Cold weather gloves

warthog1

Re: Cold weather gloves

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
jimboss wrote:The proof 100 gloves might be a little overkill!

I should mention that my hands, wrapped in open finger Chiba gloves were fine. It was just my fingers that were really hurting.

The assos gloves look about right but twice what I want to pay right now! Any sub $50 recommendations?

I need to remember to mention price range when asking advice, you really can spent as much as you want to on gear hey.
Fox Polarpaw - motocross gloves for the cooler mornings are about $40 from the motorcycle shop and work a treat for me on those frosty mornings.

Failing that...any standard membrane lined glove like these from 3 Peaks for $20 http://www.3peaks.com.au/Gloves-5/Tevoi ... l-Glove-34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thread dredge sorry, using the search function :)

How cold are we talking SBD?

I have 3 pairs of winter gloves but below zero they just aren't cutting it :x Numb weak fingers.
Motocross sounds like a good option, they should handle the wind chill factor, yet retain some feel and you avoid the $tandard cycling mark up :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I managed to pick up a pair of Aldi branded Thinsulate 40g snow gloves for $12 today. Windproof, waterproof and comfortable. I've been riding with polarfleece lined Big W sourced leather gloves that are now full of wear holes after 3 years of use and were a bit chilly on Friday's -4 commute in Canberra. One of the guys at work recommended seeing if there were any gloves left at Aldi, however warned me they might be too warm.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Thanks Lobster. There are a few aldi stores here so I'll check them out.

sminns

Postby sminns » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:39 pm

While this is up...I use Sealskin gloves (from Wiggle I think) and I highly recommend them for cold and wet conditions, they are my fave piece of gear to wear at the moment! I even wear them to work on my train commute! I ride after 8pm each night so I've prob worn them in 10c minimum.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Recently bought some Giordana Sottozero gloves, toasty warm, almost impossible to get on if your hands are wet or damp. Prior to that was just using Defeet Durawool gloves but they are no good for really cold temps. Would like it if somebody would make 2 piece gloves like something similar to the Defeet's as an inner which is ok above 6-7 degrees and thin a waterproof outer similar to a dishwashing glove with some insulation and a velcro wrist strap that you can take off when the weather warms up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:43 pm

I've got the sottozeros also, wore them this morning at ~ 0c.
I was using them for the bush hanky so probably got a little damp. They didn't cut it, fingers went numb. They are the warmest of the 3 pairs I've got though.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 pm

First time use of the Aldi gloves this morning. It was raining and windy, but not overly cold (about +5 degrees). My hands were a bit too warm and I felt quite hot by the end of the ride because of it. No water got through. They did provide a decent amount of comfort in terms of padding and didn't cramp up my hands like some gloves have when new.

I think on the +ve temp mornings I'll stick to the old gloves and wear the Aldi gloves in the -ves

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 am

lobstermash wrote:First time use of the Aldi gloves this morning. It was raining and windy, but not overly cold (about +5 degrees). My hands were a bit too warm and I felt quite hot by the end of the ride because of it. No water got through. They did provide a decent amount of comfort in terms of padding and didn't cramp up my hands like some gloves have when new.

I think on the +ve temp mornings I'll stick to the old gloves and wear the Aldi gloves in the -ves
There is an aldi across the road at work. Got some ski gloves tonight. I'll ride home with them in the morning.
$12 the price was right. :)
Thanks Lobster.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 am

I've got the thermal waterproof gloves from sealskinz... They are awesome...
I'm a cold fish so I'm wearing full length thermals and 3 layers as soon as the temp drops below 20. The sealskinz worked well on very wet n icy rides like 3peaks, and doubled well for use in the snow in NZ...

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj99 ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 pm

I bought the Aldi ones. Best gloves so far, and I reckon I have a whole draw full of gloves.
I picked up a second pair when down the coast. People down there don't seem to be into snow gear for some reason. :roll: :lol:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 am

Gave the aldi gloves a run this morning at 0c and they were good. Hands stayed warm for the 55 mins I was on the bike.
Used the balaclava also. Pretty hard to keep it snot free in the cold weather.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 pm

My only complaint with them is that my hand cramps when changing up a lot of gears to stop/slow down (105) and when engaging the brake for a prolonged period.

