Flat spots...

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Flat spots...

Postby JessicaAlba » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Near the end of my Saturday morning sojourn, I was happily cruising along at a lazy 41kph, when a wonderfully attentive individual* in a Landcruiser troopy decided to slow up beside me and pull, o so gently, across the bike lane to park on the grassy verge. Given my rapid velocity and his sudden presence in front of me, travelling at a tenth my own speed, I was forced to lock both wheels in a hurry and come to a skidding halt.

I swerved around the vehicle, bidding the driver a pleasant morning**, and continued homeward. Once home, I inspected my nice Continental Gatorskins and found a couple of nice flat spots...

Should I be worried about these? They aren't huge, and I cannot feel them as I ride, but definitely noticeable visually. Will they eventually even out...should I be looking at new tyres??

* not reflective of my true sentiments toward this bloke.

** not reflective of the actual language directed at said bloke.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/RS80s (with DA7850 hubs!)/MaxxisRe-fuse
JessicaAlba

by BNA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

BNA

Re: Flat spots...

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Unless you can feel it when you ride I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be fine to ride.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

I once took my bike into a bikeshop for some problem and the owner commented on how evenly worn down both my tyres were, they ususally saw lots of flat spotted tyres. If you have wear patches in your tyres don't expect however for these to disappear over time, unless you have a habit of emergency braking. If you can't feel the flat spots then keep riding, just bear in mind that your tyres' lifespan is already shorter and that Gatorskins lose their great puncture resistance as the tyres wear down. So keep riding but carry a patch kit.
just4tehhalibut

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

JessicaAlba wrote:I was forced to lock both wheels in a hurry and come to a skidding halt.
Was it dry? What was the condition of the road? On a dry road, going straight, how didn't you just throw yourself over the bars?

I regularly practice emergency stops at the end of my rides. Only use the front brake and often lift the rear wheel. Haven't locked the front yet on a dry, good condition road that I know of.
Nobody

Postby JessicaAlba » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Bone dry, smoothish tarmac...to be fair, I managed a sort of ABS-esque pulsation, but there was definite skiddage and cessation of motion.
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/RS80s (with DA7850 hubs!)/MaxxisRe-fuse
JessicaAlba

Return to Buying a bike / parts