Garmin Edge V Cateye Strada Double Wireless

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Garmin Edge V Cateye Strada Double Wireless

Postby TZ2102 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Just wanting to know the advantages of the garmin edge (probably 200) over the Cateye strada double wireless (cadence aswell).
I have an iphone that I use for strava.

Ye so what are the pro's, con's from your experiences
TZ2102

by BNA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

BNA

Re: Garmin Edge V Cateye Strada Double Wireless

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Probably better for you to go with the Cateye, it's nearly half the price of the Garmin and seems to have similar features
Ross

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Ross wrote:Probably better for you to go with the Cateye, it's nearly half the price of the Garmin and seems to have similar features

200 - no ant+. no cadence, no HRM. does all via GPS

if they are your choices, then cateye
jasonc

Postby TZ2102 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:54 am

Cannot Decide Between;
Cateye Double Wireless - $75
Garmin Edge 500 - $200 (realised the edge 200 was kinda pointless). Is the garmin connect website that great?? does the cateye have any website or something of that nature?

Thanks
TZ2102

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am

TZ2102 wrote:Cannot Decide Between;
Cateye Double Wireless - $75
Garmin Edge 500 - $200 (realised the edge 200 was kinda pointless). Is the garmin connect website that great?? does the cateye have any website or something of that nature?

Thanks

garmin connect website is good, but strava is better - compares you against other people

$200 for the edge 500 wouldn't be the bundle (the bundle with speed/cadence/HRM is about $250)
jasonc

Postby richbee » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 am

My vote would be be for the Edge 500, GPS, Heartrate, Cadence, plus ability to add Ant+ power meters gives it the edge over the cateye (pun intended) and output can be loaded to Strava which is heaps better than Garmin Connect, but...
There an Ap for that ;)
Get the Strava Ap for your iPhone or other GPS enabled smartphone, get a plug in Ant+ reciever, hook up all the above to your smartphone. Because the smartphone triangulates it's own position against celphone masts, it picks up satellite locations far quicker than the GPS only units.

My ha'penny's worth...
richbee

Postby TZ2102 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:53 am

if kept in good condition how long does these things generally last..particularly the garmin?

My vote would be be for the Edge 500, GPS, Heartrate, Cadence, plus ability to add Ant+ power meters gives it the edge over the cateye (pun intended) and output can be loaded to Strava which is heaps better than Garmin Connect, but...
There an Ap for that
Get the Strava Ap for your iPhone or other GPS enabled smartphone, get a plug in Ant+ reciever, hook up all the above to your smartphone. Because the smartphone triangulates it's own position against celphone masts, it picks up satellite locations far quicker than the GPS only units.

My ha'penny's worth...

I do have the strava app on my iphone. while I dont get cadence, HRM etc. does the Garmin make the speed more accurate (when I upload to strava the speed is very zig zaggy)? i.e. are there benefits of garmin edge 500 over iphone (besides cadence & HRM).

Also does it show your current gradient?
TZ2102

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:31 am

TZ2102 wrote:if kept in good condition how long does these things generally last..particularly the garmin?

my brother has had his 500 for quite a few years, no issues. people still use the old models - 305/705. so they do last.

TZ2102 wrote:I do have the strava app on my iphone. while I dont get cadence, HRM etc. does the Garmin make the speed more accurate (when I upload to strava the speed is very zig zaggy)? i.e. are there benefits of garmin edge 500 over iphone (besides cadence & HRM).

yes to gradient. and as speed (can be) measured off the speed/candence sensor, it's much more accurate (providing the correct tyre measurement is entered)
jasonc

Postby NewStew » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Actually the Garmin self calibrated between the GPS and the wheel sensor so it should be more accurate.
NewStew

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:09 pm

I would have to vote for the Garmin 500.

It is by far one of the best bicycle accessories I've ever used & has lasted trouble free for almost 2 years now, including MTB/road/rain/mud & general abuse.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby TZ2102 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:10 pm

TZ2102

Postby richbee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:19 am

TZ2102 wrote:if kept in good condition how long does these things generally last..particularly the garmin?

I do have the strava app on my iphone. while I dont get cadence, HRM etc. does the Garmin make the speed more accurate (when I upload to strava the speed is very zig zaggy)? i.e. are there benefits of garmin edge 500 over iphone (besides cadence & HRM).

