Are these bike racks safe?

HelmutHerr

Are these bike racks safe?

Postby HelmutHerr » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 am

Strap-on 3-bike car rack from Anaconda.

Anyone using? I doubt they'd be on the market if they were that bad, but it just doesn't look stable.

Red Rider

Re: Are these bike racks safe?

Postby Red Rider » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:07 am

I've seen plenty of them being used, so I assume so.

I have similar rack to that made by Thule, it can support my 72kg body weight, that's when I stopped worrying about it.

HelmutHerr

Postby HelmutHerr » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am

Cheers.

It seems like a great option for cars without a tow ball, but I also don't want to send three bikes flying when I take a corner!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:05 pm

They're fine. I had one until another car forcibly remodelled it and the bike on it...

One thing to watch out for though. There's a bolt that holds on the rubber/plastic cups that the bike sits in. One end of the bolt is smooth and round and should be facing outwards, and the other end that has the nut on it should be facing the centre. Otherwise it will chew all hell out of your frame. I noticed scratches appearing on the inside of the seat tube and near the top of the down tube on an alloy frame and took a bit to work it out - was very annoyed once I found the culprit.

Pretty minor point (and it's to do with the assembly of the unit). Other than that I'd have no trouble with using one of them again...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm

No problems so far hanging off a Commo wagon with 2 MTBS on board.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011