Chain selection ladies 27 inch step through

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Chain selection ladies 27 inch step through

Postby dan68 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all,
I have a old ladies step through bike which has a shimano skylark rear derailleur it has 27 inch tyres.. Its only a basic bike i am just restoring for the fun of it. When i got it, it didnt have a chain and im not sure what to buy. Its has 2 front sprockets and 5 rear. The front sprockets are 2.3 mm thick and the pitch is around 13 mm. There is so many different chains to buy and im not confident in what it should be i think it should be 3/32 chain x 1/2. Just reading a few articles and if its too thin it will fall between the sprockets and to wide it will rub on adjacent sprockets. thanks for the help in advance
dan68

by BNA » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm

BNA

Re: Chain selection ladies 27 inch step through

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 pm

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html#chain

Normally a 5/6/7 speed chain shoul be sold as the same, they are 3/32 inner width. 1/2in pitch is the standard for all modern bike chains
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 am

Get the best chain you can buy from Kmart. Seriously. At least my local has only two choices, 3/32 derailler chain and 1/8 BMX chain. What is written on the packaging does vary but you can see the difference easily.
Some of the derailler chains also come with a KMC style joining link which will save you having to use a tool to assemble it onto the bike although you may need to shorten it. Sheldon has a good description for ensuring the length is right.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby dan68 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:13 pm

thanks for the help. looks like il just get the 3/32 and 1/2.
thanks again
dan68

Return to Buying a bike / parts