Fake oakley jawbones?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bossonbike » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi
I bought some oakley jawbones off ebay and they arrived today. From what I can see they look pretty authentic but the right thru bolt seems to be raised a bit higher compared to the left which is in place neatly. Does this mean its fake?
Btw got from here- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-OAKLEY-J ... 3538wt_980

As you can see seller looks legit mostly positive feedback but idknwhat are your opinions
bossonbike
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

by BNA » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm

BNA
 

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Got some pictures?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4568
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bosvit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 pm

It may well be hard to tell

I have an authentic set of Jawbones and a $29 set from a l i e x p r e s s and I cannot tell the difference when wearing them.

I have put aftermarket lenses in the fakers and IMO they are better than the authentic set!

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on real ones again :oops:
User avatar
bosvit
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Port Lincoln

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby MarkG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 pm

How about some livestrong ones?
Lol
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby sir_camel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

I bought some (very good) fake Radar Path's on eBay and eventually got the guys at an Oakley store to verify they were fake. They said they were the best fakes they'd seen though but got my money back. Post some pics and I'll compare to my genuine jawbones,
sir_camel
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bossonbike » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 pm

ImageImage
Image Image
Sorry for crappy phone pics. But I think you will see clearly irregularities in the thru bolts and ear sock seems dodgy?
bossonbike
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:38 pm

Bolt may be loose causing that.
My socks are not flush with the frame, they stand out quite a bit and mine are genuine from CRC. If in doubt take them to an oakley shop
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4568
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 am

Not so much the glasses but the accessories... glass hard & soft bags, extra lenses, little cleany thing.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14331
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bardygrub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:56 am

i have purchased a few sets off this mob, and cant fault them. They even have made in the usa on the inside of the arms, come with padded case ,interchangeable lens's yet... i know they are fake :mrgreen: but $45.00 for radar path with 5 different colour lens's suits me fine 8)
check them out, and tell them bardy sent you!

http://www.cycling-monton.com/cycling-s ... 52800.html
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bossonbike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 am

toolonglegs wrote:Not so much the glasses but the accessories... glass hard & soft bags, extra lenses, little cleany thing.


Yeah came with all cases bags paperwork etc
bossonbike
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby philip » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:05 am

Is there a printed number on the inside of one of the arms?

Did you get a cleaning thing as well as the bag to put them in? The genuine ones don't come with an extra cleaning cloth, the microfibre bag you put them in doubles as the lense cleaner. If you got an extra cleaning cloth they could be fake as that's what I've heard one difference is...
User avatar
philip
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Lane Cove, Sydney

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bosvit » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:44 pm

The case. Is an easy way to tell as well. Originals will say case made in China and the lenses can be stored in the middle of where the glasses are stored.

If I still have both cases I will post some pics when I get home.
User avatar
bosvit
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Port Lincoln

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bossonbike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 pm

bosvit wrote:The case. Is an easy way to tell as well. Originals will say case made in China and the lenses can be stored in the middle of where the glasses are stored.

If I still have both cases I will post some pics when I get home.


Yep I got a soft bag with it that says oakley for storing glasses and a lenses pocket in the middle. it says made in china as well so maybe its authentic.
bossonbike
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bossonbike » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm

philip wrote:Is there a printed number on the inside of one of the arms?

Did you get a cleaning thing as well as the bag to put them in? The genuine ones don't come with an extra cleaning cloth, the microfibre bag you put them in doubles as the lense cleaner. If you got an extra cleaning cloth they could be fake as that's what I've heard one difference is...


The only cloth i got was in a small plastic bag with the nano clear thing- i dont think thats a cleaning cloth though. It says 04-216J on inside of one arm and made in usa on other. i did a searcch and found the model on the japanese oakley site lol. Well anyway I gave them to my cousin he says he will try get his lbs to see if they are authentic or not next time he goes there to buy something.
bossonbike
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby bosvit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 am

This is the original case, can't find the faker

Image

Also the soft bag has a pouch for extra lenses with my originals but not with the fakers
User avatar
bosvit
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Port Lincoln

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby arkle » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 am

Haha I like threads like this so I'll post my comments again! :)

If it's so difficult to tell the fake and the original apart what difference does it make whether you've bought the fake or the original. Who cares? It costs only cents to make even the genuine article; the price inflation is just a combination of manipulative marketing and weak consumer gullibility.

Interesting reading from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 52610.html

1. Most sunglasses are made by the same company. Do you prefer the "quality" of Ray-Ban to Oakley? Do you think Bulgari is better than Dolce & Gabbana, or Salvatore Ferragamo is better than Prada? Wake up. They're all made by one company, Italian manufacturer Luxottica – one of the biggest consumer companies that consumers have never heard of. Luxottica also makes sunglasses branded Burberry, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Tiffany, Versace, Vogue, Persol, Miu Miu, Tory Burch and Donna Karan.