You need an aftermarket Ant+ reciever to be able to hook up cadence/wheel sensors and HRM to the smartphone. I know Garmin have one for the iPhone, don't know about the others though.
Re longevity of the Garmin units, I've had an Edge305 for the last eight years and it still works as well as day one despite having dropped it (the edge not the bike) numerous times plus an almighty off on my MTB. I reckon it's pretty robust. Just up(down?)graded to Edge 500 because the satellite pick-up is that much quicker than the older 305 and there's afew more features that I "need" on the 500 :wink:
Features on the Edge 500 that 305 doesn't have that I like and use are gradient, the ability to set specific altitude points, and increased functionality of the display screens and the ability to set a number of different displays that are easy to scroll through on the fly. The 500 also has a temperature feature but im not sure this is that accurate. Not impressed that the virtual partner function has disappeared though, I guess I'll have to put the 305 back on for when I'm doing laps at Nundah crit track.
Bit worried that there's aftermarket soft covers available for the 200/500/800 - has Garmin compromised on the robustness of the newer units?
richbee

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:28 am

richbee wrote:
You need an aftermarket Ant+ reciever to be able to hook up cadence/wheel sensors and HRM to the smartphone. I know Garmin have one for the iPhone, don't know about the others though.
Re longevity of the Garmin units, I've had an Edge305 for the last eight years and it still works as well as day one despite having dropped it (the edge not the bike) numerous times plus an almighty off on my MTB. I reckon it's pretty robust. Just up(down?)graded to Edge 500 because the satellite pick-up is that much quicker than the older 305 and there's afew more features that I "need" on the 500 :wink:
Features on the Edge 500 that 305 doesn't have that I like and use are gradient, the ability to set specific altitude points, and increased functionality of the display screens and the ability to set a number of different displays that are easy to scroll through on the fly. The 500 also has a temperature feature but im not sure this is that accurate. Not impressed that the virtual partner function has disappeared though, I guess I'll have to put the 305 back on for when I'm doing laps at Nundah crit track.
Bit worried that there's aftermarket soft covers available for the 200/500/800 - has Garmin compromised on the robustness of the newer units?

I've only had my garmin 500 for about a year now but I've had it on the bike for two pretty big stacks and it's still working fine no problems at all. I've also been through some showers/storms with it, dropped it a few times etc. I think it's been a fantastic purchase, everything I could ever need in a bicycle computer and more, the only thing about it that annoys me is how long it takes to get satellite lock sometimes (can be a few minutes).
AndrewBurns

Postby kyap » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:21 pm

I had the strada double wireless which went faulty and I was tossing between edge 200 or 500 (on low budget). I end up getting the 500 on sale with crc. the cadence/ speed sensor and hrm does give a plus point. the BACKLIGHT gave me super benefit as I ride at night too.

just my 2c :wink:
~~Cervelo S2~~...Fast Ride Demanded....~~
kyap

Postby TZ2102 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Still not 100% sure, but where is the cheapest place to purchase the 500?

but has no one heard or tried these; http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wa ... -Strap.asp
http://www.wahoofitness.com/Products/Wa ... Sensor.asp

They are meant to be similar to the garmin but use the iphone.
TZ2102

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

TZ2102 wrote:They are meant to be similar to the garmin but use the iphone.

iphone which lasts how many hours with the gps running?
garmin edge 500 battery = 18 hours. sure buy an external battery pack for your iphone.

so all of a sudden you've spend almost as much as a garmin with less flexibility.
jasonc

Postby kyap » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

I thought CRC has the cheapest atm? Tho I bought mine there. Best investment in gps-cyclometer. :)

I've seen somewhere when google search it mentioned iphone GPS not as accurate as Garmin.
kyap

Postby TZ2102 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:17 pm

can the 500 be used for running? or will it stuff up your online stats e.g. average speed
TZ2102

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

TZ2102 wrote:can the 500 be used for running? or will it stuff up your online stats e.g. average speed

Yup, though it's not as good as the dedicated running ones.

I bought the 310xt wrist strap and the quarter turn kit so I can wear the 500 on my wrist. The screen is 90deg out (it sits along your arm, not across like a watch).

When you upload to Garmin connect or Strava, you can change the activity type to running and it's kept separate.
Ozkaban

Postby TZ2102 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 am

When you upload to Garmin connect or Strava, you can change the activity type to running and it's kept separate.

so you don't choose 'running' on the specific device. Out of curiousity, can it be used as a car gps? what are its other uses? can you use it to measure HR in a gym workout - but then how do you ensure it does not mess with your other stats online?

Really think im going to get one now. gotta decide between premium or std hrm
Last edited by TZ2102 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TZ2102

Postby TZ2102 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am

TZ2102

Postby kyap » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 pm

TZ2102 wrote:is this the premium hrm? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=82251

Yeap that one comes with premium strap. I bought that one. ;)
kyap

Postby m@ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:58 pm

There seem to be more reports of problems with the premium HRM strap than the standard... I opted for standard with my 500.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby TZ2102 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:30 pm

ordered from evans, cant wait. thanks for the advice
TZ2102

Postby whenin_rome » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:31 am

Is it possible to get the red/black edge 500 but with the standard HRM ?
Do as the Romans do!
whenin_rome

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts