Permission granted. $2600 Firm

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Re: Permission granted. $2600 Firm

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Just change the length of the stem will help. That's how I've gone half steps in size on the Defy Adv.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm

usernameforme wrote:Thats a shame fixie82, I read somewhere that Giant Defy could also fill in the gaps for people caught in between the TCR sizing... Looks like your caught inbetween all of them.

@Wakatuki;
I'll be interested to see how the Giant dealer measures you up, those numbers just don't look right to me

@username for me.
Ok, XL. Say Giant, I have a long back. Cant get a ride, nothing larger than M/L in stock. So will try other Giant stockist.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 pm

If you have a long back and short legs, a TCR might actually fit you better, they have a longer top tube

bellarinebiker

Postby bellarinebiker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Before you buy anything test ride a Cannondale CAAD 10. Alu (carbon forks) I know but I just bought one and I love it! Smooth as considering its not carbon and my 60 cm complete bike weighed in under 8 kgs. Same geo as Liquigas and best made Alu frame going around. $2600 will get u Ultegra with Askium wheels if you shop around!

bellarinebiker

Postby bellarinebiker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:11 pm

My last bike was an '11 TCR and this is much stiffer and comfortable. Has a wider size range than Giant and z slightly taller HT

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:55 am

RIDE/TEST/RIDE/RIDE.
Borrowed a 58cm XL CR1 pro overnight with Ultegra. Took 2 minutes off the hill climb, but it has a compact a nice 34/30 but I wasn't too crazy about the downhill posting a time 2nd to the Raleigh! It was its my first time, but I was honestly stunned at the slower time, I felt faster but I could not tuck enough and didn't feel massively stable. It was better, but not $2400 better. :shock:

Told the shop owner about this and took his 56cm L Foil for a saunter around the car park, instant smile arrived on the face, could get lower and felt natural. Looking to borrow again overnight and hit the same little test loop again. :D

Now I could need an extra $200! Passing hat around...... :mrgreen:

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Unless you are stupidly strong you will lose far more time on the climb than you pickup on the descent, being able to spin shifts the load from your legs to your cardiovascular system, which once trained up lasts a hell of a lot longer.

This is where compact cranks work for those of us who can't ride 220kms and then crank out 1200W for the sprint at the finish.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm

So Phil,
Are you saying I'm unfit? I totally agree with you if you are!
I gather that the compact will be beneficial in the long term, for cardio and endurance. I didn't put it across very well but I bottled it on the downhill, still had 2 cogs left, but could not get the thing stable.
Taking a foil with di2 home tonight to test. It goes to 34/25 but can swap out on purchase. I can only afford foil40. But the wife has tiagra now. :cry: money taken from my pot.

Will let you know how I go.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Update,

Test drove the foil pro15 with Di2 Ultegra. I was shattered this morning but dragged myself out as I had to test this bike.
Now I am only a Foil 40 (105 only buyer) has spent too much on this cycling already. 
The wife is very happy with the Tiagra now its fitted with another burst of confidence and speed.
Back on track, loved it, felt great and performed as expected, not as still as some reviews have left me to believe.
It felt special too, unlike the CR1, strange how a machine can give you a 'soul' feeling.
I was reluctant to give it back. Enjoyed the DI2 also but back in the real world that would come with either a better income, or a small lotto win, unless LBS want's to heavily discount his demo. :P
Think this is the bike for me the TCR gave me no tingles either.. Only had an around the block experience on it and took it back after 10 minutes.
So thanks for following this post and making a newbie welcome. I have found my steed, now for the measure up and fine tuning.... :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Wakatuki wrote:...strange how a machine can give you a 'soul' feeling.
...I was reluctant to give it back...
...Think this is the bike for me the TCR gave me no tingles either...
Oh yeah, this feller gets it 8)
Wakatuki wrote:I have found my steed, now for the measure up and fine tuning.... :D
Not forgetting the pictures in the gallery :D

Have a ball in the wind.
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Disappointed you didn't like the TCR :roll: , but I'm glad you found "your" bike Enjoy it :mrgreen:

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Wakatuki wrote:So Phil,
Are you saying I'm unfit? I totally agree with you if you are!
I gather that the compact will be beneficial in the long term, for cardio and endurance. I didn't put it across very well but I bottled it on the downhill, still had 2 cogs left, but could not get the thing stable.
Taking a foil with di2 home tonight to test. It goes to 34/25 but can swap out on purchase. I can only afford foil40. But the wife has tiagra now. :cry: money taken from my pot.

Will let you know how I go.

Lol - not just you. I struggle on hills with a compact crank and 27 tooth rear ;-)

Had a chat with the manager of my LBS, and he reckoned that 90% of recreational riders would be better off with one over standards but , the 53/39s are what they buy cos that what the pros use - even though they are lucky to spend 20% of the time pros spend on the bike, and would be lucky to generate half the watts. /Soapbox Off

Grats on choosing the new bike. I refuse to go near Di2/EPS as I really don't want to try it, like it and have to buy it.

Benz250

Postby Benz250 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Congrats on the new bike, just picked up a Roubaix a week ago & loving it! Nothing like a new bike.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Deposit placed on bike, lbs will swap out to a 12-27 cassette but reluctant to let me go C/C at first.
Thinks I might regret it as I am on a 52-40/12-23 now and climbing grade 4-3. According to strava!
Bike should arrive Friday/ Monday latest.
Will stay on my old cages at first and learn clipping in on my old bike.
Gone for a L 56cm and we think possibly a 10mm extension on stem. But that's only me being a bit inflexible. Again will stay standard until first service and see how we go.
Am I allowed to mention where I purchased from? They did a great job.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Am I allowed to mention where I purchased from? They did a great job.
Yep, go for it. The good ones deserve the help.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:36 am

I would like to thank everyone for the input received. After re reading the thread this quote rang very true:
Fixie82 wrote:Moral of the story is get something you love riding, make sure you love the look of it and get it fitted. Or better yet go and get measured up and use that to rule out or in models based on size before you go test riding. Any bike will be comfortable if you are in the right position.
All advice was digested and considered.

I bought my bike from Revolution cycles on the Nicklin Way, Sunshine Coast Qld.
Impartial advice given no hard sell, just advice. He 'Russell' did not once bag another brand.
From the first frame discussion he had me picked as a Foil or Addict, but I moved to the CR~1 and other comfort bikes. Despite his constant "are you sure, the addict/Foil is not as firm as reported" He also arranged for a customer to loan me a personal ride overnight. So a BIG thanks to the Buddina Bandit! (owner of said CR~1)
So anyway, great advice received, pleasant experience. Thanks....

Also he didn't bag my old Raleigh and showed me his holiday touring old steel steed, proudly displayed in the shop and still used. A 15yr old vintage machine.
As for the Raleigh, I will get some pictures of the stable mates when the new one arrives. The Raleigh will be used to practice clipping in, then as time and money permits, stripped repainted, new Tiagra or similar set up for holidays with a C/C. The first upgrade will be wheels, as the Raleigh needs some, so maybe Easter this will all start again!

Alistair

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 am

Pictures in Gallery,

Raleigh is in Retro section.