purchasing second hand carbon road bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

purchasing second hand carbon road bike

Postby mal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi all
I have the opprortunity to purchase a 2011 Cannondale Synapse Rival 4. The frame is 2012 replaced under warranty. The bike is my size and it appears in vgc. The asking price is $2000.(apparently they are $3500 new?) Is this a reasonable price? The reason I am considering it is that appears to have a more relaxed geometry and Im 50 years young. I want to upgrade from my alloy and go just a little faster and ride longer without compromising my joints as much. I have riden it and its very responsive and enjoyable to ride.
Any advice /suggestions welcome.
Cheers
Mal.
mal

by BNA » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 pm

BNA

Re: purchasing second hand carbon road bike

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm not pro 'dale so apologies if this seems negative.

It is probably a good price for the bike but why was the frame replaced? Warranty? What happened? This may be an indication of a flaw in their design or manufacture that may reappear on this frame. If so, warranties are usually with the original owner so you wouldn't be covered.

I've managed to use as full carbon bike for the last 5 years without it needing the frame replaced under warranty. I'd ask more questions on the brand quality. It's not the first I've seen where someone is selling a new frame replaced under warranty so I'd be wary.
moosterbounce

Re: purchasing second hand carbon road bike

Postby Howzat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 am

For $2K upgrading from an aluminium bike - personally I'd go new. Plenty of choice at that price level, perhaps even bargains on bikes with last season's paint, and you will get a warranty.
Howzat

Return to Buying a bike / parts