Advice on a new bike

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Advice on a new bike

Postby cj31572 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey guys,
I know there are probably thousands of these posts per year.. but here is another.

I am looking to enter the riding market again and I am looking at two bikes at the moment. The Malvernstar OPPY C6, which has Shimano Ultegra/105 components, or the Merida Scultura Comp 905 which is Ultegra with a mix of merida cranks and brakes.

They both have positives and negatives for me, the merida has Fulcrum Racing comp wheels which I believe are better than the oppys Mavic Aksium, the full shimano components seems a better match than the bits and pieces of the merida.

Both bikes are around 2500

any help would be great.

Thanks
cj31572

by BNA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

BNA

Re: Advice on a new bike

Postby Sydguy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:29 pm

What year are both bikes made?

Have you taken each for a 30 minute test ride?

Both come with full bike fit and free adjustments/first service?

Do you like the look of both equally?

When we know the year of each we can compare specs, but they are both carbon road bikes with mostly Ultegra group set so it's wheels that need looking at?

Are you wanting to race or more long range endurance style riding?

Cheers
JM
Sydguy

Re: Advice on a new bike

Postby cj31572 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 am

They are both the current 2013 bikes, unfortunately at the moment I cant test ride them as neither are in my local store.

Both come with full bike fit and free adjustments/first service? Yes they have 12months free service.

Do you like the look of both equally? I do, although the Merida is red and white and well I am a dragons and swans fan, but yes the merida is slightly ahead on looks.

When we know the year of each we can compare specs, but they are both carbon road bikes with mostly Ultegra group set so it's wheels that need looking at? The Merida has Fulcrum Racing comp wheels, the Oppy has Mavic Aksium

Are you wanting to race or more long range endurance style riding? No I wont be racing anytime soon, I have set a goal to compete in a local tri next year but other than that its more of a long range riding style.

Thanks for your help, as you may notice, I know nothing about the modern bikes. My last road bike was one of the first to come out with sti gearing and lately Ive been on an old mtn bike so please any advice is great.

Cj
cj31572

Return to Buying a bike / parts