New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

warthog1

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby warthog1 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Any chance of some photos of your set ups Baal? Good to see how it looks for ideas.

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Dark this morning and dark tonight.
The light has a bluer hue to it than the the saferide. The beam shape is a bit different with a more sharply delineated horizontal cut off at the top of the beam. There is a brighter wedge of light in the middle and toward the front of the projection on the ground. It was wet this morning and I rode through some fog at the top of one tree hill. The brighter part of the light could be seen as a narrow spreading triangle through the fog.
The light gets washed out a bit by streetlights and oncoming cars. Where there is no traffic or streetlights it is quite adequate.
TBH though I am surprised by just how much better the saferide is on high. The saferide has a broader beam pattern without any hot spots and just puts out considerably more light. I was a bit surprised at the difference given the saferide is 80 lux and the luxos u is 70/90 lux. Even on the 90 setting it doesn't come close. If I put the saferide on high at the same time it's more yellow light just appeared to wash the luxos u away.
I would rate the luxos as somewhere between the saferide on low and high and probably a bit closer to low, this is OK though as I ended up riding on low with the saferide most of the time, given its limited run time on high. So most of the time I have a more light now.
I'll keep the saferide on there and use it on high for the fast roo riddled downhill bits of the commute.

The secula plus on the back is fantastic. I appear to be getting a wider berth in general with this running and it puts out a nice red glow. Where I have it placed on the drive side seat stay it has the added benefit of letting me see which gear I'm in as it shines a glow on the cassette. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Been sh1tty weather here lately so the luxos has had a good test in the rain. No problems whatsoever :)
The handlebar switch of the u is sup[er handy and having used it I wouldn't consider the b with it's absence of one.
I've found the luxos will stay on the 90 lux setting for the entire commute if I'm not stopped at the lights or miss them. Not sure if that's usual, but the elcheapo shimano dynohub obviously has the goods.
It's a great security having a dyno light front and rear that is always on and has no need for monitoring charge. Highly recommended for commuting :!:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:31 pm

warthog1 wrote:Dark this morning and dark tonight.
The light has a bluer hue to it than the the saferide. The beam shape is a bit different with a more sharply delineated horizontal cut off at the top of the beam. There is a brighter wedge of light in the middle and toward the front of the projection on the ground. It was wet this morning and I rode through some fog at the top of one tree hill. The brighter part of the light could be seen as a narrow spreading triangle through the fog.
The light gets washed out a bit by streetlights and oncoming cars. Where there is no traffic or streetlights it is quite adequate.
TBH though I am surprised by just how much better the saferide is on high. The saferide has a broader beam pattern without any hot spots and just puts out considerably more light. I was a bit surprised at the difference given the saferide is 80 lux and the luxos u is 70/90 lux. Even on the 90 setting it doesn't come close. If I put the saferide on high at the same time it's more yellow light just appeared to wash the luxos u away.
I would rate the luxos as somewhere between the saferide on low and high and probably a bit closer to low, this is OK though as I ended up riding on low with the saferide most of the time, given its limited run time on high. So most of the time I have a more light now.
I'll keep the saferide on there and use it on high for the fast roo riddled downhill bits of the commute.

The secula plus on the back is fantastic. I appear to be getting a wider berth in general with this running and it puts out a nice red glow. Where I have it placed on the drive side seat stay it has the added benefit of letting me see which gear I'm in as it shines a glow on the cassette. :)
Does the beam shape of the Luxos U vary with bike speed (i.e. a longer throw when cycling faster)?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:43 pm

In layman's terms...
At lower crawling speeds the light throws more to the near field.
When you pick up speed it will engage more into the distance.
When you switch on flood mode even more will be thrown into the distance.

warthog1

New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Tbh I don't notice any change at low speed. How slow do you have to be going?

Biker I don't really notice the beam vary with speed but I don't get below 15 ish kph. The flood setting does make the light a bit brighter and throw further.

Blame tapatalk

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:16 am

My masi is off the road for the moment. Needs new brake pads and I'm going to replace all the cables as well. When that done I'll post up some photos of the install.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:53 pm

CX bike so I have the brake & gear cables on top of the top tube. The wire then heads and is zip tied to my rear rack and then to the light
To the front it runs under a Relevate Gas Tank bag and to the front light.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Nice neat solution with the spiral wrap. I like it. :)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 am

Silly question, I need some more 2 core wire, anyone know if this would suit, i'm an electrical spaz.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am

Crawf wrote:Silly question, I need some more 2 core wire, anyone know if this would suit, i'm an electrical spaz.
what the hell are you powering? 15amp!

If this is for a taillight, walk into jaycar and get the lightest gauge speaker / twin core cable they have. Take your existing cable to match.

eg
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to be fancy, try to find some 'mic' wire / miniature coax, it's easier to run internally.

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bul ... miniature/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://store.oceanaircycles.com/product ... hting-wire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:02 am

Maybe you missed the bit were I said I'm an electrical spaz, I throw my hands up, I just solder wires together and hope they work :) I just don't want it to melt or anything.
Hub is 2.4w/6v, EYC up front and Secula on the rear.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm

very simplistic:
P = VI , watts = volts x amps

At a nominal 6v / 2.4W: 2.4 = 6xI, I = 2.4/6 = 0.4A.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Well we've just about come out the other end of what has been a cold, wet and dark winter in Vic.
The luxos u and scula plus have been fantastic :D . I am well and truly sold on dyno lights for my commuting needs now. It is fantastic to have good reliable lights that always work and can always be used on full power without worrying about run time. IMO they are an essential bit of kit for any dedicated commuter I would not dream of being without them on my commute now, lights are always on. I reckon I get improved behaviour from motorists, in the form of less close passes now, as an added bonus also :)
Thanks people for educating me :oops: :oops: :)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am

I've also been giving my IQ Cyo Premium T and Hermanns H-Track combo a good run in over the last couple of months in Tas and I can highly recommend them both. Originally I started with a B+M Viewplus on the rear, but the standlight function died after a week of use so I switched to the Hermanns. The Cyo, whilst not super bright, throws an excellently shaped beam with plenty of peripheral lighting, and a bright patch in the mid to distant range directly ahead. I'm confident relying on it solely, descending at 60kph on unlit roads. The beam does have some artefacts, mainly because of the daytime LEDs below the main beam, but they are not distracting as they are in the very near field section of the beam. The Hermanns is also excellent, similar to the now discontinued Phillips Lumiring but with a bright central top LED and a massive central reflector. Folks I work with pass me on the commute into town and they have commented on its daytime visibility. The only slight downside is the standlight function is not timed, so it continues to run for a loooooong time after a decent ride. The first few weeks had most of the office knocking on my door telling me I'd left my lights on, but I think they've got the idea now!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I have now installed a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Premium mounted on a Bacchetta One Arm Bandit on the front of my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT and on the rear I have taken the Busch & Muller Toplight Line Plus from my Surly Long Haul Trucker and fitted it to the bike. All up pretty happy with the setup.

Andrew
Andrew

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Andrew, is the 'Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Premium' now considered the top of the line model, how does it rate compared to the U?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Crawf wrote:Andrew, is the 'Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Premium' now considered the top of the line model, how does it rate compared to the U?
I wouldn't think so. I went with the Premium in this case as I wanted an e-bike light, i.e., one rated to 42 volt. The Premium has a different light bean from the Luxos range.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:36 pm

The new IQ Cyo Premium has a rating of 80 lux - the same light output as the Luxos, just that it is a different beam shape and not as wide as the Luxos U.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 pm

It is my understanding the luxos b is 70 lux and the luxos u is 70/90 lux. This would make the cyo premium the brighter light as the 90 lux setting on the u is only a limited duration setting, on mine it does last a good while however.
The cyo is no good for me if the beam is narrower though. I'm happy with my luxos u as I need to see those roos off to the sides.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:57 am

Dunno about the width of the Luxos but I can tell you that the Cyo is plenty wide. We have these small rather round shaped wallabies in Tassie called Paddymelons, which have the nasty habit of barrelling out at you from the verge. The Cyo picks them up very nicely.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:17 am

Ah yes. You are correct warthog.

I have found, when riding with my wife who has the older model Cyo, that the Cyo does seem slightly brighter than my Luxos, but only in the very concentrated beam ahead. The Luxos most definitely has a much wider beam. The Cyo illuminates a bike-path width, whereas the Luxos illuminates 1-2 lane widths on the road ahead.
Mandatory helmet law?

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 am

The newer Cyo Premium is what I have, and it's definitely wider than bike path width. It has a brighter 'window' in the beam directly ahead which is probably about bike path width, but the remainder of the beam, whilst not as bright easily spreads over two full car lane widths. Peter White seems to think it's pretty close in width to a Luxos beam. I can't find any decent beamshots on the web, so I'll endeavour to get some at some point.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Luxos U, if you ride in the middle of the road you will have the entire width of the road lighted up.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Yes I was being a bit conservative in that width estimate. It is at least 3-4 times the width of the Cyo.
Mandatory helmet law?