Tubular goes completely flat!

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Tubular goes completely flat!

Postby lasertip » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:59 pm

So I bit the bullet and got myself a pair of tubs with vittoria crono evo tyres (that came with it).

When I left them standing by themselves, they held pressure fine. However, once I put them on the bike and left them standing, the front wheel ONLY went completely flat. Like FLAT flat within 3 hours. Really bugs me and I can't figure out why.

Will go out buy a bottle of vittoria pit stop tmrw and see if it helps.. but has anyone else experienced this?
It's all in your head.
lasertip

by BNA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:14 pm

BNA

Re: Tubular goes completely flat!

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:14 pm

lasertip wrote:So I bit the bullet and got myself a pair of tubs with vittoria crono evo tyres (that came with it).

When I left them standing by themselves, they held pressure fine. However, once I put them on the bike and left them standing, the front wheel ONLY went completely flat. Like FLAT flat within 3 hours. Really bugs me and I can't figure out why.

Will go out buy a bottle of vittoria pit stop tmrw and see if it helps.. but has anyone else experienced this?

By all means get that stuff, but don't use it yet. Figure out what the problem is first before you start doing irreversible things, besides if you don't know where the leak is coming from how will you ensure that the gunk gets to the right place?

I am assuming that they are new tyres.

The greatest likelihood is that it is leaking from the valve which being Vittoria are likely to be screwed together in two places. I reckon one of these joins is a tad loose. One is down near where it enters the tyre itself, the other is the valve core which screws into the valve tube. There are special plastic tools that fit the flats on the valve core but if you don't have one of them, the really cheap spoke keys with six sizes often have one that will fit (10 or 11 from memory). Otherwise you're stuck with little shifters etc. If it is loose you may be able to seal it by simply tightening, but you could help the sealing along with grease on the threads, or plumbers tape etc.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby lasertip » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks Cameron,

Will try it and let you know how it goes :)
It's all in your head.
lasertip

Postby lasertip » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Problem found.

Got a torch and found a tiny rock lodged in the tyre. Never experienced this with my Specialized turbo comp or Schwalbe ultremos. In fact, this is the first flat that I've had in 2 years (and no, the bikes have been on the roads, not sitting in the living room :D )

Time to get vittoria pitstop and think about which tubs to get next...
It's all in your head.
lasertip

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 pm

lasertip wrote:Problem found.

Got a torch and found a tiny rock lodged in the tyre. Never experienced this with my Specialized turbo comp or Schwalbe ultremos. In fact, this is the first flat that I've had in 2 years (and no, the bikes have been on the roads, not sitting in the living room :D )

Time to get vittoria pitstop and think about which tubs to get next...

Vittoria don't make the most durable Tubulars - they are fast though!

Continental make a Gatorskin tubular that might be better for you?
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Return to Buying a bike / parts