New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Baalzamon

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Luxos 179 U in daytime running mode. Photo courtesy of Phil who shot it whilst we were doing the Carinyah Trail
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:55 am

warthog1 wrote:Well we've just about come out the other end of what has been a cold, wet and dark winter in Vic.
The luxos u and scula plus have been fantastic :D . I am well and truly sold on dyno lights for my commuting needs now. It is fantastic to have good reliable lights that always work and can always be used on full power without worrying about run time. IMO they are an essential bit of kit for any dedicated commuter I would not dream of being without them on my commute now, lights are always on. I reckon I get improved behaviour from motorists, in the form of less close passes now, as an added bonus also :)
Thanks people for educating me :oops: :oops: :)
Bugger.
Very wet commute yesterday morning and still a bit of moisture around on the way home. I used the luxos u in the steady rain on the way in for increased visibility but had it off going home.
When I got home after work I promptly parked the bike upside down to wipe and relube the chain after it's drenching. That done I hang the bike riught way up by the top tube on its' rack. This morning I noticed on my way in to work the light randomly turned itself on and was in a bit of a haywire flash pattern, alternating bright and dim. ?standlight and main beam alternating. It was difficult to get the bugger to turn off but it did eventually after multiple attempts.
Later on in the commute I thought I'd give it another go and turned it on manually. Same result, haywire flash pattern and couldn't turn it off until I stopped at work. I'm guessing it has ingested some water, possibly when I unthinkingly inverted it to do the chain. :(
I'll give it a rest to dry out and hopefully it may function normally again. It has been a ripper product until now.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Common advice for mobile phones that have had a dunking seems to be plonk it within a bag of uncooked rice.
Apparently the rice is a good method to have the moisture absorbed.
Unfortunately there was no mention I can remember of how long to do it.
I'd assume a few days but its only an assumption.
Good luck with it
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks mate :)
I don't need to use it much this time of year. I'm probably too lazy :oops: to remove it, so I'll just refrain from using it for a few weeks.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:Thanks mate :)
I don't need to use it much this time of year. I'm probably too lazy :oops: to remove it, so I'll just refrain from using it for a few weeks.
If its any consolation, others have had similar issues with headlights, only for them to come right once they'd had a chance to drain/dry.
Westcoastpetes Edelux stopped working after condensating up after heavy rain.
I seem to remember it was working after a day or three :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Sounds promising. Thanks :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:50 pm

I got water into my light one ride, it played up a bit later on then quit. Few days later all was OK with it. Hasn't played up since

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Luxos U is working fine for future reference. Must've got water in when I inverted the wet bike to do the chain.
It has since dried out and works fine. :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Now I've got an intermittent issue with my rear light.....
Toplight braketec rear light. There is an issue with older lights running with the B & M 179U light. Time to upgrade my rear light to the newer one....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Now I've got an intermittent issue with my rear light.....
Toplight braketec rear light. There is an issue with older lights running with the B & M 179U light. Time to upgrade my rear light to the newer one....
Herrmans H-Track is a VERY bright dynamo tail-light; brighter than the Top-light Plus I reckon.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."