Aero Wheels for Daily Duties

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Aero Wheels for Daily Duties

Postby rabobank89 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:52 am

Hey guys...

So... I I like running deep section wheels as my fitness is at a point where I notice the difference at high speeds.

However, I dont want to run my expensive lightweight or zipp wheels. I noticed my zipps are starting to bulge at the nipples so I rather some cheaper and stronger aero wheels.

I have tried the AC Aero 420's which were strong and awesome but hated the braking surface...

What recommendation do you guys have?

I'm currently looking at the 2013 RS80 C50's from merlin at $750 and Sram S60's from CE at $1299

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... ncher.html

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/sra ... elset.aspx
Last edited by rabobank89 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabobank89

by BNA » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am

BNA

Re: Aero Wheels for Daily Duties

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am

Or a set of cheap v's for only $185. Weighs only 2650g too, train heavy race light remember :D .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/700C-Stars-R ... 388wt_1271
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby MarkG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:17 am

Aero wheels are a waste of time for what you do man.. save your money.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby antipodean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:28 am

MarkG wrote:Aero wheels are a waste of time for what you do man.. save your money.

Haha this is rabobank remember money is never a problem.
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

ldrcycles wrote:Or a set of cheap v's for only $185. Weighs only 2650g too, train heavy race light remember :D .
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/700C-Stars-R ... 388wt_1271

2650g !!

Have you thought of dragging a car tyre behind your bike? It'd be cheaper, cut the rope on race-day :-)
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:54 am

Funny thing is, my PBs for several rides/segments are on the single speed versions of those wheels!

As for rope, what and then buy more rope everytime i cut it, you think i'm made of money?! These are trying economic times :lol: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby antipodean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 am

2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Funny thing is, my PBs for several rides/segments are on the single speed versions of those wheels!

As for rope, what and then buy more rope everytime i cut it, you think i'm made of money?! These are trying economic times :lol: .

Use old tubes :-)
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Cardy George » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

I've been using Mavic Cosmic SL wheels for the last 12,000 km with no dramas. My commute bike is also my play bike.......

They're effectively Kysiriums with a carbon fairing
Fondreist R10, Dura-Ace, Cosmic SL's
Specialized Hardrock, Spinergy Xyclones
And the occasional trailer full of kids......
Cardy George

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Funny thing is, my PBs for several rides/segments are on the single speed versions of those wheels!

Use old tubes :-)

Perfect! :lol:
ldrcycles

Postby steveo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 pm

I have fast forward F6RC's and I'm happy. $1450.00 from bike bug.com out of north Sydney. Delivery 2 days.
steveo

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm not sure how aero you want, but the Kinlin XC-290 (BHS C472W) have a decent aero profile, worth a look IMO. They should at least be on par with Zipp 101 in terms of Aero but will be much lighter and offer the convenience of alloy. At $60 for a rim they are fairly cheap, the cost of the build will depend on your spoke and hub choice. If you want factory built and alloy, the FLO 30 looks like to have a very good aero profile, however they are not yet available for production. As you mentioned "daily duties" in your post, I assumed you wanted a cheap, durable, everyday aero wheel, these are the two I would recommend for those criteria

One thing I've learnt about wheel aerodynamics is that deep profile does not equal aero, the shape of the profile has a noticeable effect on the aero. This is why a 24mm rim out-performed the Zipp 101's in some aero testing (I can't remember which wheel)
Last edited by usernameforme on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Need a cycle computer? see here
usernameforme

Postby winstonw » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:57 pm

I don't recommend using deep dish for general commuting. IME:
- deep dish carbon rims are extremely stiff. shock from rough rides and potholes destroys hubs a lot quicker, especially if you are a heavier rider.
- try bunny hopping sharp speed bumps and potholes on deep dish vs alloy sub 28mm.
- try running deep dish in gusty 25+ knot winds.
- that carbon rim stiffness can make tube changes damned hard.
- when descending unfamiliar roads at 70+kph, I want extreme confidence in my wheels. sudden catastrophic failure or carbon brake surface overheating are not an acceptable option.
winstonw

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:01 pm

adding to the post above, carbon rims over-heating and handling in crosswinds is largely down to bike geometry and ride skill (and a little bit of rim shape) IMO. If the rider is a good bikehandeler, they should have no trouble keeping deep wheels in check, I know someone who commutes on HED Stinger 9's. With the issue of the carbon braking surface overheating, if you don't use your brakes than they won't heat up :wink: I'm not saying we should all be crazy and kill ourselves, I'm trying to say that we shouldn't be dragging our brakes down a hill and blaming the brakes for overheating - a bad craftsman always blames his tools.
usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 pm

Cardy George wrote:I've been using Mavic Cosmic SL wheels for the last 12,000 km with no dramas. My commute bike is also my play bike.......

They're effectively Kysiriums with a carbon fairing

the rim width is slightly narrower so they are not ksyriums with a carbon fairing, nor are they open pro's with a fairing.

just sayin' :wink:
usernameforme

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm

winstonw wrote:I don't recommend using deep dish for general commuting. IME:

Depends how deep you're talking, my cheap v's are 38mm and i have never noticed any more buffeting with those than i've found with any normal 24mm rims (Aksium, R500 and RS80 C24).
ldrcycles

Postby clackers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:40 am

ldrcycles wrote:
winstonw wrote:I don't recommend using deep dish for general commuting. IME:

Depends how deep you're talking, my cheap v's are 38mm and i have never noticed any more buffeting with those than i've found with any normal 24mm rims (Aksium, R500 and RS80 C24).

Yes, I had 55s back and front, replaced the front with a 38 and it's now fine with gusts.
clackers

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:47 am

Cosmic carbone SL's

Aluminium rim means no problems with braking, don't have to change pads etc. Steel spokes, not insanely heavy but not light either. I'm using mine more and more often now (even for riding to work sometimes) and I'd say they're no less comfortable than my Axiums and probably nearly as strong.
AndrewBurns

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:41 am

Cosmic Carbones aren't very aero because they have a terrible profile, If I remember correctly, the cosmic elite performs almost as well as the Carbone SL
usernameforme

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 am

He's only running them for training anyway :P 'Terrible profile' might lose you a watt or two which over a 40km ITT might make a difference but you won't notice it in general riding.
AndrewBurns

Postby usernameforme » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 am

A bad profile is harder to control in cross winds, He may as well go for a slightly shallower and lighter set and still get the same aero. Unless you want a wheel to test your bike handling, climbing and everything else while your training I'd stay away from the Cosmic Carbone SL's. There are better options out there at that price, and cheaper (like the cosmic elite, under 1/2 the price and the Same aero qualities)
usernameforme

Postby Cardy George » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:19 am

usernameforme wrote:A bad profile is harder to control in cross winds, He may as well go for a slightly shallower and lighter set and still get the same aero. Unless you want a wheel to test your bike handling, climbing and everything else while your training I'd stay away from the Cosmic Carbone SL's. There are better options out there at that price, and cheaper (like the cosmic elite, under 1/2 the price and the Same aero qualities)

Ah,if they're such a handful in cross winds, I must be a Master of Bike Control....... We get 30-40kph winds up here at this time of year and they aren't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting them to be, given the profile
Fondreist R10, Dura-Ace, Cosmic SL's
Specialized Hardrock, Spinergy Xyclones
And the occasional trailer full of kids......
Cardy George

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 am

I would run deep dish everyday if I could as well. 50mm is a nice training wheel... wind doesn't bother me.
"Train heavy / race light" sounds great... but it makes no difference to your fitness, your training is just slower with the same power output.
I would quite like to try the Fulcrum Wind 50's on my CX bike in the mud :-)
toolonglegs

Postby boss » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 am

toolonglegs wrote:I would run deep dish everyday if I could as well. 50mm is a nice training wheel... wind doesn't bother me.
"Train heavy / race light" sounds great... but it makes no difference to your fitness, your training is just slower with the same power output.

If you are building strength / power, doesn't training heavy help this?
boss

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:25 am

jimboss wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I would run deep dish everyday if I could as well. 50mm is a nice training wheel... wind doesn't bother me.

If you are building strength / power, doesn't training heavy help this?

If I have a power meter on my bike and go out and hold 350 watts for an hour... does it matter how much the wheels weigh?. If the wheels are 1 kilo or 2 I am still holding the same power output.
Yes the light weight wheels will feel lighter when I put them on and I may accelerate quicker and climb quicker... but that isn't making any difference to the amount of power I apply to the pedals.
toolonglegs

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts