Disc road frame for commuting

Reman

Re: Disc road frame for commuting

Postby Reman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:I got the boardman CX pro and it really is a nice frame/bike. You could always buy a complete one and sell the bits you don't want to recover some money? The frame and forks are identical between all of the Boardman CX varients so you could get the cheapest one and sell everything off, it's more work but I guess you could get the frame and forks down to the $500-600 mark?
Wiggle says no :x

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Reman wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:I got the boardman CX pro and it really is a nice frame/bike. You could always buy a complete one and sell the bits you don't want to recover some money? The frame and forks are identical between all of the Boardman CX varients so you could get the cheapest one and sell everything off, it's more work but I guess you could get the frame and forks down to the $500-600 mark?
looks like they are discontinuing for next years lines...

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Well I'll be damned, pitty because it's pretty much the uber-commuter, I guess they're making way for the next model or something.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:56 pm

Easy alternative?

1- Buy the carbon frame you want.

2- Wander down to any decent builder of racing dinghies and ask them to fit you with carbon mounts.

3- GIve them a bit of cash once you have picked up your frame and its immaculate ultra-strong and light mounts.

4- Enjoy the bike you want.

Adding carbon take-offs for point loads is easy as it could be in my experience. High tech racing boats these days use carbon chainplates (the bits that the rigging that holds the mast connect to) because they are easier, lighter, stronger and simpler than adding ss ones.

I can give you some names if you are in Sydney - a guy I know is a bike rider who works as a carbon engineer building some world-class hydrofoil sailing dinghies.

CX bikes are superb for commuting, and pretty damn fun as general bikes and for racing.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

rjk

Postby rjk » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 am

Chris249 wrote:Easy alternative?

CX bikes are superb for commuting, and pretty damn fun as general bikes and for racing.

+100
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Reman wrote:
If you are only interested in the frameset, we might be able to come to an arrangement.

I might be interested in the everything-but-the-frame, to bolt on to a custom frame I'm planning. I'll need a disk wheelset, shifters, derailers, crankset/BB, brakes. If theres bar, stem and seatpost going, that would save me raiding my own parts bin... nonplussed either way. Could also go either way on the fork... I'll need one, but it makes sense to keep the full CBoardman logo-matched frameset together.

I was going to wait a while, and I was kind of thinking Shimano hardware, but if the price is right I could be swayed. Basically I was figuring on buying a whole bike and hoping to get some cash back by on-selling the frame. But if you want to choose your frame and split the leftovers my way... noting as above that the CX Team is the same frame as the out-of-stock Pro... I might be able to jump on board for an Apex gruppo sooner than planned.

tim

Reman

Postby Reman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Tim, thanks for the offer, but I'm realistically not looking to build for a while yet.

I'm pretty set now on the Kinesis frame, it seems to fit all my requirements.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, they were all appreciated. I hope this thread can help others as its full of great suggestions and alternatives.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Reman wrote:Hi Tim, thanks for the offer, but I'm realistically not looking to build for a while yet.
My Minister for Defense and Spending is subconsciously relieved to hear it :lol:

I was wondering how I was going to get this one by her, ahead of (begrudgingly) agreed timing :oops:

tim

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Who has the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 for sale, I can't find it in stock anywhere.
No signature

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Bentnose wrote:Who has the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 for sale, I can't find it in stock anywhere.
a small amount here

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 pm

They have the Decade Tripster as well.
No signature

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:08 am

barefoot wrote:
Reman wrote:Hi Tim, thanks for the offer, but I'm realistically not looking to build for a while yet.
My Minister for Defense and Spending is subconsciously relieved to hear it :lol:

I was wondering how I was going to get this one by her, ahead of (begrudgingly) agreed timing :oops:

tim
Wow, broached the same topic last night to try and bring forward the purchase and I swear the WWW (world wife web) was humming as I just got the "look". :evil:

We need to coordinate the requests so they don't happen at the same time! :lol:

Reman

Postby Reman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 am

Bentnose wrote:Who has the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 for sale, I can't find it in stock anywhere.
Best price I found was shiny bikes. Use fram-5 code to get 5% off.

Otherwise winstanley has them as well.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 am

Reman wrote:We need to coordinate the requests so they don't happen at the same time! :lol:
I don't think we'll clash... I don't think my best course of action will be to buy a complete cross bike.

More likely will be to buy a complete road bike to strip rather than a CX. Cell, Hasa and the like regularly offer 105-ish equipped road bikes for $800-ish. That's a big saving on the $1500+ landed price of the Boardman Team... probably about enough to pay for a set of BB7 calipers and build up the wheels I want rather than settling for the OEM wheels on the CX bike.

Then I'll have the frameset to sell (admittedly a dodgy brand and not going to fetch the same $$ as a disc CX frame), as well as the OEM wheelset. And brakes, for whatever they're worth. Should be possible to come out the end with a better build on my bike for the same money as the stripped CXer route.

So, with all those bits bolted up to a Titan / XACD / Triton frame, I reckon I should have a custom Ti disc-braked CX/road/credit-card-tour bike that fits me, built up with 105, for about $2k. And that will do nicely.

tim

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

Nobody wrote: @Reman:

This cheap disc frame.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXKV2/pla ... _out_frame
Matched with this cheap disc fork:
http://www.aebike.com/Dimension-Cross-f ... 11038.html

I have a Surly CC with the above fork. If I could do it all again I may have gone for the above combination.
Oh darn! :?

I've been watching this thread and the steel performance bike thread. Idly until now, but that does look sweet. Very tempting to get that and build it up as a disc braked CX bike for commuting...and get the rear swap-out bits so I can go single speed later if I so decide.

And I've got Nobody to blame! :lol:
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Right.

So, erm, purely hypothetically you understand...would Avid BB7 Road disc brakes work with any brifter, or are the specific requirements. Hypothetically. 8)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm

BB7Rs are designed to work with standard road levers, I've used them with Sora and Tiagra brifters on me commuter, love 'em.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for that, and apologies if I led a temporary thread hi-jack.

Reman

Postby Reman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:53 am

Mulger bill wrote:BB7Rs are designed to work with standard road levers, I've used them with Sora and Tiagra brifters on me commuter, love 'em.
From my search of the intarwebs they work fine with Campy brifters too, I believe all road levers use the same pull ratio so SRAMs should be good as well.

Edit: if you are interested in hydro though, you can get adapers. If you do a search for the Kinesis Pro6 and find the road.cc review the bike they supplied had an adapter on it, the TRP Parabox. Only problem they are $400 a pop :shock: may be some cheaper ones out there though. This thread may have some ideas http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=31034.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Reman wrote: From my search of the intarwebs they [i.e., BB7R's] work fine with Campy brifters too, I believe all road levers use the same pull ratio so SRAMs should be good as well.
Remaining purely hypothetical, how would one get the BB7R's working with Campy?

Is anybody making a disc-ready road wheel?

If I go the make-your-own wheel route, and I want to stay with Campy - because hypothetically I do, erm, might - can I mount a Campy freehub on a Shimano wheel? Or do I - hypothetically - run a Shimpagnolo setup?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:19 pm

JustJames wrote:Is anybody making a disc-ready road wheel?
Handspun do a Pavement Series. Some are disc. My wheels are Handspun. As the name suggests, Handspun are hand built wheels. AEBike have them.
http://www.handspunwheels.com/
http://www.aebike.com/Pavement-Series_c_14270.html
http://www.aebike.com/Pavement-Series_c_14271.html

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:25 pm

What is a "disc ready road wheel"?

A MTB hub laced to a road rim?

Plenty of people doing that if you ask them to.

Otherwise... as light and narrow as you can get a 29er MTB wheelset would do the job.

Manufacturers seem to be standardizing on 135mm rear dropout spacing for all disc wheels... MTB or CX or road. So a light MTB hub is a disc road hub.

tim

Reman

Postby Reman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:44 pm

barefoot wrote:What is a "disc ready road wheel"?

Whilst factually correct, the poster asked about Campy not Shimano or SRAM.

You will find zero disc wheelsets with a Campy freehub. Z - E - R - O.

You will have to build them yourself or get someone elso to. Fact is, there are pretty much zero 135mm disc rear hubs with a Campy freehub as an option.

I found two solutions, one expensive, one cheaper. There may be others.

1. DT Swiss 240s or 350 with Campy freehub conversion kit. 240s is expensive. The 350 I couldn't find a QR 135mm rear hub that also wasn't stupidly expensive, but I did find a 142mm through bolt and a 142 to 135 QR conversion kit. Still not very cheap.

2. Bikehubstore, they have Campy freehubs and will put one on a 135mm disc hub for a reasonable fee.

Other theoretical options, ask a wheelbuilder, like Greg from TWE, and they may be able to chuck a Campy freehub on. Or go for the wheel builder sites and see if they can do a special order.

That's my experience so far and the best solution I've found.

Last option, wait until Campy gets back into MTBing, I just wouldn't hold my breath.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Reman wrote:

Which was kind of my point.

Disc brakes are MTB parts, or very close spin-offs of MTB parts.

Campy doesn't do MTB parts.

Case... pretty much closed. Unless you really work hard for it.

tim

rjk

Postby rjk » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:26 am

barefoot wrote:
Reman wrote:

Which was kind of my point.

Disc brakes are MTB parts, or very close spin-offs of MTB parts.

Campy doesn't do MTB parts.

Case... pretty much closed. Unless you really work hard for it.

tim

I have a set of these on my boardman cx pro disc, absolutely love them, they are a 29'er and feel as light as my shimano rs80's on my road bike

They accelerate like crazy, and are strong enough for a clydesdale, 32h and novatec d811/812 hubs are what i specified for use wit 32mm tyres and up.

You can chat to them and specify any rim width and depth you require, they build them up to your spec, so be prepared to wait upt o 20days for delivery

Disclaimer, i have no association with this company at all, just one very happy customer

Mine were approx $600 landed, mine are naked, wish i had specified some decals to put on them :)

Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane