New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

warthog1

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Got my lights from Bike24 today :) Less than 2 weeks delivery 8)

To mount the front light am I just replacing the castellated spacer on the front brake with the B&M mount?

Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Had a look at this page.
Looks like a bit of mucking around with spacers and washers to see what works.
Still waiting for the hub nuts which are on their way from moruya bicycles. None of the lbs's or bolt supplies had them.

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:31 pm

On my old setup, I had 105 5600 brakes and the IQ Cyo. I just bought a longer recessed nut and sat the mount between the brake spacer and the fork. Depending on your headset you might need to space it out from the fork as well.

Brendan

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Despite what Peter White says, this sort of mount should work very well for you:

The narrower plate steel should cup around your brake nut in a better manner. I have a similar but slightly shorter one like this holding the heavier Supernova E3 on my road bike (old-school SunTour Superbe side-pulls). It has been in use on a good deal of rides and the HP tyred roadie gives a much harsher ride. No signs of any failure.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:53 pm

il padrone wrote:Despite what Peter White says, this sort of mount should work very well for you:

The narrower plate steel should cup around your brake nut in a better manner. I have a similar but slightly shorter one like this holding the heavier Supernova E3 on my road bike (old-school SunTour Superbe side-pulls). It has been in use on a good deal of rides and the HP tyred roadie gives a much harsher ride. No signs of any failure.
I'm hoping to get away with the supplied mount, but running 25c tyres at 90-100 psi it is a bit rough. I had a bit of trouble with the original supplied mount for my Philips saferide 80 for that reason. I have a roughish descent on the commute and the light kept vibrating down out of adjustment.
If the supplied mount proves too flexy I'll give that one a go.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:55 pm

DJIntegr8 wrote:On my old setup, I had 105 5600 brakes and the IQ Cyo. I just bought a longer recessed nut and sat the mount between the brake spacer and the fork. Depending on your headset you might need to space it out from the fork as well.

Brendan
Thanks. It looks like I should be able to make it work with a combination of spacers and washers.

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri May 23, 2014 2:28 pm

warthog1 wrote:Got my lights from Bike24 today :) Less than 2 weeks delivery 8)
Have an order in with them at the moment, my first one from them. Apart from an email saying my order had been receipted, and seeing my CC debited, I've not had any other correspondence from them i.e. order picked, order shipped, tracking #...

What correspondence did you get from them?

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:47 pm

You should get a order confirmation, then order sent confirmation, then tracking number within 72 hours if the parts are in stock. Shipping was about 7 days from receiving the number.

Brendan

EDIT: Oops, I ordered from Starbike this time - I think they use DHL.de as well.

EDIT 2: Last Bike24 order took around 5 days to get shipping confirmation after order confirmation.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:12 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote: What correspondence did you get from them?
I got this upon ordering;
Many thanks for your order. We confirm the receipt of your order with this e-mail.

And then 5 days later;
the items you ordered have been dispatched from Bike24 today.

The shipment is delivered to the following address:

The second email had a tracking number and the parcel got to me in a week from shipment which is quicker than in the past.

Blame tapatalk

geoff_tewierik

Postby geoff_tewierik » Fri May 23, 2014 8:41 pm

OK, been 7 days since the order was placed and cash taken. Will give it a couple days more then send an email.

*Edit - lol just got an email from them saying it had shipped. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Good news Geoff :)
I just got an email that my wheel and derailleur are on their way too :)

Blame tapatalk

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:38 pm

geoff_tewierik wrote:OK, been 7 days since the order was placed and cash taken. Will give it a couple days more then send an email.

*Edit - lol just got an email from them saying it had shipped. :)
Bike24 is very responsive to emails. You can add to your order with just an email mentioning order number any time up yill you get the shipped email in my experience.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:58 pm

Apologies for the dodgy iphone photos.

Got the lights installed today

Clearance at the front brake is a bit tight and I had to loosely cable tie the gear and brake cables together to keep them off the sides of the light. On my light the remote handlebar switch is hard wired in. I've read on here water can run down the cable and berk the light on the older models, so I made sure there is a downward loop anyway.
I cut the cables for both lights with a bit of excess length and I've looped the excess up with a cable tie attached to the light bracket both sides.

