Potenza Rapido

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Potenza Rapido

Postby leximack » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:59 pm

i was in at Parramatta Bike Barn dropping in the bike for a service and asked about new bike. they had the Potenza Rapido at a good price, $2200 with crappy wheels or $2400 with Mavic Aksium, weight is approx 8kg. Does anyone no anything about this brand or this bike in particular, i havent heard anything about them before, specs wise its great and it looks heaps nicer in real life than the photo.
I am looking at changing the OCR in the near future.
What do you think?
Don
leximack

by BNA » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:54 pm

BNA

Postby challs » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:54 pm

I've never heard of the brand before, but at that price, with a full ultegra sl groupset, it looks pretty good!!

The frame could have been made from a mold bought from a larger company when they upgraded to their newer model frames, hence the good price...
challs

Postby leximack » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:05 pm

yes, it is excellent value, full carbon frame, carbon seat post and carbon bars, the frame is very nicely finished too, looks very nice indeed, i nearly put a deposit on the spot for the ultimate in impulse buying, but then i thougth i better do some reseacrh first and see what else is out there, plus the wife would of absolutely killed me :lol:

Don
leximack

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:13 pm

If I were into that sort of bike, I'd get it myself. If the frame turns out to be junk (doubtful) then you're left with a complete set of donor parts to put on a dream frame.

Of course, the bike has to fit you nicely, but assuming that it rides the way you want, go for it.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby vitualis » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:40 pm

I would check, but the seatpost and handlebars would probably be "carbon wrapped" as opposed to full carbon at this price.

It's hard to tell on that little picture but the frame does have a passing resemblance to the "Classic" Cell Victor. Certainly, the geometry looks very similar. The frame used on the Cell Victor is used in other brands as well (e.g., Velocita).

Regards.
Michael Tam
Photos: Michael's bicycle obsession
2009 Pegoretti Responsorium Ciavete Custom :: 1982/3 Colnago Super :: 2006 Cannondale Six13 Pro :: Late 1980s Repco Superlite
vitualis

Postby leximack » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:18 pm

vitualis wrote:I would check, but the seatpost and handlebars would probably be "carbon wrapped" as opposed to full carbon at this price.

It's hard to tell on that little picture but the frame does have a passing resemblance to the "Classic" Cell Victor. Certainly, the geometry looks very similar. The frame used on the Cell Victor is used in other brands as well (e.g., Velocita).

Regards.

where the seatpost goes into the frame there is apparantly a metal insert for the seat post to go into for extra strength, not really fussed if there carbon wrapped or not though.
It seems to be better value than the cell victor as for the same price you get ultegra sl rather than normal ultegra, small difference but still a difference. The frame is very well finished and looks very classy.
"cell victor is $2299 + $100 extra for aksium wheels"
This price was without any haggling so there is maybe some room to move.
leximack

Postby leximack » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:42 pm

i probably should add that i weigh 65kgs and have next to no power, more of a high spinner to get speed, so probably would have trouble breaking a kmart frame.

Don
leximack

Postby Blybo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am

Check out Azzurri (sp?) bikes as well. It's another emerging brand that also probably just brands a mass produced frame, as Cell bike do from all reports. Wouldn't be surprised to see something very similar in their catalogue as well. Azzurri tend to be sold by smaller bike stores that can't get a dealership on big name brands.
The older I get, the better I was...
Blybo

Postby Addict » Sat May 17, 2008 6:36 pm

hi all
stuck with a similar dilemma. the potenza is looking really good value for money.

anyone know if the carbon fibre make is any good?bike ride well?
Cheers
Addict

Postby leximack » Sat May 17, 2008 10:58 pm

i ended up buying a TCR alliance 1 instead, full ultegra running gear, mavic aksium wheels for cheaper than the potenza, it is not full carbon frame though, has carbon/alloy blend of 50% each. The Potenza looked nice but could not get any feedback on the quality of the frame, so got a proven bike with lifetime frame warranty, happy so far.

Don
leximack

Postby Addict » Sun May 18, 2008 6:34 pm

^^ sounds like a good deal . Do u mind if i ask where?
Addict

Postby leximack » Sun May 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Addict wrote:^^ sounds like a good deal . Do u mind if i ask where?

Bike Shop of Castle Hill
Unit 3
19 Victoria Ave, Castle Hill, NSW 2154
(02) 9894 2533

But any Giant dealer will sell one to you, RRP is $2399, haggle and pay cash and you will get a considerable amount off that.
leximack

Return to Buying a bike / parts