Yet Another Wheel Thread

paulz

Yet Another Wheel Thread

Postby paulz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Sorry for starting another wheel thread, but does anyone have any experience with Rolf Prima Elan clincher wheelset? Trying to decide between the Rolf Prima's and the Fulcrum Racing Zero. The Rolf Prima's hubs are made by White Industries, the Fulcrums have Ceramic bearings. There is about 100gm difference in weight between the two sets so not much weight saving.

My details - 85kg, combination of flat and hilly riding, no racing, just another weekend warrior.

Thanks.

jacks1071

Re: Yet Another Wheel Thread

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:15 pm

I had a set of Rolf Vector's years ago, similar design. They were strong wheels and had a low spoke count, fairly deep rim which was good for aero combined with the lack of spokes. The rim was VERY HEAVY though to compensate for the lack of spokes and the freehub was made of plastic - other than this they are good wheels.

The newer model looks very light. I think durability would be a concern given that they are so light and the spoke count is low - I think the Fulcrum's would be a much safer bet for you if they are the only two you are picking from.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

I had a set of Rolf Vectors they were nothing but trouble. Broken spokes,noisey,creaks,always go out of true,in the end the rims cracked.I weigh between 80~85 depending on how much ice cream I eat :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

paulz

Postby paulz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far Jacks & MartyMoose. What year of manufacture were the Vectors?

I am leaning towards the Fulcrum Zeros at this stage. Most reviews are very positive.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I had a set of Rolf Vectors they were nothing but trouble. Broken spokes,noisey,creaks,always go out of true,in the end the rims cracked.I weigh between 80~85 depending on how much ice cream I eat :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Mine were reliable, never touched them other than to repalce the plastic freehub once as it mashed up pretty bad. I don't know if they still use plastic freehubs but I wouldn't think so?

I'm lighter than you at 68kg. Mine would have been early 2000's model, it was a while ago. The rear died in a crash and the front went on ebay..
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

paulz

Postby paulz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm

According to their website, the Elan Clincher has a CNC-machined titanium freehub.