Shoe size - Sidi vs. Mavic

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Shoe size - Sidi vs. Mavic

Postby open roader » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:24 pm

From what I can gather both here and elsewhere, the concensus is that Sidi cycling shoes are broadly considered approx. one size smaller than many other brands of cycling shoe.

I currently ride Mavic shoes - anyone with sizing experience of Mavic versus Sidi? Any advances on the general statement I made above?

I'm not interested in width comparisons so much as actual shoe sizing........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

by BNA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 pm

BNA

Re: Shoe size - Sidi vs. Mavic

Postby NhiTrac » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Don't know bout Mavic.

Specialized 45 fits me like a glove. Beautiful fit and will probably pick these up in a few months.

Sidi 45 is too short and extremely narrow. No room for toe wiggling.
Currently using Sidi 46 which is a touch too long and still a tad too narrow, but doable. In hindsight I should've wait for stock of 45.5 Megas but was in a rush to buy...
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

I was looking to replace my sidi pro 5s with some mavic zxelliums.

Sidi's were a EU42, i tried the Mavic EUR42 and they were too long.

So id say they are a tad bigger (the mavics)

I have to say on the box of the mavic it says 42 & 2/3 while sidi is a flat 42, however both reckon its a US9.

Im currently ini gaernes and find they are perfecty in between (sidis were a tad small in a 42)
jaseyjase

Postby scirocco » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I have found Sidi's to be on the small side, like most comments you'll find on the internet. I would say go one Euro size larger than your regular shoes, not one Aus size.

I have a pair of both the Genius and the Ergo. I think the Ergo have a fraction more length inside although they look identical to the Genius on the outside. I reckon I could have got away with not going one size larger with the Ergos.
scirocco

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Sidi 42 is a bit small while 42 in a Giro is spot on - I odn't think it's a full size difference though.

Have also tried on a Mavic in a 42 which felt pretty good.

Hope it helps
Jim
jimh

Postby martin_12 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am

I had to go to a 42.5 in Sidi after wearing 42 Shimano for a few years.
The 42.5 Sidi is a tiny bit more snug than the 42 Shimano, so the difference is probably a little more than a half size.
martin_12

Postby open roader » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:06 pm

OK, a good tight pattern of opinion forming here............. thank you.
open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

I can now answer my own question here.

Recently purchased a pair of size 45 Sidi Wire shoes and still ride in a pair of size 44 Mavic Zxellium Ultimate shoes.

I find my Mavic shoes closely match many other shoes I wear - incl. sports, casual and formal size 44 shoes.

I got out out the scales and calipers for an external measure up and weigh in session and this is what I found :-

Mavic Zxellium Ultimate size 44 (295 grams naked - without cleat)

Actual carbon sole length 284mm
Actual carbon sole width (at widest point) 94mm
Actual O.D. width of shoe (at widest Point) 102mm
Actual overall shoe length 294mm

Sidi Wire Vent size 45 (305 grams naked - without cleat)

Actual carbon sole length 280mm
Actual carbon sole width (at widest point) 94mm
Actual O.D. width of shoe (at widest Point) 100mm
Actual overall shoe length (excluding protruding heel retention clamp) 300mm

I consider my foot neither wide nor particularly narrow and I have regular arch lift. Both these pairs of shoes feel very similar in fitment, my left foot is a tad wider than my right and I'm pleased that both the Mavic and the Sidi have just enough internal room for my foot spread. Of course the Mavic shoes are 3+ years now old but they remain remarkably stiff in the uppers compared to a brand new pair of Sidi Wires.

It's suggested in a few places that the new Sidi sizes are a fraction more generous than previous models - this I cannot comment on, however, I believe it's fair observation that Sidi shoes are indeed close to being one shoe size smaller than many other shoe brands.
open roader

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I've never tried Mavic shoes but I'm on my third pair of Sidi's and have found them true to my normal shoe size, unlike Shimano which I find narrow enough to force me up a size.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 pm

I bought a set of mavic's yesterday... Zxellium Ultimates in size 46 2/3 . 2nd ride on them today and they weren't too bad. I had been on the same pair of Shimano custom fits for nearly 6 years. I also tried the Sidi's in the biggest size they had 46... they were small for a 46 and my toes were crunched up. I also have winter Sidi's in 46 but they are too small... I can wear them but without the inner soles and with out the thicker socks I would have liked.
The only problem with the Mavics so far has been the cleat set up... even with the cleats right to one side I still rub on the crank a touch when climbing... oh that and the BRIGHT yellow colour!. But I am only home for 3 days and needed new shoes in a hurry... plus they gave me a great discount.
toolonglegs

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Sidi's tend to suit a narrow foot and I think their half sizes maybe wider.

With shoes I think its best to buy your first set of any new model/brand from a shop. Once you know size whatever in that make then its pretty safe to buy online.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby hitch » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Can't comment on comparison between Sidi and Mavic, but with regard to Sidi sizing, there is a sizing chart on Sidi's website, which I found to be very accurate. I normally wear a 43, but by the sizing chart I was a 45. Ordered from Wiggle, and they were perfect.

On another note, I've been looking to by a new pair of Sidi Dominator's, and have just emailed wiggle to find out when they'll have 45's back in stock, and they said that the model has been discontinued... Not. Happy. Particularly having found the perfect size...
hitch

Return to Buying a bike / parts