eBay Bike Buying SCAM, PayPal not helpful either...

fxcat

Re: eBay Bike Buying SCAM, PayPal not helpful either...

Postby fxcat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

MichaelB: Of coz there are more important things, that's why I wasn't planning on taking the matter further, and I know how much a DA cassette and ***SPECIALIZED*** carbon bars cost, that's the exact amount I've been ripped off, if I had got what I bidded for, then end of story, I've got a good deal... I think people here have a tendency to feel that second hand parts are more valuable than they actually are... if you are paying more than 60% of the actual RRP price in a bike shop brand, then you're paying too much, and in about 2 years, the bike and/or parts is worth only 50% of this 60%, after that the technology gets replaced and it's practically not worth anything... you'll be surprised how much margin they make on things that is bike related as there's not much competition compared to things like computers and appliances etc.

Sydguy: Definately the seller should be responsible, if he wants the item back, he will have to pay you the postage upfront, or more, he can't expect you to waste time to cover his mistakes!

rkelsen: Thanks for the clarifications, there have already been precedents in court cases where the buyer have won on court cases for damages and/or for non-delivery when an auction was completed, most notibly this case (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/08/ ... 21130.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) But I'm just here to warn others, and I don't want to be a dick for sueing him for a couple of hundreds dollars, which in contrast to what some people think on this forum, I'm more than entitled to as it's a clear breach of contract where the sales description is written in black and white

Howzat: EXACTLY!

JustJames: Thanks for your contributions, I bet you must be very successful in your life, but I don't know why I have to keep repeating myself that the "time" when I actually inspected the bike have nothing to do with the matter, the seller misrepresented what he is selling, but later indirectly admitted that he had supplied something else, by his lack of surprise and trying to convince me 105 is better than DA, is very strong evidence to show that he had an intention to "defraud" which falls under "criminal law", what he is selling is written in black and white, it falls under "contract law" which is "civil"...

1) Do you have the right to judge whether I got a good deal or not? Who's got the right to judge? This was an public open auction, why didn't every else bidded higher if they thought it was a good deal if the item was as described? How much would the other bidders bid, if they knew what they're actually getting?? Would you have buy the bike off me right now since you think that it was such a good deal?

2) Does it matter when I inspect? If the seller didn't want to sell for that price anyway and he's looking for a way to back out of the deal? When the terms of the contract is to deliver what he "offered" to sell within a certain time frame?? If you commission someone to build your house, and they deliver something else, would you say I'm going to cop it and just live with it?

I have to point out again that my intention was to point out is that there is a loophole in the eBay and PayPal system which isn't in line with real life and of normal ethical standards, and by letting more people know, hopefully one day something will be done to fix it, and in the meantime everyone else can be more careful, so why sidetrack the discussion?

What else do you think I could possibly gain from posting here? How much is your sympathy worth to me? HEEELLLLLOOO???

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:48 am

:roll:

Walastik

Postby Walastik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

jimboss wrote::roll:
I'll call your :roll: and raise you two :roll: :roll:

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

:roll: or even :roll: :roll: just doesn't cut it.

For this you need

My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:52 pm

Another scenario is when you walk around Kings Cross at 4am on a Saturday morning with a bunch of $100 notes hanging out of your pocket. In a perfect world you will be able to walk around doing this 24/7 and have no problems at all. In the real world (where the rest of the forum appear to live) you would most likely be mugged, beaten to a pulp (possibly even killed) and your money stolen within minutes.

You went and picked up the bike at night time and didn't check it out. Naive is a nice description for this action.

Not sure the relevance to the newspaper article you linked to, it is about somebody changing their mind and not following through and paying for something they had bid on at auction. Seems to be a totally different situation than yours.

fxcat

Postby fxcat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Ross wrote: You went and picked up the bike at night time and didn't check it out. Naive is a nice description for this action.
here we go again...

Ross wrote: Not sure the relevance to the newspaper article you linked to, it is about somebody changing their mind and not following through and paying for something they had bid on at auction. Seems to be a totally different situation than yours.
the relevance of the article is to highlight the fact that an eBay auction is as good as a black and white contract in a sale...

For those that are still stiring, I DON'T care about your opinion of what you think I have done right or wrong, when and where to inspect, my purpose is NOT to gather sympathy, my purpose is NOT to give people with big ego the opportunity to show that they think they know better!

I know exactly how much I've been scammed, which is $100 for the DA Cassette and $200 for a Specialized Carbon Bar installed, if I cared about the $300, I'll be suing the guy in Small Claims right now, I've got his full name, I've got his full address, I've got the full email communications, and full details of the auction, do I have a case? Maybe I should file for a claim in the tribunal! I am just disappointed with PayPal because they're pretty useless in this scenario! What they claim they could do, I could've done by walking into my bank...

For anyone so thick enough still to continually go back to the conversation of...
1) I should've inspected more carefully on pick up (which is irrelevant to the topic which is the flaw of eBay and Paypal)
2) I've already got a great deal (who are you to judge? Are you a full time second hand bike valuator?)
Then you're either just a troll trying to stir things up or you're stupid...

cobba

Postby cobba » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm

The seller bought this bike a bit over 2 years ago for $1000 and bought a Shimano 105 CS-5600 Hyperglide 10 speed cassette for $27 a month later, I wonder if this is the cassette in question.

The seller also bought some FSA K-Force Chain Rings for $27 about a week after the cassette, I wonder if those are on the bike too.
Last edited by cobba on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 pm

:shock:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 pm

fxcat wrote:I don't want to be a dick for sueing him for a couple of hundreds dollars
So: You felt that you were ripped off. You won your case through ebay/Paypal and you won't take him to small claims.

What is your point?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 pm

cobba wrote:The seller bought this bike a bit over 2 years ago for $1000 and bought a Shimano 105 CS-5600 Hyperglide 10 speed cassette for $27 a month later, I wonder if this is the cassette in question.

The seller also bought some FSA K-Force Chain Rings for $27 about a week after the cassette, I wonder if those are on the bike too.
Side track: How can you find this info on ebay? I thought they purged their data after a few months?

boss

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

rkelsen wrote:
cobba wrote:The seller bought this bike a bit over 2 years ago for $1000 and bought a Shimano 105 CS-5600 Hyperglide 10 speed cassette for $27 a month later, I wonder if this is the cassette in question.

Side track: How can you find this info on ebay? I thought they purged their data after a few months?
I don't know how he found prices but if you look at 'Feedback left as a buyer' you can see the items bought + item #'s. This obviously relies on the fact this seller religiously leaves feedback.

cobba

Postby cobba » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Look at the buyers feedback, when you find the item you click on the name of the seller and then go to their feedback, when you find the feedback left by the buyer it usually has the cost of the item.

You have to look in 'Feedback as a Seller' or 'All Feedback'.
Last edited by cobba on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for the tip! Found it. :) Something good finally came out of this thread. :lol:

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 pm

fxcat wrote:
here we go again...

My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Oxford wrote:waiting for the triple facepalm now.
The way this thread has gone, pretty much from the off, I suspect that there aren't sufficient facepalms in all the interwebz to cope.

I wait and watch with interest, nay, fascination!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 pm

Ask, and ye shall receive :D

Sorry fxcat, but you need to let go.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 pm

fxcat wrote:
For anyone so thick enough still to continually go back to the conversation of...
1) I should've inspected more carefully on pick up (which is irrelevant to the topic which is the flaw of eBay and Paypal)
2) I've already got a great deal (who are you to judge? Are you a full time second hand bike valuator?)
Then you're either just a troll trying to stir things up or you're stupid...
You calling us thick??? ..... o.....k......

1. Is a valid point wich keep ignoring.
2. We are actually trying to help you.. so you won't make the same mistake again.
But hey... what do i know... im just a troll.....
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

fxcat

Postby fxcat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

really??? wow.. if that's true, then there goes the argument that I've got a "massively great" deal, and that the seller "DIDN'T" know what he was selling... And the part that he's had it serviced last year with new cassettes are all lies that he's very aware of... :) Hope he scammed enough to feed his family then...

but either way it's not affecting me much, I think the seller is furious inside because I actually offered $1,000 on first inspection, and I was willing to up that to $1,100 on the spot, but he thought he could get more, although he's only had a $1,250 buy it now price, I actually bidded $1,100 on eBay but no one bidded higher than the final price, in the end I was only after a bit of honesty from the seller which is just too hard these days...

The fact that a lot of good karma have came my way lately for living as an honest guy, I am more than glad, just couple days ago I won $900 in a draw, and another $100 on Monday, so that's a free bike for me, you win some, you lose some... ;)

boss

Postby boss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Congratulations on the win. Spend it wisely this time.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:26 pm

fxcat wrote: For anyone so thick enough still to continually go back to the conversation of...
This is not a flaw of ebay and paypal. This is a flaw of the human race and buying/selling second hand. People selling want as much money as possible, people buying want to pay as little as possible. Greedy/dishonest people take advantage of the other party.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:47 pm

bychosis wrote:
fxcat wrote: For anyone so thick enough still to continually go back to the conversation of...
This is not a flaw of ebay and paypal. This is a flaw of the human race and buying/selling second hand. People selling want as much money as possible, people buying want to pay as little as possible. Greedy/dishonest people take advantage of the other party.

Which then brings us full circle back to page 1...Buyer beware!

Whew, I am glad this is finished.

cobba

Postby cobba » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:02 pm

fxcat wrote:I think the seller is furious inside because I actually offered $1,000 on first inspection, and I was willing to up that to $1,100 on the spot, but he thought he could get more, although he's only had a $1,250 buy it now price, I actually bidded $1,100 on eBay but no one bidded higher than the final price
You inspected the bike before you won the auction and picked it up in the dark ?

Was the inspection also in the dark ?

Did the seller change the handlebar and cassette between the inspection and when you picked the bike up ?

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm

fxcat seems to have gone quiet all of a sudden...

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:11 pm

And I for one miss him a lot.

Off spending his winnings on wine, women and song no doubt.

Well, a woman.

And a song.

And most likely, a whine.