Racing and Commuter wheelset under 400aud

Mingjiemj2012

Racing and Commuter wheelset under 400aud

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi guys newbies here. Currently I am riding azzurri forza elite (AT) average speed of 24/27km per hour. Normally cycle twice a week with each route 30km. However also use it as commuter bike to UQ which is 4km away from my house.

Getting more involved in cycling sport, I found that the Shimano WH-R500 Wheelset seem to be a bit slow with my current speed now :( . So would like to consider a new wheelset for both racing and commuter uses.

Have done some research online with a budget below 400aud and here is my short list :
Mavic cosmic elite
Fulcrum racing 5
Fulcrum racing Quattro
Reynold solitude
Easton ea50 sl
Prolite como

Which one should I choose if wanna to have a stiff (heavier) yet fast (lighter) wheel? :? Thanks for any advice and would happy to get some other recommendations.

Ozkaban

Re: Racing and Commuter wheelset under 400aud

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Pro lite Braccianos for $399 would fit the bill nicely. Awesome for the money. Don't know about the comos.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Not to harsh your vibe, but i've done my hilly 42km commute at an average of 36kmh and i don't find R500s slow or heavy. As far as stiffness goes i feel they are stiffer than Mavic Aksiums, but not as stiff as Shimano RS80 C24s. But if you want different wheels go for it, wheels can be as personal as saddles and bars, some people don't like R500s and Aksiums, i reckon they're great.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 pm

wow that amazing u achieve that speed.. cool

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Just takes practice :) . There was a bloke on strava who did a section of my commute at an average of 47.6kmh, that takes LOTS of practice!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Pro lite Braccianos for $399 would fit the bill nicely. Awesome for the money. Don't know about the comos.
for sub $400 and racing - the braccianos for sure. leave the r500s for commuting (just need cassette, tyres and tubes and you have swap in/out wheelsets)

EDIT: I have the comos and use them for commuting - heavy tough and cheap - perfect for commuting.
the braccianos are on my road bike. have only done 100kms. they feel like they hold speed up hills better (vs the wheels that came with my bike)

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Pro lite Braccianos for $399 would fit the bill nicely. Awesome for the money. Don't know about the comos.
I know my opinion pales in comparison to others on here, but I went from a Shimano WH-R550 wheelset to the Comos and whilst I've only put about 200Km on them, I am VERY impressed, they are quicker - despite being a smidgen heavier, they roll well, are smooth and stay true - lots of shite roads where I live.

In saying that, if the OP has a budget of $400 or so, I reckon the Braccianos would suit him to a tee. Pro-Lite are also very good to deal with.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:10 am

sorry to say that I have not much understanding on Prolite as i used to know Sram Mavic Fulcrum Easton.. may be is time to get more info on Prolite

so just comparison Bracciano and Como is like Fulcrum Racing 5 with racing 7? I refer to the rank

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:54 am

don't know which fulcrums they compare against. Here's a review where they are compared against other wheelsets:

http://2011.pro-lite.net/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=48

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm

thanks for sharing the link.. Looking through it n did get some knowledge bout the wheel..

Easton ea90 slx seem awesome but the price is bit over budget :shock: at the same time have more tendency toward prolite wheelset now

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 pm

I would have a read of reviews of the eastons before you decide to buy

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 90crx.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:16 am

Bearing in mind that there are a lot of negative reviews out there on Mavic Aksiums but i have 2 or 3 sets that i have ridden everywhere, even on rough gravel roads and never had a problem. Just playing devil's advocate as it were, they may not be as bad as they sound.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 am

Mingjiemj2012 wrote: Mavic cosmic elite
Fulcrum racing 5
Fulcrum racing Quattro
Reynold solitude
Easton ea50 sl
Prolite como

Which one should I choose if wanna to have a stiff (heavier) yet fast (lighter) wheel? :? Thanks for any advice and would happy to get some other recommendations.
Out of these I would choose the Reynold's Solitude, But I would go custom. A set of Kinlin XR-270 laced 24/28 (depending on how much you weigh) with CX-Rays to some BHS hubs should easily fit your budget and be much lighter than the options you have mentioned. You will either need to build these wheels up yourself or find someone to do it for you.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 am

ldrcycles wrote:Bearing in mind that there are a lot of negative reviews out there on Mavic Aksiums but i have 2 or 3 sets that i have ridden everywhere, even on rough gravel roads and never had a problem. Just playing devil's advocate as it were, they may not be as bad as they sound.
Depends often on your weight as to what your experience will be.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:51 am

81kg at the moment but used to be around 87-90 and was over 100 for a little while. I have had broken spokes on a couple of basic wheels (Shimano non series hubs/Alex rims, and a Stars wheelset) and i keep tearing spokes out of the rear wheel on my old Apollo (which is likely as not just the age of it).

