Upgrade or replace

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Upgrade or replace

Postby Ozzyb4 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi,

I have a GT Backwoods hard tail. I has a Deore gruppo and rockshox July XC. The wheels are pretty toasted and one of the shifters has a tired spring which I have read is a common problem.
I need a bike for the Mrs and was thinking of fixing this one up to make it a fun bike for the bike paths, which I can put some knobby tyres on and she can have a bash at some easy single track on occasions.

When I look at it, I need to replace the wheels and shifters. The shifters have the brake levers integrated too.
I could find some cheap wheels with a braking surface and source a new shifter, but the upgrade bug says I should put discs on it, then I think of the other stuff I possibly would need to change (rear der, chain and cluster) and then I start thinking perhaps I should just buy her a new bike.

Any thoughts?
Ozzyb4

by BNA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 am

BNA

Re: Upgrade or replace

Postby Reman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 am

If the frame is decent, it should be pretty cheap to replace bits, check Ribble and Shiny Bikes for best prices. If its for the mrs to ride then chances of needing discs drops, no rain or mud I would guess.
Reman

Re: Upgrade or replace

Postby Ozzyb4 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 am

Discs definitely not necessary but it is hard to hold back. Just in case I ride it once a year!
Ozzyb4

Return to Buying a bike / parts