Not me.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Two words: eBay. Avoid.

OK, maybe a few more.... :lol:

These bikes are able to be sold consistently so cheaply for a reason. You will likely be a source of vast amusement at your local bike shop workshop for being so gullible. That's if they decide to allow you in. Many of the better bike workshops refuse to service these ebay el-cheapo-nasties as the quality is generally poor. Consequently, they very likely to be difficult to tune and keep in tune as components wear, and therefore the risk of them looking bad for no fault of their own is high.

Yes, these bikes do sometimes have reasonable componentry in some areas like Tiagra DRs and shifters, but corners are cut in other areas such as flimsy, flexy cranks, heavy and/or soft wheels and cruddy hubs and pedals that get crunchy real fast, to name a few.

I can't remember who said it but the following is quite apt for bikes: "Cheap. Light Strong. Choose any two."

If ebay is your preferred purchasing channel, you are better to buy a name brand bike no more than a few years old second hand. However, unless you are experienced enough to know exactly what your fit requirements are I'd recommend going to your LBS and getting fitted up properly by a knowledgeable person to a bike you've test ridden.

Good fit is vital to your long-term enjoyment and wellbeing.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:53 pm

I have seen two Samito folding bikes. They're cheaply made. Like a lot of eBay brands, they seem to have an inflated "RRP" to make their price look cheaper.

I'd steer clear and look for a bike shop brand of what you want. If it's cheaper there is always a reason.

oldboy5

Re: Has anyone heard of the brand Samito

Postby oldboy5 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:25 pm

Yes I have a 21 down hill Samito mountain bike. shocks front and back. rear shock fully adjustable. twist grip gears. disc brakes. gear bike

oldboy5

Postby oldboy5 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 pm

I disagree with the chap who said Samito are cheap and nasty. They have top brand gears . sold frame Two knives DX3000 wheels. they handle very well on the mountain tracks

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Looks like we are ressurecting an old thread from 2008.

A trick of some retailers / brands is to put a single Shimano component on a bike - even the cheapest / simplest across their entire range and then announce it as a Shimano equipped bike.

If you are happy with the bike and it is safe a does what you want, then great. However these type of bikes are very basic and very cheap. The quality, assembly and safety is often questionable and are created and marketed to appeal to people with limited knowledge of bicycles.