I wore them this morning, despite it being quite toasty (about 8/9 in Tuggeranong). Didn't heat up too badly actually.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Tried some new gloves today (BBB). Discovered long, steep descents are a great test. Gloves were slightly too small :-( but warm once not pulled tight.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:44 pm

lobstermash wrote:My only complaint with them is that my hand cramps when changing up a lot of gears to stop/slow down (105) and when engaging the brake for a prolonged period.

I wore them this morning, despite it being quite toasty (about 8/9 in Tuggeranong). Didn't heat up too badly actually.
Hand cramps means you are gripping too tight to compensate for a lack of "feel". You need to consciously loosen your grip when riding.
Compared to other sub-zero capable gloves, I find them pretty good, certainly a lot better than my "lobster" gloves where I struggled to shift gears and my thumbs were still cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:25 am

I bought some Aldi gloves recently but don't like them. They keep my hands warm enough but I don't like the feel of the glove liner. It seems to stay still while the outer moves or vice versa. It's kinda hard to explain.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:10 am

Ross wrote:I bought some Aldi gloves recently but don't like them. They keep my hands warm enough but I don't like the feel of the glove liner. It seems to stay still while the outer moves or vice versa. It's kinda hard to explain.
Any of the gloves with lots of insulation do this. My lobster gloves are a shocker.

Just of out interest - I bough TWO pairs of the Aldi ones, one pair (black) has a smooth inner, the other one (light blue) is like a 'fleece' inside, everything else is identical. Which ones did you get?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 am

warthog1 wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:
Fox Polarpaw - motocross gloves for the cooler mornings are about $40 from the motorcycle shop and work a treat for me on those frosty mornings.

Failing that...any standard membrane lined glove like these from 3 Peaks for $20 http://www.3peaks.com.au/Gloves-5/Tevoi ... l-Glove-34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thread dredge sorry, using the search function :)

How cold are we talking SBD?

I have 3 pairs of winter gloves but below zero they just aren't cutting it :x Numb weak fingers.
Motocross sounds like a good option, they should handle the wind chill factor, yet retain some feel and you avoid the $tandard cycling mark up :)
I've used them down to -2 and they were fine. They don't like cold and damp though and in these circumstances will transmit some frigidness to the fingers.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 am

twizzle wrote: Hand cramps means you are gripping too tight to compensate for a lack of "feel". You need to consciously loosen your grip when riding.
Compared to other sub-zero capable gloves, I find them pretty good, certainly a lot better than my "lobster" gloves where I struggled to shift gears and my thumbs were still cold!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm also getting used riding on the drops (new bike), which is probably exacerbating the issue.

My gloves are the 'ski' gloves, which has polarfleece-type inners. When putting them on, you need to pull by the outer layer to keep the inners flush with the shell. Stays that way once I grab the bars.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:I bought some Aldi gloves recently but don't like them. They keep my hands warm enough but I don't like the feel of the glove liner. It seems to stay still while the outer moves or vice versa. It's kinda hard to explain.
Any of the gloves with lots of insulation do this. My lobster gloves are a shocker.

Just of out interest - I bough TWO pairs of the Aldi ones, one pair (black) has a smooth inner, the other one (light blue) is like a 'fleece' inside, everything else is identical. Which ones did you get?
Ones with blue highlight/trim bits and fleece inners. Rebel Sport appear to have the same ones but with red highlights/trim bits (not sure about the inside, haven't tried them on) for $19

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj99 ... black.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have this too, and is awesome.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

My aldi specials are the ski gloves. Only worn them once so far but they stay together better when taking them off than the sotto zeros I also have.
For $12 I am happy and will grab another set when and if they sell them again. They are warm and I can gift gear and brake effectively wearing them. I struggle to do either with numb fingers.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 pm

They usually have snow gear sales at about the same time every year (first/second week of June).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
I've used them down to -2 and they were fine. They don't like cold and damp though and in these circumstances will transmit some frigidness to the fingers.

Thanks for that, sounds similar to my sotto zeros. They don't work too well when damp, problem is my nose runs like a tap in the cold weather :x

ShogunHy

Postby ShogunHy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Pearl Izumi Elite soft shell gloves ...
Shogun Metro SE Flat Bar Hybrid - Circa late 90's
Specialized Sirrus Comp - 2011

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:15 pm

I keep a set of thin latex medical/food service gloves under my seat. Combined with my winter long finger MTB race gloves they block the wind/seal in body heat.
I learnt this trick racing road motorcycles at 200 kmh + with thin race gloves for maximum feel.