"We manufacture about 70% of those brands in our factories in Italy, and the balance in America and China," says Luxottica spokesman Luca Biondolillo. "We do the design, the manufacturing, and the marketing," he adds. The company makes most of those brands under license, working closely with designers at the relevant fashion houses. But it owns several brands itself, including Ray-Ban, Oakley, Oliver Peoples and REVO.

2. In many cases, the same company is also selling you the glasses. Luxottica also owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and Sunglass Hut.

and an interview with someone in the industry from http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/jun/22/wh ... st-3-make/

"... you'll see several production lines and running down them are sunglasses that are going to end up at Target for $6.99 and sunglasses that are going to end up at Nordstrom or Saks that are designer sunglasses for $250.00. And they cost pretty much the same amount to make."

"... unless there's gold, silver or they're made out of real tortoiseshell, basically none of them cost more than three dollars to make."

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby boss » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:29 am

arkle wrote:Haha I like threads like this so I'll post my comments again! :)

If it's so difficult to tell the fake and the original apart what difference does it make whether you've bought the fake or the original. Who cares? It costs only cents to make even the genuine article; the price inflation is just a combination of manipulative marketing and weak consumer gullibility.

Interesting reading from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 52610.html

1. Most sunglasses are made by the same company. Do you prefer the "quality" of Ray-Ban to Oakley? Do you think Bulgari is better than Dolce & Gabbana, or Salvatore Ferragamo is better than Prada? Wake up. They're all made by one company, Italian manufacturer Luxottica – one of the biggest consumer companies that consumers have never heard of. Luxottica also makes sunglasses branded Burberry, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Tiffany, Versace, Vogue, Persol, Miu Miu, Tory Burch and Donna Karan.

"We manufacture about 70% of those brands in our factories in Italy, and the balance in America and China," says Luxottica spokesman Luca Biondolillo. "We do the design, the manufacturing, and the marketing," he adds. The company makes most of those brands under license, working closely with designers at the relevant fashion houses. But it owns several brands itself, including Ray-Ban, Oakley, Oliver Peoples and REVO.

2. In many cases, the same company is also selling you the glasses. Luxottica also owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and Sunglass Hut.

and an interview with someone in the industry from http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/jun/22/wh ... st-3-make/

"... you'll see several production lines and running down them are sunglasses that are going to end up at Target for $6.99 and sunglasses that are going to end up at Nordstrom or Saks that are designer sunglasses for $250.00. And they cost pretty much the same amount to make."

"... unless there's gold, silver or they're made out of real tortoiseshell, basically none of them cost more than three dollars to make."

arkle


I am actively involved in designing/manufacturing sunglasses for a small business that I own, and can confirm costs, at least from what I've been involved with. I do not pay US$3 for the stuff I have made due to the numbers I am producing (nowhere near enough to get that sort of price) but can see it being achievable if you are making tens of thousands.

That US$3 obviously is for the frames and lenses not for the entire kit (case etc) but I couldn't see it costing a brand more than $10 to have shades done from woa to go.

I bought a pair of fake Jawbones from cycling monton, will post up here with my thoughts. Got the clear framed ones with black boots.
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby Purt » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm

An easy way to tell is the zip on the case.
User avatar
Purt
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am

Fakes or "Foakleys" ;-)
Image
Dr_Mutley
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby MarkG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 am

Oakrey
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:16 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:Fakes or "Foakleys" ;-)


I think you mean Fauxkleys. 8)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
User avatar
JustJames
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby wheels46 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 pm

From what I've researched if they are super cheap then they are super fake... There's also the shiftys who sell genuine Oakley frames but put aftermarket lenses in them.
I reckon if you're going to buy them online stick with the reputable bike stores Wiggle, CRC, Probikekit etc.
User avatar
wheels46
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby boss » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 am

Got the jawbones from cycling monton.

Not bad shades, but not worth $65. At least the ones I got.

I chose clear frames + black boots and the frames are clearly cheap. They are made of low-grade plastic and feel cheap. I'm not sure if the other colours are made of better material.

For the money I shouldn't complain but feel the are worth more like $20-30, not $65.

They came with hard case, soft case, cleaning cloth, 3 x lenses and came in a livestrong box (?!). Also had warantee info, little subscribe to oakley's newsletter card, and instructions on how to change out the lenses. All that stuff seemed super legit, it's just the frames that let it down for me.
boss
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby MADCAP » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Image
User avatar
MADCAP
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Fake oakley jawbones?

Postby takai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:04 am

I have a dodgy pair of Jawbone frames which i picked up for $12 in Malaysia after my genuine Jawbones were stolen. Just swapped over to the genuine tinted lenses that i still had (they only nicked the glasses and yellow lenses) and kept going for the rest of the holiday. They are pretty bad copies, but still came with all of the bits and bobs.

I have another pair of $60 Radar Paths as well, which are quite nice, and undiscernable from the genuine thing even by the guys at the Melbourne Central Oakley store. They are probably ones that have fallen off the back of the production line and gone out the back door.

On the other hand i have a pair of bodgy arse "RayBans" which while the feel and fit is good, the lenses arnt UV resistant, and pass about 95% of UV light through them.
takai
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm


Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter