Training on tubular wheels?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Training on tubular wheels?

Postby Mr_Bob » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 am

Howdy,
I'm building a cheap bike with second hand gear, the frame I bought came with Ksyrium tubular wheels.
I'm a MTB rider, but want to use this bike for training , the roads in my area aren't smooth, and they're reasonably hilly.

I'm sure they're awesome wheels, but i'm not sure if they are a great idea for me.
I would give them a go, but the rear wheel needs a new tyre so trying to decide before investing in tyres :)

Can someone help me with pros/cons?
Mr_Bob

by BNA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:31 pm

BNA

Re: Training on tubular wheels?

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:31 pm

For training on Tubulars, I'd probably put some Tubular friendly sealant into them (I think TUFO make this among other brands). Carry a spare cheap pre-glued tyre with you and let us know how you get on.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I would take them off your hands in a flash if I was near you :-) ... Been looking for some tubular ksyriums for cyclocross for ages.
Training on them ?... I know plenty who do but personally I wouldn't.
toolonglegs

Postby open roader » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Cons - time measured in days is required to properly glue tubulars to the rims
- patience is required to properly glue tubulars to the rims

Pros - excellent ride comfort at low pressures without speed losses / extra rolling resistance
- hugely diminished chance of pinch flats at low pressures compared to clinchers

Tubular tyres, even quality 320tpi models need not cost the world if you purchase from O.S. like Ribble...........

I'm no racer but for the past 12 months have ridden on tubular tyres as an everyday training and occasional social ride tyre option. I also ride on lumpy / rough roads and could only find acceptable comfort from fat clinchers at air pressures which caused me to pinch flat them regularly. I was convinced to switch to tubulars and have not looked back. I can get the same comfort level from 23mm Vittoria SC, CX or CG tubular tyres as I did from 25mm Schwalbe Ultremo ZX clinchers and not pinch out 3 tubes in 2 weeks.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am

open roader wrote:Cons - time measured in days is required to properly glue tubulars to the rims

A little confused with statement. I used to race on them after only 4-5hrs sometimes when things went to crap and had to reglue a new one on, on race days. :?

This was also on Velodromes and almost flat tracks as in only 10degree banking and in A grade sprint finals.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby open roader » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:03 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
open roader wrote:Cons - time measured in days is required to properly glue tubulars to the rims

A little confused with statement. I used to race on them after only 4-5hrs sometimes when things went to crap and had to reglue a new one on, on race days. :?

This was also on Velodromes and almost flat tracks as in only 10degree banking and in A grade sprint finals.

Foo

Fair enough comment - nothing like real world experience.

I have had some online coaching on tubular gluing from someone with high standards and also watched the many tutorial style videos on youtube etc with most sources recommending multiple glue layers and up to 12 hours between layer applications hence my reference to days and patience.

I'm yet to cop a flat out on the road with a tubular so I can't pass comment on how much agony it is (or is not) to rip the dead hoop off and fit/inflate a pre-glued spare hoop compared to the tube and levers deal with clinchers.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:04 am

open roader wrote:Fair enough comment - nothing like real world experience.

I have had some online coaching on tubular gluing from someone with high standards and also watched the many tutorial style videos on youtube etc with most sources recommending multiple glue layers and up to 12 hours between layer applications hence my reference to days and patience.

I'm yet to cop a flat out on the road with a tubular so I can't pass comment on how much agony it is (or is not) to rip the dead hoop off and fit/inflate a pre-glued spare hoop compared to the tube and levers deal with clinchers.

Layering glue is only for the first set of tyres on a brand new, clean rim - and not everyone does this.

If you use the tape thats available your wheels are ready to go immediately. I havn't used the tape myself and have always been a little concerned about it but I'm seeing more and more positive reports for the tape from well respected people so if time was a big issue - then I'd give the tape a run.

Also glue doesn't take days to dry - I've glued tyres late at night and ridden on them at 5am the next morning. If you were in a hurry I'm sure you could do it quicker. I've ridden spares that had no fresh glue on them and although caution was exercised they didn't really slow me down at all..
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Mr_Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks everyone,
I think i'll go clinchers,
I'm used to them on the MTB, so i'm more comfortable with idea.

Any recommendations on $300-500 wheels?
Don't mind if they're not the lightest, so i guess i'm looking for strength and aesthetics :)
Mr_Bob

Postby bosvit » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Jacks sells Pro-lite Bracciano's which are as good as you will get for the money.

I know a couple of people with them and they really rate them, I don't have any myself but they are on the radar if I ever wear out my training wheels, which sadly at the moment I have to race on....

I am hoping to be able to afford some tubbies for next season (only race winter over here) and a spare set would be handy for training and/or stretching new tyres.

How much for the Ksyriums?

And which state are you in eg for pick up or postage.

Cheers
Brett
bosvit

Postby Mr_Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks guys,
The Bracciano's look like a good deal to me
Also seen some good prices on Ultegra 6700's and Mavic Cosmics.
So many choices!

Appreciate the interest to buy my Ksyriums,
I will probably post them for sale if i still have them when i meet the minimum membership criteria.
With respect to the forum rules I won't discuss in this thread, but happy to answer any PMs if you have questions.
Mr_Bob

Postby Mr_Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Braccianos are ordered,

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Especially Deon for prompt replies to my PMs, honest advice, and a great value product :)
Mr_Bob

Return to Buying a bike / parts