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:39 pm

these
http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:03 pm

usernameforme wrote:
Out of these I would choose the Reynold's Solitude, But I would go custom. A set of Kinlin XR-270 laced 24/28 (depending on how much you weigh) with CX-Rays to some BHS hubs should easily fit your budget and be much lighter than the options you have mentioned. You will either need to build these wheels up yourself or find someone to do it for you.
i think i wouldnt choose to own build the wheel coz i have not much experience on this.. anyway why would u choose reynold solitude?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 am

I would choose the Reynolds Solitude because it is built around a very solid rim and replacement spokes and parts are very easy to source (not proprietary). My only gripe about them is the internal nipples, but if you don't plan to do your own maintenance then they should cause you no issues. Check out bicycle wheel warehouse for some semi-custom builds if you don't feel confident in building it up yourself. The hopetech wheels mentioned above is also an example of a "semi-custom" build. Don't be fooled by the higher claimed weight, the rims would be the lightest mentioned so far, especially if you go with the stan's option (those rims can build into 1300g race wheels). How much do you weigh?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

macca33 wrote:
I know my opinion pales in comparison to others on here, but I went from a Shimano WH-R550 wheelset to the Comos and whilst I've only put about 200Km on them, I am VERY impressed, they are quicker - despite being a smidgen heavier, they roll well, are smooth and stay true - lots of shite roads where I live.

In saying that, if the OP has a budget of $400 or so, I reckon the Braccianos would suit him to a tee. Pro-Lite are also very good to deal with.

cheers
The Como's do well as they have the 30mm rim profile and bladed spokes, the bearings for a cup and cone setup are really smooth compared to some other brands. For sure they arn't light but you can't have it all for such a low price point :-)

If you can afford the Bracciano's they'll be a faster wheel and nicer to ride no doubt.

I know some guys are training/commuting on Como's and saving the Bracciano's for the weekend rides and racing. In the scheme of things the Bracciano is not an expensive wheelset, most riders would put them on and leave them. Wear them out and hopefully buy another set.

It is a little hard to go back to a lower end wheelset after riding something like the Bracciano. Feel free to PM me if you have any technical questions.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Mingjiemj2012 wrote:thanks for sharing the link.. Looking through it n did get some knowledge bout the wheel..

Easton ea90 slx seem awesome but the price is bit over budget :shock: at the same time have more tendency toward prolite wheelset now
The Easton's are very good wheels, more suited to someone who does a lot of steep climbing.
You're probably better off going for a slightly deeper profile rim 27 - 32mm.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Scratch the idea of Reynolds Solitude, If you can get the Pro Lite Bracciano for $278 off c r c with the code COLD250 then thats probably the best bang for buck you'll find, If you are under 75kg then you shouldn't have any issues commuting on it (just my view, best to listen to the pro-lite sales rep) price is very similar to what the XR-270 build would cost with a similar spec. That said you are limited to silver if you need a shimano freehub. If you weigh slightly more Bicyclewheelwarehouse have some nice options (such as an ultegra/open pro build that will fit your budget and uses

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

usernameforme wrote:Scratch the idea of Reynolds Solitude, If you can get the Pro Lite Bracciano for $278 off c r c with the code COLD250 then thats probably the best bang for buck you'll find, If you are under 75kg then you shouldn't have any issues commuting on it (just my view, best to listen to the pro-lite sales rep) price is very similar to what the XR-270 build would cost with a similar spec. That said you are limited to silver if you need a shimano freehub. If you weigh slightly more Bicyclewheelwarehouse have some nice options (such as an ultegra/open pro build that will fit your budget and uses
Dunno about the 75kg limit on the braccianos. I'm 85kg and have had them on the bike for nearly 3k now. Still appear to be in as new condition... I commute and go for club rides on them but I don't race.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I suggested 75kg because that seemed to me like the upper limit for a build like this to be ridden day in day out on varying terrain. 20/24 on a commuter wheel seems a little low to me for someone of around 85kg

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 pm

usernameforme wrote:I suggested 75kg because that seemed to me like the upper limit for a build like this to be ridden day in day out on varying terrain. 20/24 on a commuter wheel seems a little low to me for someone of around 85kg
Whoops! I'm in trouble.

I have put on some weight and peaked at 94kg. I hope my Braccianos can take the weight until I can get my weight down to me normal 85kg.

But hang on I'm still too heavy. :(
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 pm

what is the wheelset that are relatively same level with the prolite bracciano wheelset? refer to shimano, easton, fulcrum n the list goes.. i think would be far more effective to compare through this