headtube on trek frame

emza0114

headtube on trek frame

Postby emza0114 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand trek 1.9 frame. And I just noticed that inside the headtube is not smooth. This appears to be where the down tube has been welded to the headtube should I worry about this? is there a way to fix it? I also wanted to get some advice on how I can tell what size fork is suitable I have measured the internal diameter of the head tube to be approximately 36-37mm...

thanks

Mark

arand18

Re: headtube on trek frame

Postby arand18 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 am

Hi the roughness you shouldnt need to worry about unless it's incredible rough, as for the fork size it should say on the fork itself.

emza0114

Postby emza0114 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:48 am

Hi thanks for that,

just to confirm by rough I mean there are about three lumps maybe 1-2mm in height
Im guessing this shouldn't be a concern because the steerer tube doesnt come that close to the frame, is that correct?

in regards to the fork size I should of said that it doesnt come with a fork so ive only got the diameter of the headtube to go by.

I also have a third question. I have also noticed that there is a tiny amount of bobbling in the paint where the top-tube meets the head-tube should I be concerned that this will compromise the structural integrity? (The frame is an aluminium frame about 4yrs old)

thanks

Mark

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:42 am

Any 1 1/8th road fork will fit, make sure you find the right headset for it.

No idea about the paint thing, gotta pic?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011