Are there any specific brands that you guys swear by?

I remember reading somewhere about sealed cables etc but cant recall the brand. Are these worth the extra $$$ or should I just pop over at the LBS and grab some OEM ones?

Lastly, on average (taking into consideration time and distance), when should cables be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

by BNA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

BNA

Re: Cables cables cables!

Postby Tornado » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Can't help you with cables, but in future if you have a screw driver or anything that could be used as one you can lock your derailleur out in a better gear. Adjust the limit to whichever gear you prefer.

2012 Avanti Giro 3
2003 GT Palomar
Tornado

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Tornado wrote:Can't help you with cables, but in future if you have a screw driver or anything that could be used as one you can lock your derailleur out in a better gear. Adjust the limit to whichever gear you prefer.

Thanks mate. I did not know this, will google it up.

Have also added a multi-tool to my shopping list.

Cheers
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Commonly known as the "B screw" is what Tornado is referring too on your derailleur it force the jockey wheel to climb the cluster and just make small adjustments so the chain will stay on the cassette you choose.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 pm

NhiTrac wrote:I remember reading somewhere about sealed cables etc but cant recall the brand. Are these worth the extra $$$ or should I just pop over at the LBS and grab some OEM ones?

I have recently fitted a set of Gore Ride On cables on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. Probably overkill for a touring bike but I am quite impressed with these cables. Nice and smooth operation.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:57 pm

I use Jagwire all round with little drama but I'm thinking of a Gore kit for the commuter next time around. Typically, I go yearly, just after winter.
It's pretty easy to check your cables every time you do the chain, an ounce of prevention etc.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Cardy George » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 am

Once upon a time there were Teflon coated cables, are they still available?
Fondreist R10, Dura-Ace, Cosmic SL's
Specialized Hardrock, Spinergy Xyclones
And the occasional trailer full of kids......
Cardy George

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 am

Don't get cheap ones, they won't last the 7000kms you put in on the last set that's for sure!

I use the DuraAce in my road bike, i definitely can feel the difference to something that costs $5-$10. Haven't really experimented with others on the road bike but the other bikes usually get the cheaper stockpiled ones.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 am

Cardy George wrote:Once upon a time there were Teflon coated cables, are they still available?

Yes

I no longer worry about PTFE coated cables I buy a can CRC Dry Glide this allows you to coat the cables and spray the outer cables for a super slick operation. I also use this to coat parts that need lubricating but you want it to be dry so mud and road crud doesn't stick. Because it bonds to the material water doesn't effect it but just be careful how you apply it because it bonds so well if there is over spray you end up with some of your parts looking a shade of white so don't get near your paint work. It won't hurt your paint work but it bonds to it and hard to get off.

Using Dry Glide you never have to worry about sticky cables but it cost 20 clams a can and last for ever.

http://www.crcind.com.au/dry-glide-with-ptfe

Ricky
Last edited by }SkOrPn--7 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

I put gore low friction ones on my commuter when I built it. Not overly cheap (about $30 each for brakes and gears) but you can notice the difference. Happy to have spent the money.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

I'm getting Yokozuna cables for my next bike. Apparently they are the bees knees for SRAM.

SRAM now ship Red with Gore cables as standard BTW>
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

__PG__ wrote:I'm getting Yokozuna cables for my next bike. Apparently they are the bees knees for SRAM.

You know, I was just about to ask you guys on your thoughts of these.

I have them in my wiggle basket right now at $59. Hopefully they'll fit into my top tube's internal routing.
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby __PG__ » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Yes, they do warn that the cable housings are rather stiff. Here is what competitive cycles said about them
1994 Cecil Walker custom steel frame with Shimano Ultegra STi
2013 Baum Corretto custom titanium frame with SRAM Force
__PG__

Postby Cardy George » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Right on cue!

DaveOZ Cables topic

Thanks Dave!
Fondreist R10, Dura-Ace, Cosmic SL's
Specialized Hardrock, Spinergy Xyclones
And the occasional trailer full of kids......
Cardy George

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm

That's sold it. Read a few other reviews and they all sound promising so have placed my order with some cutters :mrgreen:

Will update again once I've tested them out :mrgreen:
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby Dave R32 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Yokozuna are fantastic.

The brake outers have the same inner lining as the gear cables which makes for amazingly smooth feel. The only issue I found was the super stiff outers make routing these along your handlebars a bit more difficult than with normal cables.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K & Bianchi Pista SS |
Dave R32

Postby SpinninWheels » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
So this evening I was forced to take a spoon of cement on the M5 with 25km to go, when my cable snapped forcing the rear derailleur into the lowest cog :shock:

I hope you kept it in the big ring!
SpinninWheels

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:32 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Hi all,

Lastly, on average (taking into consideration time and distance), when should cables be replaced?

Varies depending on usage and conditions. I change mine twice per year and I've never broken a cable, had pleanty of outer housings getting ready to fail after 6 months of usage. I always use the Dura-Ace outer which I buy in a 20 metre roll and for the inner anything reasonable quality.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby steve-waters » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:00 pm

My outer will last forever but change my inners once or twice a year - same as Jacks near had one break.
Roadie: BeOne Black, SRAM Force, TWE 50mm full carbon clinchers, Vértebrae ceramic cable housings
MTB: Chin29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels
ex-MTB now commuter: Cannondale F900 (CAAD 4), Headshok, TWE wheels, XT and Elixr CR
steve-waters

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I'm about to build a bike with internal cable routing and i've seen a few links saying the Yokozuna cables may or may not fit, does anyone have any first hand experience?
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm about to build a bike with internal cable routing and i've seen a few links saying the Yokozuna cables may or may not fit, does anyone have any first hand experience?

Fitted Yokozunas to mine (internal rear brake) and they fit no problems.

Ps they absolutely transformed the shifting and braking on my bike. Am loving them!
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Return to Buying a bike / parts