buying a new road bike with clicking noise on braking

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

buying a new road bike with clicking noise on braking

Postby notmyrealname » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:15 pm

I was about to purchase a new alloy road bike with shimano 105 groupset and alex aero wheels.

Took it for a final test ride all good except when braking there is a periodic tick/click sound that decreases with speed. Hard to tell exactly where its coming from, seems to be near the brake.

Bike shop says this is normal although at first they came up with all sort of theories, even including gravel hitting the frame, then said they couldn't hear anything.

Coasting - ticking from rear wheel as expected

Braking - ticking from rear wheel as expected, plus scraping from brakes on rim as expected, plus a ticking sound seemingly once per wheel revolution that slows until stopped.
Accelerating - just the wind in my ears

It is loudest when front brakes applied, but still noticeable when only rear applied. The brakes seem to work good and pull up quickly.

The sound only appears if braking from around 15+ kmph, higher speed the more time for hearing the sound before stopping. Tried taking off the reflectors didn't make a difference.

Is this normal? Is it a new bike sound? Sure doesn't sound normal and they're trying to tell me it is the ticking from the rear wheel, maybe its coming through the frame but the noise is much louder than that ticking sound and only when brakes applied.

I want this bike as it's in my budget, fits and rides nice, but not sure if that sound is to be concerned about. It sure is annoying.

Cheers.
notmyrealname

by BNA » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 pm

BNA

Re: buying a new road bike with clicking noise on braking

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Check the rim - if the join is not flush this would be my vote for the most likely cause.
I couldn't say why it you would hear it on both wheels - they wouldn't be synced, so it really should be only one.

Essentially it is solved with a new rim, though if you havn't purchased I would get a different bicycle (same make & model, but not the same one you test rode) - and ensure that there is no clicking on the oher bike.

WIth the brake pads, they couldn't possibly be adjusted to minimise the clicking though if it is a rim issue, you want actually sorted rather than just trying to counter for a manufacturing imperfection.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby notmyrealname » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:48 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Check the rim - if the join is not flush this would be my vote for the most likely cause.

Sorry but join not flush with what? How exactly could I check?

AUbicycles wrote:Essentially it is solved with a new rim, though if you havn't purchased I would get a different bicycle (same make & model, but not the same one you test rode) - and ensure that there is no clicking on the oher bike.

Good suggestion will be test riding some more bikes this weekend.

Cheers.
notmyrealname

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm

notmyrealname wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Check the rim - if the join is not flush this would be my vote for the most likely cause.

Sorry but join not flush with what? How exactly could I check?

Cheers.

The rime is made from a single piece of Al extrusion, curled into shape and either welded or pinned at the joint, typically directly opposite the valve hole.

Sometimes, a not quite right joint with a tiny lip can sneak through the makers QA process and make it out the door, the lip is often enough to cause some noise under brakes.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Red Rider » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 am

I thought it may be the rim, and that may be part of the problem, but there is something else at play also with the clicking noise occurring while coasting, which the rim wouldn't cause.

Since the sound doesn't occur while pedalling there must be something to do around the cassette?
Red Rider

Postby earlybird » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:01 am

I have Alex rims and 105 brakes, and a clicking sound in the front wheel. The join in the rim is noticeable. The solution from the lbs was to adjust the pads so that the front of the pad didn't hit the rim first.
earlybird

Postby notmyrealname » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Think it was the rim(s). Noticed similar issue on a rear Fulcrum wheel, the join is more noticeable than the front. Different store and they said it may get better with time.
notmyrealname

Return to Buying a bike / parts