12 speed-wireless electronic groupset out soon

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

12 speed-wireless electronic groupset out soon

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:40 pm

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/12/12/tis ... -unveiled/

We spied it, they teased it and now it’s official. Tiso’s electronic 12-speed road bike group brings everything it said it would, plus a few surprises.

For starters, the wireless works with radio frequency between the controllers and/or a separate remote. The surprise is that it also works with Bluetooth, letting you control it with your smartphone. The other surprise is that it’ll work with 10 and 11 speed cassettes from SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo!

The system consists of just five parts, the cassette, front and rear derailleurs, shifter levers and control box. The derailleurs use a micromotor and are powered by the control box/battery pack. Shifter levers have rocker switch that faces outward, a nice work around patents on the other brands’ systems.

UDPATED! More photos and details added below!

Click through for more info…

Tiso 12-speed wireless electronic road bike drivetrain group with bluetooth shifting

The cassette gets away with fitting on a standard 10-speed freehub body because they’re full titanium cogs. That makes them strong enough to be thinner and have very narrow spacing. Notice there’s no chain mentioned in the group? It’s designed around Campagnolo’s standard 11-speed chains.

Other noteworthy features:

The system runs off standard (or, preferably, rechargeable) AAA batteries.
Pulley bearings are ceramic
Cassette has all titanium sprockets with a total weight of just 150g for 11-29.

Assembly and set up should be super easy, just run wires to the derailleurs. Based on the loose translation, we’re assuming the shifters run on their own battery power, but again, we’re confirming. Once installed, just set it at zero (meaning the smallest cog, probably) and tell it to start and it’ll self adjust. The controller will also tell it to move the proper amount for different cog counts, so set up for 10, 11 or 12 speed systems should be fairly automatic. Presumably, you’d need a crankset running 11-speed chainrings, though.

Full tech details are coming soon, including any info about a Tiso-specific smartphone app, which we’re thinking would help with quick set up.

Dealer and consumer orders will be taken after the first of the year. For the US, it’ll come through Albabici. Delivery date and pricing aren’t finalized, but it promises to be cheaper than other electronic groups.

UDPATE #1:

Tiso 12-speed electronic wireless road bike group shifter lever

Just received photos of the lever and cassette, more coming soon.

Tiso 12-speed electronic wireless road bike group shifter lever

Yep, that’s 12, and a very nice progression. After all, that’s why Shimano said they went to 11-speeds, was to make for smoother transitions between gears.

Other tech updates:

Rest easy, dear commenters, these are indeed pre-production versions in the video. The rear derailleur will get a carbon fiber cover and more upscale appearance.
The battery box will be much smaller, and in addition to the AAA main batteries, it’ll have a smaller self contained battery for system memory.
The shifters can be set up to work with 10, 11 or 12 speed systems, confirming usability with pretty much any modern drivetrain.
They are officially developing a smartphone app that would allow for control of the system. While their purpose isn’t stated, this should open the doors to other developing training software that autoshifts to adjust cadence or intensity to keep you in the right zone.
Retail availability is targeted for mid-spring, likely late April.
Ross

by BNA » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm

BNA

Re: 12 speed-wireless electronic groupset out soon

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Running on a drivetrain of watch-chain and cogs :roll:

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Oh joy, more stuff we didn't know we needed until out came about...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby rkelsen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Bill in the comments hits the nail on the head:
Bill - 12/12/12 - 3:01pm wrote:I can see hacking your buddy’s Bluetooth connection and making his bike shift at random.

Add in a frequency jammer, and you could lock him into 39/25... :lol:

Personally, I still don't understand what's wrong with cables... :?
rkelsen

Postby Ross » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm sure they have already addressed any potental interference issues. There are plenty of wireless electronic products already out in the market that don't have any issues.

Nobody's forcing anybody to buy it. I'm sure your homes and workplaces are already full of 'stuff'' you don't need. :roll:
Ross

Postby open roader » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Aesthetically not a patch on the usual Tiso drive train components like the 'dress up' kit I was the beneficiary of and the beautiful rear derailleurs of the past. I bet it works perfectly, but as a self confessed velo voyeur I'd not want this hanging on any bike of mine.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm

Unless they can under cut in price or have some magical marketing ploy, I can't see them taking any significant market share. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby DavidL » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:40 am

Would be interesting to see in the flesh and get final pricing on.

Might work well on a long distance bike I have in the planning.

- David.
DavidL

Postby MattyK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am

sogood wrote:Unless they can under cut in price or have some magical marketing ploy, I can't see them taking any significant market share. :roll:

MattyK

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

Why not is the question I have? Of course, it has to perform under some big horsepower. I imagine less drama with crank changing because you just don't need to do it as much LOL

11-27 sounds awwwwwesome :D
Xplora

Postby Snicks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 pm

Based on some of Tiso's equipment in the past I doubt they'll be doing much undercutting
Snicks

Return to Buying a bike / parts