Subtle/minimalist video camera

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby boss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi all.

Looking for suggestions on a subtle camera to ride with.

Don't want it to be too obvious simply cause I think it's a little dorky!

Also curious about what mounting points people use.

Thanks in advance!
boss
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

by BNA » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Have a good flick thru "Video Camera, Who uses one"
Standout for me is http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1800 have a look and will see the sunglasses
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4565
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby scirocco » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, I admit I'm biased, but I think this one doesn't look too dorky, and doesn't spoil a nice road bike the way the "camera-shaped" cameras do:

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... start=1426
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby boss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Have a good flick thru "Video Camera, Who uses one"
Standout for me is http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1800 have a look and will see the sunglasses


I've checked that thread a little bit, but honestly it just goes on and on, hard to distinguish between idle discussion and actual talk of what's good, what's not, etc.

I like the shades idea but not a huge fan of their form factor, I prefer sunglasses that are Oakley radar style (no frame around the bottom edges). I find the frame obscures my vision, bad times!

scirocco wrote:Well, I admit I'm biased, but I think this one doesn't look too dorky, and doesn't spoil a nice road bike the way the "camera-shaped" cameras do:

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... start=1426


I don't mind that. The form factor is much nicer than a gopro.
boss
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby scirocco » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 pm

jimboss wrote:I don't mind that. The form factor is much nicer than a gopro.


The older Contour HD 1080s could also do 60 frame per second video so you don't get the jelly effect that a lot of mobile cameras get in bike applications filming at 30 fps. Here's some youtube footage (the original played on the PC is MUCH better than this):

scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 am

jimboss wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Have a good flick thru "Video Camera, Who uses one"
Standout for me is http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1800 have a look and will see the sunglasses


I've checked that thread a little bit, but honestly it just goes on and on, hard to distinguish between idle discussion and actual talk of what's good, what's not, etc.

I like the shades idea but not a huge fan of their form factor, I prefer sunglasses that are Oakley radar style (no frame around the bottom edges). I find the frame obscures my vision, bad times!

scirocco wrote:Well, I admit I'm biased, but I think this one doesn't look too dorky, and doesn't spoil a nice road bike the way the "camera-shaped" cameras do:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1426


I don't mind that. The form factor is much nicer than a gopro.


You mean like this?
Image
It has a camera in the middle...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4565
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby boss » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:43 am

Baalzamon wrote:
jimboss wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Have a good flick thru "Video Camera, Who uses one"
Standout for me is http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37405&start=1800 have a look and will see the sunglasses


I've checked that thread a little bit, but honestly it just goes on and on, hard to distinguish between idle discussion and actual talk of what's good, what's not, etc.

I like the shades idea but not a huge fan of their form factor, I prefer sunglasses that are Oakley radar style (no frame around the bottom edges). I find the frame obscures my vision, bad times!

scirocco wrote:Well, I admit I'm biased, but I think this one doesn't look too dorky, and doesn't spoil a nice road bike the way the "camera-shaped" cameras do:

http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... start=1426


I don't mind that. The form factor is much nicer than a gopro.


You mean like this?
Image
It has a camera in the middle...


Ahhh sheeesh. In my mind I had them as a Oakley jawbone style design. Tempting.
Last edited by boss on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
boss
 
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby fingy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm

this is my set up its a 720p ebay keychain cam and battery
Image
User avatar
fingy
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Subtle/minimalist video camera

Postby eeksll » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 pm

+1 to the OP.

I am willing to pay for the contour, but just not willing to wear the damn thing :(. The go pro is even worse, the form factor just doesn't work anywhere :!:

The under stem mount is interesting though.
eeksll
 
Posts: 1275
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:36 pm


Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot], Pottsy, warthog1



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter