Building a Titanium bike, any suggestions?

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Building a Titanium bike, any suggestions?

Postby drpants » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey folks,

I've been riding my CAAD10-105 for about a year now and enjoying it immensely! It's stock standard other than RS80 C24 wheels with 25mm GP4000s on them.
Dropped 10kg through a combination of diet and biking and still have another 8-10kg to lose still at 83kg atm
I'm 5"10 and could ride a 54 and 56 but went with a 54 due to availability. Slightly embarassingly the spacers are still all there and the stem is flipped upwards :oops:

Now, the idea of Titanium bikes have always intrigued me. They look great, relatively light and long-lasting!

I mostly commute on my bike for 10km each way 4-5 days a week, with occasional longer trips on the weekend.

I like the look of the Van Nicholas Euros, you guys have anything else I can consider for around $1-1.5k for the frame?
I'm quite happy with the 105, if I were to upgrade it'll be an Ultegra Di2 as I didn't notice much difference between the 105 and ultegra. Not sure if it's worth the extra grand and if cables are going to be a problem though...
Sram shifting isn't really for me but then again I've only done a quick test ride on a Rival one time, happy to hear your feedback.

So here's my build:
Frame: Van Nicholas Euros ~$1k
Groupset: full 105 ~$500
Seatpost: Van Nicholas Ti ~$100
Wheelset: Shimano RS80 C24 (re-used) $0
Fork:?
Stem&handlebar:?

What else would I need to purchase? Brake and Gear cables and that's about it?
Suggestions on Fork, stem and handlebars would be appreciated. I was thinking a pro-lite setup wouldn't be too bad but can I do better with a bit more cash?
I'd like to keep the cost of the build at 2-2.5k tops.

Any criticism are welcome! I know it's quite overkill for the task but I work 7 days a week atm and this is one of the few things I can splurge on and be able to enjoy! :mrgreen:
drpants

by BNA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

BNA

Re: Building a Titanium bike, any suggestions?

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

You'll spend a lot to find a fork better than the Pro-Lite Grande. That being said, I'd stick with your Dale - they really are a very good frame, probably a couple of hundred grams lighter than the Ti frame you are considering as well.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Return to Buying a bike / parts