US bike stores

Vanquish

US bike stores

Postby Vanquish » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering besides ebay...what are the biggest stores in the US that ship to Australia? just after cycling gear.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Jensons seem to be the biggest, but freight is going to kill you. They have a minimum freight charge of $65.

Check out PBK or Chain Reaction.

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - Google is your friend. You can hunt down the URLs ....;))
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:03 pm

I've just ordered clothing from www.ridebikeprogear.com . I've never used them before but a friend has and he raves about them. They are about the same cost as PBK but much more stock than PBK currently have. There are different options for delivery mine was $12 for a two to three week delivery time, you can pay more and get the gear earlier if you are in a hurry.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:15 pm

You can get occasional good deals. When I got my Campy groupset from EuroBikeParts.com, they threw in free shipping along with a fantastic price.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Having spent the last few weeks combing the internet for the best deals to be had on the stuff I need to upgrade my bike I'd offer that the UK shops are generally better value than their US counterparts. Prices for the bits are usually comparable (though US sourced stuff can be quite cheap and Euro stuff more expensive in American stores, for obvious reasons I suppose), but for some reason freight from the US is a killer. Some places also give you a fair amount of ordering hassle if you are not using a US credit card (Performance Bike being a case in point). But you never know what deals you'll find so you could try out:

www.excelsports.com
www.teamcyclist.com
www.performancebike.com
www.nashbar.com
www.beyondbikes.com
www.eurobikeparts.com
www.smartbikeparts.com

The ones that use the US Postal Service (USPS) seem to offer the best freight but as soon as they start talking FedEx and the like forget it.

After checking all those out I ended up back at Ribble, PBK and Chain Reaction in the UK. At AUD$18.99 PBK seems to have the best freight option there is - now if they would just sort out their logistics/stock system.

Cheers
Jean

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 pm

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:54 pm

Agree that the UK may give you better deals

Try:
www.sjscycles.co.uk (bloody fantastic, huge range - want to buy a rubber foot for your kickstand? They have it!)
www.this link is broken
www.dotbike.com

In the US a selection of sites that will ship stuff for reasonable rates include:
www.wallbike.com (iconic touring components and gear)
www.velo-orange.com (Lots of older NOS components)
www.aebike.com
www.pedaltheplanet.com
www.thetouringstore.com (for touring gear, panniers, racks, etc)
www.tullios.com (for retro style bikes and gear)
www.thethirdhand.com (great range of small parts and NOS components)
www.probikekit.com (for road bike components)

Oh, and if you want to buy Ortlieb panniers, use the German sites - much cheaper, but do ask them to take off the German VAT
www.unterwegs.biz
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:16 pm

Nothing to add, just want to be able to reference this thread later on..... :wink:

Actually, I did receive a small order from ProBikeKit (UK) last week within five days of ordering :)

dub

Postby dub » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:49 am

I bought my helmet from www.biketiresdirect.com

Ordered via the net (no personal contact) and the goods arrived within the prescibed time for the basic postage. Their tracking system kept me informed of where the order was at. Freight was about US$30.

It was a no dramas purchase and an absolute bargain at the end of the day.
Last edited by dub on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:30 pm

yep, biketiresdirect.com and speedgoat.com are great, usually about $25 post so order a few things but not wheels or framesets. Keep your order below $1000 (no SRAM groupsets eh?) or Aus customs will slug you import duties.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri May 02, 2008 9:26 am

To highlight the freight costs from the US, last week I placed a fairly large order with Ribble in the UK which included among other things a cassette, cable set, chain, chain whip, cable cutters and cassette lockring tool - so reasonably large and heavy. The shipping cost was less than GBP10; a touch over $20 by present exchange rates.

Last night I placed an order with Excel Sports in Boulder (US) for a set of ergo brake hoods (8-speed which I've not been able to find with UK suppliers), a set of Campagnolo brake pads and a couple of those single LED backup lights (Knog Frogs). Not a large pacakage by any means but shipping was US$28, which is AUD$30 by today's exchange rate.

Cheers
Jean

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 02, 2008 9:46 am

US will be expensive if they use couriers. Much cheaper by US Postal Service. However, many stores refuse to use USPS due to a lack of tracking information and handling risks.

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am

Jean wrote: After checking all those out I ended up back at Ribble, PBK and Chain Reaction in the UK. At AUD$18.99 PBK seems to have the best freight option there is - now if they would just sort out their logistics/stock system.

Cheers
Jean
I agree, very succinct summary of pbk. I have found the U.K stores better also, just have to buy in advance with pbk. Have also tried www.trisports.com for a set of clip on aero bars, pretty good $25 U.S freight just over 3 weeks delivery time though

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri May 02, 2008 9:55 am

sogood wrote:US will be expensive if they use couriers. Much cheaper by US Postal Service. However, many stores refuse to use USPS due to a lack of tracking information and handling risks.
My order is coming by USPS - but yes the courier company rates from the US are extortionate.

miss min

Postby miss min » Fri May 02, 2008 10:02 am

If you find a REAL bargain in the US you can always use a freight forwarding company. They can even buy on your behalf. I ordered some hiking gear and a helmet, and had them forwarded on.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 02, 2008 10:15 am

Jean wrote:My order is coming by USPS - but yes the courier company rates from the US are extortionate.
USPS also have different levels of service. If they used the same level as used by PBK, then the difference isn't that bad. At the end of the day, there are still good deals and arrangements from the US. It's a matter of being selective and ask for an alternative postal option.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri May 02, 2008 10:31 am

miss min wrote:If you find a REAL bargain in the US you can always use a freight forwarding company. They can even buy on your behalf. I ordered some hiking gear and a helmet, and had them forwarded on.
My wife has been thinking about using one of these (for non cycling stuff), can you make a recommendation?

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Fri May 02, 2008 10:34 am

There is a similar list going on the BV site.
Some people have added their ratings and postage costs etc.
You can find it here
It seems to be updated fairly frequently.
Happy Shopping!

miss min

Postby miss min » Fri May 02, 2008 11:08 am

www.boxvoyage.com They give personalised service. Recently they were a little slow, but once I reiterated how important it was that I have my item quickly, he refunded all postage and handling fees. I was impressed!

Oh, and Jean, ordering online is addictive. I am fast becoming a shoeaholic! Sure you wanna tell your wife about this service :wink:

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri May 02, 2008 1:05 pm

miss min wrote: Oh, and Jean, ordering online is addictive. I am fast becoming a shoeaholic! Sure you wanna tell your wife about this service :wink:
Yeah, bike stuff aside a lot of our shopping is online now. I don't think we're adicted, but it sure is nice not to have to go to a Westfield.

miss min

Postby miss min » Fri May 02, 2008 2:59 pm

I agree. The choice is great, and it means you can almost always buy on special! The camping stuff I brought is significantly cheaper than if I bought it in Oz, not to mention all those shoes and clothes!
Jean wrote:
miss min wrote: Oh, and Jean, ordering online is addictive. I am fast becoming a shoeaholic! Sure you wanna tell your wife about this service :wink:
Yeah, bike stuff aside a lot of our shopping is online now. I don't think we're adicted, but it sure is nice not to have to go to a Westfield.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 04, 2008 10:24 am

sogood wrote:US will be expensive if they use couriers. Much cheaper by US Postal Service. However, many stores refuse to use USPS due to a lack of tracking information and handling risks.
US freight costs can be ok if you are selective, with both the store and the shipping.

I ordered a small package (chain, 2 small cassettes) from Loose Screws www.thirdhand.com and they ship international airmail, for $US15.90. A Pedros workstand that I've ordered from aebike is a bigger ticket item. Shipped airmail for $US36.95, and there is tracking on this.

All these items are either significantly cheaper than I could get in the locals shops or, as with the 5 sp cassettes, just not available at all locally.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."