I dont know if it matters which way the terminal is orientated on the hub? Mine is upright and in front of the fork leg.
There was some sort of white goop in the terminal cover where I pushed the wires through. Is that to aid in keeping water out and/or stop corrosion?

The rear light went on OK and worked straight off which kind of surprised me. The terminals on the rear light are not marked for polarity so I guess it doesn't matter?
I ran the wire up the drive side chain stay and along the under side of the top tube. Gave it a good bit of slack to allow for steering.
Must get to spec savers for another eye check one day, my close up vision is on the way out.

It's a bit hard to see here due to the light sorry. The remote handlebar switch I've mounted to the L hand side of the h/bar stem. Is that an ok place for it, or does it need to be moved somehow to limit water exposure?
I don't have too many more places to put it and the bike will be ridden in the rain.

Should be no problems seeing the road :) I'll give a bit of feedback with regards to beam pattern etc, compared to the saferide 80, once I've ridden it a few times and its all adjusted correctly.

3 lights on the rear now. Dynamo driven, usb rechargeable and AAA battery driven. Should be pretty visible :)

I've got no experience with dynamo hubs and lights at all so thanks everyone for the information and collective experience :D
Does that look rough enough what I've done or have I stuffed it up along the way? I hope its a goer anyway.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Move the dynamo hub terminal to the 9 o'clock position, a bit more out of harms way.
Ouchie, watch out for those zip ties :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Crawf wrote:Move the dynamo hub terminal to the 9 o'clock position, a bit more out of harms way.
Ouchie, watch out for those zip ties :)

No worries thanks :)

I had to use zip ties that are too short, so joined two together. I might have to watch the knees, until I get some more.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I don't appear to be able to turn the secula plus standlight function off when I shut the luxos u off. I'm guessing the secula is just running on under it's own capacitor power?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 28, 2014 6:13 pm

I know nothing about dynamo lights so will restrict my comments about your pictures to the following. You have more wiring on your bike than the Telstra copper network. You seem to own quite a few wheels. :lol: :lol: :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 pm

:lol:
It's working better than Telstra network too.
There are a few broken wheels there that need to be chucked. I keep them in the hope I'll become a wheel builder one day. I should chuck them.

Blame tapatalk

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu May 29, 2014 11:13 am

If you are not to anal about that frame, you could with a dab of super glue here and there along the length of wire, discard the zip ties and glue the wire to the frame :shock:
Some may scoff, but has worked well for me and is almost invisible if positioned correctly.
I have also used clear silicone to run the cable wire up the inside of the fork leg.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am

Good tip thanks. :)
I am not to anal about the frame. I like it and it rides well, but it is a work horse and I got it for a great price.
I had a look at moving the terminals like you suggested but if I do that they will be in behind the mudguard mount. I could try it at about 6-7 o'clock.
Does your rear light keep glowing when you are stopped and switch the front light off?

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

My Toplight Line Plus keeps running if the front light is turned off, but there is a red button to drain the capacitor.

Brendan

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks Brendan, it must be just draining the capacitor. My Secula plus doesn't appear to have any switch. Must just run when it is supplied power and keeps going until it has drained the capacitor. It's nice and bright when running under dynamo power and this drops down when it is on standlight.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu May 29, 2014 3:38 pm

I have my connectors orientated at the bottom and with wire going down before going back up. Rain will take the lowest path. 5-7 o'clock is a good spot.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu May 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Oh yes the cable ties around the frame. I got it simple. I've got hydraulic rim brakes on one bike and simply zip tie to that. On the other, small spiral wrap around my rear brake cable on the top tube (cx bike)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I have my connectors orientated at the bottom and with wire going down before going back up. Rain will take the lowest path. 5-7 o'clock is a good spot.
No worries thanks :)
I'll swap it around tomorrow.
Rode it in tonight with the light on and didn't notice any drag. Average speed was around what it normally is. It wasn't very dark when I got to work, it was dusk. Feedback on the beam will have to wait until day shift when it's dark both ways.

Blame tapatalk