Who me?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Who me?

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 pm

It can't have happened as there aren't any photos yet, but someone has just ordered a new bicycle.

The imposed prerequisite to purchase was met which saw a lovely gentleman wheel away a mtb on Friday.

Those who know (and love) me had better be sitting down - others can stand if they choose.

CAADX disc ultegra.

That is all.
moosterbounce

by BNA » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 pm

BNA

Re: Who me?

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:52 pm

moosterbounce wrote:That is all.

ALL???!!!

Not by a long shot is it all! Spill them beans :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:35 am

Trust you to want the gory details!! :)

I have a road bike, a tt bike,and until Friday a second hand dually. I've ridden the dually 50km and, although I enjoyed it, to br honest I didn't need a dually for the Kep Track (essentially a rail trail following the water pipeline from Perth to northam). But I still wanted to be able to do these sorts of rides.

And then there was commuting. I do it occasionally on Scotty but only if I leave my laptop in the office etc. at the moment I have a 70km round trip as a commute but our plan is to move closer to the city soon, making a daily commute a bit more viable with the right kit.

With all this, I figured a cyclocross bike was a good option provided it came with rack and fender mounts so I could make it a commuter/light tourer as required. I wanted discs, didn't want tektro brakes (personal choice, no logic there), didn't want Alex rims (again, personal choice as I've ad nothing but bad experiences with them).

Looking around, there were few options which met my specifications. I'm fussy :wink:

The 'dale met the specs and had ultegra which I was used to so a plus there.

I've never ridden a 'dale and am not sure about the frame/warranty based on their reputation, but I had to give it a go. I was comparing with a Whyte Saxon Cross but the spec wasn't as good for more $ and I wasn't certain about the head tube angles based on my more road bike history.

So there you have it. Commuter, gravel trails, light single track...that's the plan anyway :wink:

Oh...and my husband bought a giant tcx and discovered he now had more bikes than me so I had a bit it leeway with the approval cycle!! :D
moosterbounce

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:45 pm

CX bikes are the new black!
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
JustJames

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks Moo. :D

One word: YUMMO!

Hmmm, how long before you hit the Chinese carbon thread looking for a set of lightweight carbon commute wheels?... :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jasonc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:54 pm

JustJames wrote:CX bikes are the new black!

+1
jasonc

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks Moo. :D

One word: YUMMO!

Hmmm, how long before you hit the Chinese carbon thread looking for a set of lightweight carbon commute wheels?... :wink:

Shaun

Never!! Why don't you believe me?! in all seriousness...never. Any carbon rims I buy will be for the tt bike only. I might need to source some better bars for the caadx and maybe an SMP saddle to match my roadie, but they will be determined over time. I'm now so used to the SMP and a fat carbon bar though that these would need to be pretty special to stay.

I'm not sure if cx bikes are popular or not. Shop where I got this one (not my favourite unfortunately :( ) only keeps one TCX in stock and this one is a special order, despite there being lots in stock. I don't understand why they don't advertise the specs more. Already someone in my office is interested in switching from his flat bar to something like this.
moosterbounce

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 pm

CX bikes - I believe - are about to become very popular. They combine the best bits of roadies (light weight, light-ish wheels), with the best bits of MTB's (low gearing, comfy ride, ability to ride on and off kerbs).

Just as fixies became fashion victims, the sad thing is that CX bikes are about to do the same.

Or maybe it's a good thing....who knows, who cares?
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
JustJames

Postby boss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

JustJames wrote:CX bikes - I believe - are about to become very popular. They combine the best bits of roadies (light weight, light-ish wheels), with the best bits of MTB's (low gearing, comfy ride, ability to ride on and off kerbs).

Just as fixies became fashion victims, the sad thing is that CX bikes are about to do the same.

Or maybe it's a good thing....who knows, who cares?

IMHO, fixies and cx are chalk and cheese, apples and oranges, etc

Fixies for the most part are simply a fashion accessory... Not much more. They aren't super practical (if you want practical - why no freewheel?). And they are kinda dangerous in the wrong hands.

CX bikes will become popular because they are ridiculously practical for today's urban commute. Not because its cool to have one.
boss

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

JustJames wrote:CX bikes are the new black!
Black is the new black. :mrgreen:
Nobody

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 pm

jimboss wrote: Not because its cool to have one.

Damn :wink:
moosterbounce

Postby Parker » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

What about getting a new wanky car first and a new wanky house.... When do I get to see it?

I'm in Melbourne this weekend, might be riding past your place next weekend... When when when I ask you?
Parker

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Car is almost on order so that should be sorted out this weekend. Just working the finances,..and the waiting period :( Yes, lots of buttons and cool stuff :)

Bike expected Monday (I'll need to tell Mr Moo before then :oops: )!! Expecting it to be late though so I'm not disappointed.

House...that's another story, but if I stopped working 7 days a week I might be able to get that sorted too. I'm so tired :(

Pushy aren't ya!! :P
moosterbounce

Postby boss » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 am

moosterbounce wrote:
jimboss wrote: Not because its cool to have one.

Damn :wink:

There might be a lil bit of cool factor in there too 8)

But they're going to be popular because they're useful :twisted:
boss

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 am

moosterbounce wrote:Car is almost on order so that should be sorted out this weekend. Just working the finances,..and the waiting period :( Yes, lots of buttons and cool stuff :)

Bike expected Monday (I'll need to tell Mr Moo before then :oops: )!! Expecting it to be late though so I'm not disappointed.

House...that's another story, but if I stopped working 7 days a week I might be able to get that sorted too. I'm so tired :(

What 4WD did you end up with? :)
rabobank89

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:34 am

Minds pretty set on the my13 Touareg :)

Just need to work out what options bring it to the same spec as ours. Of course, we'll miss the v10 :(
moosterbounce

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 am

moosterbounce wrote:Minds pretty set on the my13 Touareg :)

Just need to work out what options bring it to the same spec as ours. Of course, we'll miss the v10 :(

Nice choice.. Yeah I'm sure you will miss that V10

I was given a loan Cayenne Diesel the other day which was very comparable to the Touareg and was impressed with the 8 speed gear box and torque from the V6 both of which are in the VW I think...

Enjoy!
rabobank89

Postby Parker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 am

moosterbounce wrote:Car is almost on order so that should be sorted out this weekend. Just working the finances,..and the waiting period :( Yes, lots of buttons and cool stuff :)

I'm going to send you abusive emails, because I can swear more in emails than I can here...
Parker

Postby Lizzy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 pm

Ooh! Late to the party but will be watching for updates with interest. CX has my ears pricked up pretty seriously for all the above reasons, plus BF has moved to "South Geraldton" & somewhat apropos of that my commute is likely to double in the medium-term. Let us know how much you love it when it comes home :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Picked up the new baby today and rode him home. I went up the bike/foot path along wanneroo road, cut across some grass because I could, dodged a reversing idiot in a driveway, then headed down Reid highway to the freeway bike path and on to Joondalup. I was deliberately getting the feel of the bike as its a bit different to my others.

I have just 2 things to say about the caadx.

1. This is brilliant fan and so versatile.
2. Why didn't I buy one sooner?!

I'm loving it. Trouble is, I love my other 2 as well. I can see there will be arguments :)
moosterbounce

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 pm

PICS!
PICS!
PICS!
PICS!
PICS!
:mrgreen:
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Buying a bike / parts